This article aims to tell you all the information for using an angle grinder. Many people are still finding a way to use an angle grinder to smooth concrete in a better way. At times, it may become difficult to proceed. The wrong information or no information will ruin your task equally severely. If you have a correct series of steps that will guide you throughout the process, then you will be confident. So here are the steps about how to use an angle grinder.
Recommended Angle Grinder
So, to achieve this, we have mentioned all the necessary steps in the next section. You can follow them along with us. If you can perform each task along with us, then it will save you time. Otherwise, you can even go through all the steps once before actually starting it. This will provide you an overview of the way to proceed after each step.
Please go through all the steps and follow them in your free time. Never pair it up with some other work; otherwise, you will not understand it properly. We want to perform the task correctly, then do give a read to this article completely.
How To Use An Angle Grinder- Step By Step Process
Here, we will give you the best overview. We are breaking the whole process into small steps for using an angle grinder to smooth the concrete. You can call them as modules. It will guide you throughout the process stepwise. You need to follow these steps sequentially. So, let’s dive into the article without much delay!
The steps are mentioned below, and you can follow them along with us:
Total Time: 45 Mins
First, you need to prepare your workspace. Select a proper place and clean it thoroughly. Take place with enough space. You need more space for placing your workpiece as well as your tools. You can perform these steps outdoors. Doing it outdoors will prevent you from damaging other flammable objects. Use a vacuum, broom, or a mop to clean the floor properly. This will take away all the dust from the floor, and you can start placing all the items. Now, we will move to the next step.
Now, if you are not using a cordless grinder, then you need to run an extension. This you have to use it for the vacuum cleaner also. Make sure that the place is cleaned and dried. If you have used a wet mop, then let it dry and wait for 5 minutes. Now, you need to connect the surface dust shroud along with your angle grinder. There should be a proper connection and fitting of the dust shroud and the angle grinder. To lock the dust shroud in one place, tighten the clamp of the grinding.
Now, after this, connect the vacuum nozzle with an adapter that is present on the dust shroud. And then do this with the vacuum inlet also. Now, make sure that the angle grinder is disconnected before its usage. Fit the wheel of the grinder. You can use the wheel of your choice. This wheel should be connected to the smoothing surface along with the grinder. You can start using a diamond polishing pad here.
Now, you have connected everything in place. This is the time to ensure your safety. Wear all the necessary protective equipment mentioned. Now, you can start smoothing the concrete area. This you can do by moving the angle grinder along the boundary of the concrete area. Now, to get a great consistency, circularly use the angle grinder.
After the above steps, you would be able to smooth a large part of your concrete are. But while working, you can notice the part that has left. This part will be present around the boundary of the concrete surface area. This is occurred due to the dust shroud. It works as a hindrance to the grinding wheel.
So, while smoothing the surface, it prevents the grinding wheel from moving to the surface that is closed to the wall. So, you need to take care of this issue. Try to move the grinding wheel to every corner of the surface slowly.
After performing all these steps, you will be able to use your angle grinder to smooth concrete in the future also without any great difficulty.
Things You Would Need To Use An Angle Grinder
These are the things that you will need while doing the whole task including safety equipments. Make them available for you. If you don’t have anyone of them, then it is worth purchasing them. All the needed items are mentioned below:
- A respiratory protective mask: It will prevent you from inhaling any harmful gas.
- A face shield: It will cover your face entirely and help in your face safety.
- Safety Goggles: These will be working as your eye protector.
- Hand Gloves: It will help you to protect your hands from cuttings and other harmful things.
- A pair of knee pads: It will help you to protect your knees while working.
- A good quality hearing protection: While working, there will be a flow of some harmful particles. To protect your ears from them, you need some ear protectives.
- A vacuum( wet or dry): Get a vacuum with a sufficient length of the power cord. It will help us in collecting the unwanted dust particles. You can even use shop vac.
- A dust shroud surface grinding: Carefully choose a surface grinder. It should fit in the size of the grinder that we are using for our work.
- A bit for removing thin-set: This will you in moving the tiles from one place to the other place.
- A pressure washer: if you do not have it, then you can borrow it on rent for someday. It should have a sufficient amount of oomph.
- Of course, an Angle grinder: If you don’t have it already, then get it from the nearest tool shop.
- A couple of diamond polishing pads: These are needed for both dry as well as wet surfaces. It will be perfect for polishing the stone slab surfaces.
Top Three Angle Grinders For Concrete Material
1. Bosch 1375A
- Compact: Weighing only 3.75 pounds, the Bosch 1375A Angle Grinder is lightweight, compact, and ideal for metal workers,...
- Power: The angle grinder features a Powerful 6.0 amp motor to produce 11,000 no load rpm for professional cutting and...
- Comfort: The 1375A offers a 2 position side auxiliary handle specifically designed to angle to a natural position for...
This angle grinder comprises of a powerful motor of 6 Amperes. It operates at 11000 rpm with no load. And this speed can be used for cutting and grinding applications. It has a great feature to remind you when it needs maintenance. It has a service minder brush system. It stops the grinder whenever it needs maintenance. If you are looking to use it for tiles. See this post.
Isn’t it a good thing! For its excellent safety, it houses an epoxy coating. If you want to use it for any extended application, then you can do it with the help of a switch. This switch is present with a lock on it. It comes as a two-side handled device. This provides excellent comfort to the person who is using it. It is a multipurpose device. It can perform sanding, brushing, grinding, and other related jobs.
2. DeWalt DWE4011
- 7 amp AC/DC, 12,000 rpm motor of the angle grinder is designed for faster material removal and higher overload...
- One-Touch guard of the metal grinder eliminates the need for a tool to adjust the guard location.
- Hex wrench replaces spanner wrench of DEWALT angle grinder - hex wrench can be found in most tool boxes
It comes with a powerful motor. The motor runs about 12000 rpm with 7 amperes. It is useful to remove more amount of the material at a time. It has high overload protection. Due to its one-touch guard system, we can make adjustments without using any tool. It is better for bevelling and grinding purposes. Its spindle thread is compatible with many accessories. We can have a better grip while working due to its lightweight.
3. Hitachi G18DSLP4
- Hitachi 18V Li-Ion 4-1/2`` Angle Grinder(BT) G18DSLP4 New /supply*CPO Commerce**********business_questions, please let...
The specialty of this device is its cordless nature. This helps us to use it anywhere. If we recharge it once completely before working, it can last up to 6 hours. It comes with a high torque motor. This makes it suitable to work on concrete without any issue. We can access its brush externally. So, the replacement of the brushes is straightforward. We don’t need to think much about doing the replacement of brushes. The overcurrent protection Circuit protects it from getting damaged electrically.
1. During the use of the right angle grinder, I observe some particles coming out. What should I do to prevent it?
You can use the guard that is present in your angle grinder. It will properly guide the wheel. While working with the guard, then wear hand gloves. Always wear eye protectives. Keep yourself away from all the dangers and hazards
2. Why an angle grinder is an essential tool?
An angle grinder is handy for any metal fabrication. It is very versatile and easy to use. A single angle grinder with the correct disc can replace many individual tools and devices. Instead of buying different tools, this one tool replaces all of them.
3. What is the standard size of an angle grinder?
You will find an angle grinder of different sizes. The most common size that is used in the UK is 115 millimeters. This size is very compact and light to use. It is useful for most of the grinding works. It is an excellent choice for a beginner as well as for a professional.
4. Which discs should I purchase for my angle grinder?
If you have to purchase the discs for your angle grinder, then you should know the material of your grinder. The material of any grinder decides the type of disc it needs. You first check if it is a metal angle grinder or masonry angle grinder. Also, check the type of operation you want to perform. Accordingly, make the right choice of disc.
5. For the cutting of concrete and masonry, which blade will be the best?
For masonry and concrete cutting, a diamond blade will be the best option. It is powerful. It has the capability of cutting through concrete and other hard materials.
In this article, we tried to put all the information in a better way. These are the correct steps that you need to follow to use an angle grinder at any smooth concrete. If you do it in the wrong way, then it might not result that you want. You need to do this process with the help of the right tools and devices. Never forget to keep yourself safe. Use some protective coverings like goggles and gloves.
If you feel that you are not comfortable with the goggles, then use a face shield. That will work much better in terms of your protection. But keep yourself safe. If you have followed all the tips given, then you would have got a smooth and well-finished edge. If you are not able to do this task initially, then practice it two to three times. It will increase your working speed also. Then after practice, you can go for performing the actual task. Let’s meet you with another useful article. Till then, enjoy your task!