Hardware cloth is made up of hard or soft steel. It depends on the type of manufacturing industry. By seeing the term ‘cloth,’ we will think that it is a type of real cloth. But it is not so. It is not cloth of ordinary kind. The term cloth has come up due to its fragile, layered structure.
As it is made up of steel, we cannot use any ordinary scissors to cut it. We have to use a special cutting tool for this. In this article, we will learn the cutting technique for hardware cloth. Let’s go in the depth how to cut hardware cloth.
How To Cut Hardware Cloth- Step By Step
Total Time: 30 Minutes
In this step, you need to find a proper workspace for your cutting process. A proper place will secure your necessary tools and devices. Search for a place where you can keep your cutting related things safely. See for proper ventilation. It will prevent any damage from fire hazards. While working, you can expect some weather changes at your place.
Be prepared for any such changes. Get equipped with all the safety measures. You will be having many disturbances while working. Try to get a place where less crowd is there. This will provide you peace and concentration while working.
So, get a safer and better place. Get a proper workbench for your work. If not available, then arrange a sawhorse.
In this step, you need to take measurements for your hardware cloth. You should know that how much amount of cloth do you need for your project. Use a ruler and measurement tape for this. Mark all the measurements and keep a record of them.
If you do not have a measuring tape, then you can use a masking tape also.now, you can go to a shop and purchase the required amount of cloth. Buy the cloth with a little extra dimension.
If you cut somewhere wrongly, then you can use that extra part.. this will prevent the wastage of your hardware cloth.
After the purchasing of hardware cloth, you need to ready your cloth for cutting. You can do this by laying out the cloth on your workbench or sawhorse. After laying it down, you can start its cutting. This cloth comes as a roll. Lay it down carefully because it is difficult to handle the roll.
One problem is there because of the roll. You can notice that whenever you try to lay it down, it will come up. So, to prevent this thing, you can use some strong supporting materials. You can use some bricks or heavy objects to place on it. Do not try to work without making it fixed at a place. Lay it down on a flat surface and in a fixed position. Then, it will be easier for you to work.
Now, use the measuring tape and ruler again. Measure the amount of hardware cloth you need to cut. Mark this on the cloth itself. Measure the section for the first cut carefully. After that, you can use the cut portion as a reference for other cuttings. You can use a marker pen to mark the cutting lines.
Now, you have marked the critical cutting lines on the cloth. You can now use them and start your cutting process. Try to use sharp tin snips. Do not forget to wear gloves during this step, at least. Keep the snip at an appropriate angle. Otherwise, you will end up getting a rough edge.
If you want to cut many hardware cloth sections, then tin snips will not be the right choice. There you can use a circular saw. Another best alternative for a circular saw is an angle grinder. It helps you to get different angles. The angle grinder is high-speed for such cuttings.
It will protect your hands and waste of your time.
Now turn on the grinder and cut through the grids of hardware cloth. Repeat this for all the sections of cloth that you want to cut.
As you have completed the cutting of your hardware cloth, you should clean up all the edges. While working, you might get some rough edges. So, now you can adjust them. This can be done using a filer. You can use it according to your need. It will provide you a clean finishing at the end.
Use a brush to remove any dust, if present at last clean, your workspace and surroundings. Place your tools back to their appropriate place.
Things You Need To Cut Hardware Cloth
- A pair of Tin Snips
- Measuring Tape
- Masking Tape
- One carpenter’s pencil or a marker
- Working Hand Gloves
- Face Shield
- A metal filer
- A sharp blade for a replacement if needed
- Safety Goggles
- Earbuds or Ear protectives
- Hardware Cloth
- Any saw-like circular saw.
- Ruler for accurate measurement
Here, we are mentioning that we need commonly. It depends on the type of person to choose a tool. If you are doing a hardware cloth cutting the first time, then you can use these tools and things. You need not overthink in selecting the tools if you are not familiar with them.
The right tools decrease your work time. Be wise while working. Do not think about the cost much if you want to do your task with perfection. These are the minimum tools that you will need. If you do not have any one of them, then buy them online or from any tool shop. Get them as early as possible and start your work to the earliest.
- Always think about your safety first while doing the cutting practices. There will be many particles coming out during the cutting process. And you are working with robust hardware cloth. You have to protect your body parts from such harmful particles.
- Wear safety goggles and then a Face shield. If you cover your face online with a face shield, then the particles may enter your eyes. And you cannot notice them. Also, if you will wear only goggles, then you cannot protect your whole face. So, pair them up while using.
- Wear hand gloves. This will help you in keeping your hands safe. You are working in a cutting environment. If you do not take care of your hand, then you may end up harming them. Whether you are doing the measuring work or cutting work, cover your hands. If you are going to buy new gloves, then purchase the ones that come with proper gripping. This will help you told the tools and devices firmly.
- Work in a place where ventilation is present. There may be individual fire flames. To protect your self from such hazards, you need an open space. Try to work in more areas. Never restrict yourself to one place.
- Do your work in a peaceful environment. If you start your work in a crowded place, then you may end up making mistakes during measurement and cuttings. You need to be focused while doing this task. If you go wrong anywhere, then it will be a mere waste of your workpiece.
- Before starting your work, clean the workspace using some mop or broom. Collect all your essential belongings at a safe place before going to start working on hardware cloth. Make sure that you arrange all the necessary tools. Place them on your workbench. This will help you to work continuously. Otherwise, after every two to three minutes, you need to search for another tool. This will waste your time.
1. Should we use a corded saw or cordless saw for cutting the hardware cloth?
If the length of your hardware cloth is small, then the corded device will do the job. But if you are working with longer hardware cloth, then you should go for a cordless device because the cord may interfere in between the cutting process.
2. Can we do this cutting process in our home?
You can do this process at any suitable place. Just make that place with a ventilation facility and with proper spacing. You can do this at your home as well.
3. What can we use to prevent the rusting of hardware cloth?
It is made of steel, so you need not worry about the rusting issue if you are using it in your home. But if you are using it somewhere outside, then you can buy some protective cover for it. Try to protect it from rainwater and moisture.
4. Should we continue the cutting at one go or with small breaks?
It depends on your cutting tool. If your tool is new and does not produce any heat, then you can do the whole cutting in one go. If you see some heating issues with your device, then do the cutting with small breaks.
5. What is the benefit of using a hardware cloth in place of other durable wires?
Yes, there are indeed many wires available with good strength and durability. But one feature that makes a hardware cloth as a better choice is its flexibility. It is made up of mesh. So, it doesn’t act like an ordinary rigid wire.
This article would have helped you in improving your cutting skills. If you have followed all the steps carefully, then it is straightforward to do this task. It depends on the quality of your cutting tools and devices. If you learn these small but essential tips, then it will help you with your project. There are always many ways to do any task.
But the way that you have chosen will decide the amount of time that you have to put in. If you do not notice these special tricks in the cutting process, then it will take more time for you to complete it. Initially, you may think that it is not your job, and you cannot do this until you are a professional.
But we are sure that after understanding this article, your perception will change considerably. You will learn and remember the process by heart after some time. Practice, practice, and practice. It will help you to overcome your shortcomings. You can always try the process on dummy workpieces first. Then, you can apply it to the original hardware cloth. Let’s meet you in another article. Till then, enjoy the hardware cutting process.