Grinders and Sanders are power tools that are in use in various industries. Professionals use them for different tasks. If you are a beginner or an amateur professional, you need to know their benefits. In this article, we will discuss various aspects of grinders and sanders.
Grinders Vs Sanders: Differences
There are a few points that differentiate sanders and grinders.
1. Materials In Use
You can use two grinders and sanders for a variety of materials. You can use grinders to work with structures. Working with metal needs point processors.
2. The Level Of Structure
Many sanders provide different levels of merit. Overall we feel that sander is more suitable than a grinder.
There is a significant difference between the kind of connections that grinder and sander use. Angle grinders use retaining plates. The range of sander connections is far less than in the grinder.
Power Sanders is in use to smoothen surfaces of wood. They can also free the metal floors of paint. But, grinders are more versatile tools.
Grinders are more hazardous to use than sanders. They have a powerful rotating edge. It may produce a lot of waste. So, wear a proper mask.
Grinders Vs Sanders: Comparison Chart
|You can use them for working with structures.||You can use them for working with metal.|
|They do not provide a good finishing as sanders do.||They provide a more perfect finish to your work.|
|They have many connections.||They have far fewer connections than grinders.|
|They are more versatile than sanders.||They are in use for fewer tasks.|
|They are not as safe as sanders.||They are safer than grinders.|
Grinders Vs Sanders: Overview
This is an amazing power tool that can carry out different tasks. People use them for sanding, brushing, and many other tasks. Grinders are available in various configurations. For amateurs and semi-skilled clients, there are two types of grinders:
- Angle grinders.
- Belt grinders.
The use of a belt grinder is for metals and woods. It is like a belt sander. It is suitable for many tasks, like finishing, deburring, and stock removal. And using Angle grinder, you can carry out fabrication and other construction work.
Professionals use sanders on sandy, clean and smooth surfaces. These tools use sandpaper for grating. The most important sanders are:
The belt sander is in use for shaping and finishing wood and other materials. A belt sander can be handheld and moving or stationary. Benchtop sander is stationary example of it. Professionals use them in the beginning stages of the sanding process. A belt sander can also remove the material at a rapid speed.
A random orbital sander is another handheld power tool used for sanding. The sanding blade of this sander delivers a random-orbit action. They can be electric-powered and air-powered. Another type is orbital floor sanders.
The disc sander is a common stationary machine. It consists of circular-shaped sandpaper that attaches to the wheel. An electric motor or compressed air turns the motor. Professionals use it for rough or fine sanding, depending on the sanding grit.
Grinders Vs Sanders: Safety Rules
While using any power tool or hand tool, safety is important. Grinders and sanders are no exception. So, here are some safety rules you should follow to avoid accidents.
- A grinding wheel needs to be used only on hard metals. You should only use it for steel. You should not use aluminum or plastic on the grinding wheel because it can melt and the pores the wheel. This makes it sits useless.
- Before using the grinder, always make sure that the guard is in place because sparks from the wheel can burn you.
- Be sure that the machine is off before adjusting the tool rests. To be safe, unplug the machine.
- When starting the grinder, makes sure you have taken all precautions. Always wait for the machine to reach full speed.
- You should always hold the workpiece against the tool rest. Never exceed an angle of 30 degrees from tool rest to workpiece.
- For sander, you should hold a workpiece all the time. Hold large pieces by hand.
- Keep your fingers at least 6 inches away from the wheel or sanding belt.
- Avoid using a machine that has a damaged grinding wheel because it can explode.
- Always use the front face for grinding.
- You should never use excessive force for sanding or even grinding. Always work with the piece at a steady pace.
- After grinding or sandering, turn off the machine and wait till the wheel stops. After you turn it off, the grinder becomes quiet. If someone else touches it, there can be a significant accident.
The Best Grinders In The Market:
1. Bosch GWS CI 14-125 1400-Watts Angle Grinder:
- COMPACT: weighing only 3.75 pounds, the grinder is compact and ideal for metal workers, vehicle fabricators, plumbers...
- POWER: features a powerful 6.0 AMP motor to produce 11,000 no load rpm for professional cutting and grinding...
- COMFORT: offers a 2-position side auxiliary handle specifically designed to angle to a natural position for maximum...
This Bosch product provides good performance. It is a very safe product. The 1400-watt motor has overload protection, direct cooling, and lengthy ‘carbon brush’ lifetime. This model has an anti-rotation safety guard, restarts safety, and kickback stops. This ensures the safety of users. The process of changing accessories is easy and fast. This is due to a big spindle, lock switch.
The thin housing provides excellent handling. It is convenient to operate the machine. It is a multi-tasker in true sense. It is a lightweight tool that does not cause strain. It also features an anti-start trigger. This avoids accidental switching on. Its overcurrent protection trigger protects the battery from harm during overload. It is a comfortable tool. It provides enough power to fit the majority of the duties in your home. The only drawback to this machine is that the features are not versatile.
2. Black + Decker Angle Grinder BDEG400:
- Metal gear case for durability and longer life
- 3 Position side handle provides added comfort and control
- Spindle lock for easy accessory changes
It is a handy, simple to use angle grinding tool. This model provides fast results and smooth usage with its three positions side-handle. It has a 650-watt motor, which makes cutting and grinding operations easy. The speed of its wheel is 1200 rotations per minute. Its motor remains cool even after too much work at a moderate load.
The only drawback of this tool is its trigger button. It is very tight and may get stuck sometimes. This grinder has a robust build with a metal operating part and rubber plastic body. It is a lightweight tool, which also makes it easy to transport.
3. Stanley 100mm 600-watt Black and Yellow Angle Grinder:
- Powerful Motor Designed For Heavy Duty Jobs To Carry Out A Large Variety Of Cutting And Grinding Tasks
- Compact Housing Shape Design Allows Comfortable Gripping Resulting In Superior Ergonomics
- Long Endurance By High Quality Commutator And Durable Carbon Brush
This machine is a great performance metal operating tool. It has the power, versatility, and life which a professional need. This model has a no-load speed of around 1200 rotations per minute. This machine is simple to store and use. It also includes off/on the slide switch. There are no drawbacks to this machine.
The model by Stanley is the best product among the three. This is because it has no drawbacks. But, if you cannot find this machine, we recommend the Black + Decker model.
The Best Sanders In Market:
1. DEWALT 20V MAX Orbital Sander:
- Orbital sander with brushless motor provides runtime and efficiency to get the job done
- Variable-speed control of the hand sander from 8,000 to 12,000 OPM to match the speed to the application.
- Low-profile height of the power sander allows user to get close to work surface for precise sanding.
This orbital sander is a lightweight machine weighing around 2 kilograms. It comes with a speed adjusting function. You can adjust its speed from 4,000-11,000 orbits per minute. It comes with a free dust filter for effective dust management. It has some good safety measures. There is one drawback to this machine; its dustbag might unlock while sanding at high speed.
2. Bosch 1250DEVS Random Orbit Palm Sander:
- Dual Mode: Provides 2 Sanding Modes: Random Orbit Mode for Normal Stock Removal or Fine Finishing and “Turbo” Driven...
- VARIABLE SPEED: The 1250DEVS comes with a powerful 6.5 amp variable speed motor (no load speed: 270 to 600 RPM, no load...
- EASE OF USE: Get fast, smooth finishes on a variety of surfaces
It is one of the best models in the market. It weighs around 2.6 kilograms. It needs 340-watts to operate. You can change the speed of this orbit sander. It also comes with a microfilter for dust extraction. But, its only drawback is its weight. It is a little heavier than other models.
3. Bosch GEX125-1 AE Random Orbit Sander:
- Compact, ergonomic design with large softgrip surfaces for variable grip positions and outstanding comfort
- Bosch Microfilter System: perfect, efficient dust extraction
- Speed preselection for material-specific working
The company makes this model with high-quality polyamide. It is a lightweight tool weighing around 1.66 kilograms. It needs 250-watts of power to operate. It comes with a vibration emission design and a built-in dust extractor. The only drawback is its Velcro base. It needs replacement over time, and it is hard to find the replacement.
All three products are good competitors. But, we recommend you to have Bosch GEX150 Random Orbit Palm Sander. It is a top-quality machine from a famous company. If you can’t afford it, we recommend you to have the iBell product.
1. Which is more versatile, Grinder, or Sander?
2. What are the uses of sanders?
3. What are the safety features available in grinders?
4. Which sander should I buy if I have a low budget?
5. Which type of grinder is more in use?
6. Which is the best Grinder and Sander for home uses?
All the information you need is available in the article. You will feel easy to choose the right product for you. Follow the safety rules and enjoy working with your tool!