The uses of angle grinders are not limited. Apart from grinding and polishing, these tools might be used for cutting tiles as well. The shape of the tiles may be square, circular, or rectangular. But the diamond cutting attachment available with the tool serves all needs. There are different grinders meant for various sizes and shapes of tiles. The wet tile saw has been identified as the best. The need for special techniques and tools may not be affordable to all. So how to cut tiles with an angle grinder.
Recommended Angle Grinder For Cutting Tiles
How To Cut Tiles With An Angle Grinder –Step By Step Guide
In the market, various types of angular grinders are for sale. Their types can be electric, pneumatic, cordless, or electric driven. The type depends on the type of work that needs to be performed.
Total Time: 1 Hour
Based on the job profile, you should select the proper angle grinder. In the race, electric grinders are most potent. These tools can contribute to a large number of surface areas. The portability of cordless grinders is most desirable. The pneumatic angle grinders are less effective than the electric ones. But, they can be maneuvered with ease. Hence, before purchase, the manufacturer’s instructions should be learned.
Identify the proper blade before choosing an angle grinder. For smoother tiles, a smooth blade would be required for a smoother surface. For coarser surfaces like brick tiles or concrete, serrated blades would be required.
When the proper angular grinders with the blade have been selected, you can now proceed for tile cutting. But, before the operation, the tile should be adequately clamped. So, it is highly advisable to secure the portion you would like to cut the tile.
Mind you, and dust formation is probable, so work outside or use a well-ventilated room. You must use safety equipment. Glasses and working gloves are mandatory. To avoid noise, use earplugs.
It would be required to mark the proper dimension of tiles to be cut. Use the shape needed to cut. Use a masking tape because they are effective in preventing ceramic tiles from cracking while subjecting to cutting.
Once the angular grinder is ready, blades are ready, and tiles are secured, subject the tile to cut as per the mark. For a smoother edge, sandpapers can be used.
Things You Need To Cut Tiles With An Angle Grinder
- Marble, ceramic, porcelain, or glass tiles: We are using angular grinders to cut tiles; for establishing the credibility of angular grinder’s applications, we are narrating its relation to tile cutting. So types of tiles applicable have been stated.
- A proper blade: The angular grinders can suit blades for smoother as well as coarser surfaces. So, based on the job profile, the blade selection must be made. A proper blade can also be used to cut slates, stucco, and durock also.
- The diamond cutter: The wet cutter saw is best suited for tile cutting ( compare it with your cutter). But the technical complexity has led the path to diamond cutters. Users have trust in tile cutting with the use of a diamond cutter.
- For tile safety, “Masking tape.”: For preventing crack of ceramic tiles when subjected to cutting, the masking tape is essential. For safety against breaking the tiles, the tapes are acceptable.
- Safety equipment like glass, glove, and earplugs: To prevent yourself from damaging effects, these are forms of PPE that you should keep handy. Always remember while using power tools, it naturally demands safety.
- A well-ventilated environment: Dust is a significant problem when performing tasks like tile cutting. These dust particles can damage the respiratory system drastically. For avoiding hazards, an adequately ventilated work location is required.
- A proper grip for tiles: To avoid any dislocation of tiles while cutting a proper clamping is required. So, it would be essential to arrange some proper grip to hold the tile in place.
- Marker pen: The tiles need to be marked for the proper dimension so that cutting jobs can be performed along the mark. The use of a pen can satisfy this requirement.
- Sandpaper: For the edges of tiles smooth, the sandpapers are required. By using the same, a perfect finish can be ensured.
Angular Grinder And Its Use
The multiple DIY features of an angle grinder make them a brilliant tool to possess in your home. It can also be named a hand grinder is a powerful tool used by contractors and construction people regularly. It is capable of grinding, polishing, and sanding, respectively. Like any power tool, it needs safety rituals. If misused, the grinders can be dangerous.
Multiple Grinding Activities That You Can Perform
- You can use it for iron, steel, and other materials (the wet saws cannot)
- Sheet metal work, corrugated iron, and metal roof cladding can be done
- They can be used for brick, stone, and concrete
- Works well on PVC pipes those are wasted
- You can grind and sharpen garden tools
- You can clean welds after steel welding.
- Invariably a hacksaw is capable of performing all the tasks; however, for speedy performance, the angular grinders are excellent. The high rotational speed spun of abrasive circular disc available with angular disc makes them worthwhile.
How To Safely Handle Grinders
Reading the manual carefully to know the power tool well
- Don’t use the grinder if you feel tired
- Don’t hold pieces with hands to cut it
- Locate the supports properly on two sides of the cutting point, avoid too much spacing
- The power tool must be held by two hands to grip correctly.
- Avoid forcing the disk into the cut
- In case of the grinder kickbacks, brace your arms
- Avoid trapping of the saw when the waste is already cut
Like any other power tool, the angle grinders must be maintained well, and a quick inspection must be performed before working. The following need checking
- The plug and flex- May get damaged for exposure to the environment for long.
- The guard needs checking-These parts are useful for orienting sparks upwards or backward. They are also used for directing the scrap downwards. So, check its functionality.
- The side handles-Ensure they are screwed tightly to the tool.
- Check the ventilation slots-To reduce heat; the slots must be free from debris that may block heat dissipation.
- Check adapters-To prevent electric shocks, the adapters connected to the electric panel needs checking.
1. What are the various tasks an angular grinder can perform?
Because of its versatile nature, the angle grinders can be used for carving wood, cutting pipes, tile cutting, etc.
2. Suggest how discs are changed for angle grinders?
The drive bolts have to be removed using a factory spanner. Make sure the power tool is at standstill condition. Replace the disc and tighten the drive bolts in place using a factory spanner.
3. How to operate the angle grinder?
Hold the grinder with two hands. Switch the tool on. Lower the disc with the circular disc rotating and cutting.
4. What is the safest alternative to cut wood quickly?
It depends on the type of cutting tool you have access to. Either you can use a circular saw or a miter saw will work well. However, if you upgrade the existing blade, the purpose can be met.
5. Is it possible to use a grinder as a sander?
Using an angle grinder as a sander is an easiest and most cost-effective alternative. Because of the design of discs provided to an angle grinder, they can be effectively converted.
6. Suggest if discs of angle grinders are interchangeable?
The angle grinders are very versatile, and users can change discs required. So, different wheels are interchangeable.
7. What size in common for angle drivers?
The angle grinders are commonly 4.5 inches, i.e., their discs are of this size. However, for a 9-inch model, we can utilize the 4.5inch tool extension.
8.Is it possible to use 4” disc on a 4.5” grinder?
It is not because of differences in arbor size. 3/8 or 2/2 arbor holes are there in 4’ discs. While 4.5” grinders’ use 7/8 arbor hole
We hope we have answered the question on how to cut tiles with an angle grinder. The angle grinders are a useful home improvement power tool. You enjoy various benefits of using the tool. Apart from grinding, the angle cutters can be used for other cutting purposes too. It is better than any cut off tool.
The use of angle grinders can range from smooth to abrasive operations. Choose the right blade for a specific job profile. For cutting tiles, angular grinders can be used with certain precautions. The angular grinders are found effective for Cutting Square, circular, and semi-circular shapes. Suitable for stone, glass, ceramic tiles.