Angle grinders are the versatile tools used for different purposes in a workshop. It is a powerful tool that you can use to grind metal and cut tiles. Also, it has the potential to sharpen, polish, and grind the material. It provides precise results while cutting the cast iron pipe. But you may wonder how to perform this thing to get the desired results. Then, this article ‘How to Cut Cast Iron Pipe with an Angle Grinder?’ will provide you with the step-by-step guide and detailed information about all the things required to get the best results. You will also get some useful tips to ensure more accuracy and getting precise results.
Recommended Angle Grinder For Cutting Iron Pipe
How to Cut Cast Iron Pipe with an Angle Grinder – Step By Step Guide
Using an angle grinder for cutting cast iron pipe is a good option. The quick and effortless operation makes it suitable equipment for this purpose. Also, it consumes less time than other tools. Here are the steps you can follow to cut the cast iron pipe:
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Step 1: Preparing The Angle Grinder
The ﬁrst and foremost step involves the preparation of an angle grinder for the cutting job. First of all, you have to buy a suitable and robust angle grinder with all the necessary accessories. You can visit the local hardware store or online shopping platforms to purchase them.
After arranging all these things, you need to prepare it. For this, you have to ﬁt the metal cutoff disc or diamond wheel to the angle grinder. Make sure to assemble it safely and correctly. You can also follow the instructions manual.
Step 2: Placing The Pipe On A Workbench
In this step, you need to place the cast iron pipe on a workbench or table. If you want to cut any particular section of the pipe, then you can place the same to get more accurate results. You can prefer a bench vice, if possible, and make it stable to the table.
In case you are operating on-site, and the pipe is positioned vertically, you can use riser clamps to provide support at the ground level or some speciﬁc points.
Step 3: Marking The Section On Pipe
After the ﬁrst two steps, the next step is to select the section on the material you want to cut. You need to mark that spot with a pencil or chalk. You have to remain very careful while doing this. You can also use a ruler for this purpose to get proper and accurate results.
This step is vital because any mistake in marking the section will not only provide you with improper results but also disturb the quality of the iron pipe.
Step 4: Wear Personal Protective Equipment(PPE)
Before you start cutting into the material, you have to make sure that the Personal Protective Equipment is with you. This is because cutting forms a lot of residues and affect the entire process. You have to protect your eyes, ears, and hands. You can arrange several things for your protection. But you should take all the necessary precautions before using the angle grinder.
You have to wear protective goggles to keep your eyes protected during the job. But you have to conﬁrm that you can maintain a good sight over your marked spot. Also, the speed of the angle grinder is very high and must ensure to protect your hands while working.
Step 5: Start Cutting
Now, you have to begin the cutting job. Start the angle grinder and place it over the marked section. You have to continue around the entire perimeter section of the cast iron pipe. This will allow the grinding wheel to penetrate through a single point of the pipe. Also, you have to clear the cast iron residues to ensure proper visibility during the further process.
Step 6: Check The Result
Continue the cutting process for a few minutes. This is because you will not get the desired outcome in a single go. The 4-1/2-inch grinder is not able to cut the larger sections of cast iron pipe in one sweep.
Then, you have to check the result and conﬁrm that the outcome is according to the requirements. You can also use the regular cold chisel. For this, you have to drive the chisel through the last segment to snap the pipe.
Working of Angle Grinder
Before heading towards the steps, it is better to look at the working of the angle grinder. This will help you get a proper idea of its working and the purposes for which it is used. An angle grinder is one of the power tools available in most of the shops. It is a versatile tool powered with cutting and grinding wheels used for grinding, cutting, and polishing. It is compatible with all types of metals. You can perform all these tasks in a short period and get accurate results.
Angle grinders run at a very high speed and have effective performance. You can make the cuts through all types of materials and get results better than the saws. They have a free speed of up to 12,000 RPM. Due to this reason, this tool is the perfect one for cutting cast iron pipe. You can also perform other tasks with an angle grinder. It can be used for cleaning metals. For this, you have to use it with an appropriate disc.
You can remove the ﬂaking paint, cement, and rust from metals. Using a wire wheel helps in removing the layer of rust and preparing it for the paint or oiling. The advantage of using an angle grinder is that it doesn’t damage the metal underneath while removing the paint or rust. This enhances the quality of the metal. There are numerous tasks that you can perform with an angle grinder without any hassle and extra effort ts.
Benefits of Using Angle Grinder
- Angle Grinder is a powerful tool providing an impressive speed of 12,000 RPM. The high-speed makes cutting into rigid materials easy and gives quick and accurate results.
- It is a versatile and handheld power tool. It is used in several workshops due to its potential to perform several jobs such as cutting, grinding, polishing, ﬁnishing, and deburring.
- Metal cleaning is the primary purpose for which the angle grinders are used. Wire wheels and brushes attached to the angle grinder are effective in removing paint, rust, dried cement, and gives a polished look.
- An angle grinder is the best tool for completing woodworking tasks such as cutting and carving wood with ease and accuracy. You don’t need to waste your efforts and time by using a chisel.
- You can also level the joints and smooth out rough surfaces before you ﬁnish the task. It also makes the working with thick woods hassle-free and performs aggressive cutting.
- It provides useful and efficient output. It means that the workers at the workstation can complete the tasks effectively without any problems.
Things You Would Need To Cut Cast Iron Pipe with an Angle Grinder
- Angle grinder and accessories, such as a metal disc.
- Personal Protective Equipment, such as gloves, face mask, and safety glasses.
- Pencil or chalk for marking sections on the cast iron pipe.
Tips to Remember
- Cover your eyes with safety glasses. You have to wear ear protectors, safety gloves, and a face mask. These are crucial while using the angle grinders.
- Always mark the spot properly. Use a pencil or chalk to do the same. You can even use a scale or measuring tape to get more accurate results.
- Ensure to get good quality discs. Cheap and low-quality discs may harm you in the future. You can prefer a diamond disc for longevity and better performance.
- Make sure that the material must not be in contact with the ground. You have to maintain a distance from the ground.
- Never try to put extra force on the blade. This will damage the blade and even cause injuries. Always use the angle grinder smoothly and get the perfect results.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
1. What are the features that make the angle grinder better than other power tools?
Ans. The following are the features that make the angle grinder a perfect tool for the workshops:
• Angle Grinder is a powerful tool providing an impressive speed of 12,000 RPM.
• It is a versatile tool powered with various cutting and grinding wheels used for grinding, cutting, and polishing.
• It can be used for cleaning metals.
• Using a wire wheel helps in removing the layer of rust and preparing it for the paint.
An angle grinder is a strong and quality tool for all the workshops. The tough performance with high-speed makes the woodworking tasks quicker and easier. It is better than most other saws and can be used for different purposes. You can get accurate outcomes, and it can handle loads of work quickly. It is a perfect option if you want to do the cutting, polishing, or grinding on metals or wood. It will ensure to give the best results and enhance the customers’ belief in your work.