Galvanized pipes are steel pipes which are covered in zinc to prevent rust and corrosion; the primary use of this pipe is to supply water to homes; this pipe is an alternative to lead pipe, which is used for water supplies. These pipes can last for about 40 to 50 years.
You need to know how to cut the galvanized pipe, be it for installing new pipes, cut old pipes, or cut through them; you need specific tools.
Tools You Need To Cut Galvanized Pipes
- Hack saw, or a Reciprocating saw.
- A Cloth.
- A vise.
- Metal file or rough grit sandpaper.
- Tape measure.
- Pencil or marker.
How To Cut The Galvanized Pipe- Step By Step Guide
Step 1: Keep Everything Ready
The things you need are:
1. Hack Saw: a hack saw is a fine-toothed saw, they usually have a pistol grip handle, the teeth of a hacksaw are smaller and shorter than a typical saw, which makes it the perfect tool to cut through pipe and conduit, and all the blades are replaceable. When using a hack saw, ensure that the pipe is secured so that it doesn’t move while being cut.
2. Reciprocating Saw: these are versatile tools. This tool can reach through narrow corners easily and can cut into materials very quickly; this saw is also known as a demolition saw.
3. Angle grinder: an angle grinder is another tool that can be used to cut galvanized pipe; although it can take longer than the reciprocating saw, it will give accurate cuts.
4. Tube cutters: these are designed to cut pipes, used by many plumbers, these come in a variety of sizes; based on the size of your galvanized pipe, you can choose the size of the tube cutter; this is a hand tool and has no motor which makes it easy and efficient to use. Tube cutters have two rollers and a cutting wheel. The points are rotated around the pipe by turning the tool handle. After a few rotations, the tool gets tightened so that it can cut deeper into the pipe.
5. Jigsaw: if you have a powerful jigsaw, you can use that also to cut galvanized pipe. Jigsaws need more force to cut through the pipe compared to other materials.
6. Pipe cutter: this tool is specially designed to cut pipes; hence the name pipe cutter is the best tool overall; although it is not the fastest, it is easy to use.
When using these saws, make sure that the blade of the saw is not touching the surface of the pipe, since it will be challenging to get control, instead start the saw away from the surface of the pipe.
These are some of the tools you can use to cut your galvanized pipe.
The other things you will need are:
A cloth, a pencil, or something to mark your points, a measuring tape, a metal file or sandpaper, and a clamp or vise.
Step 2: Holding The Pipe In Place
The vise is the best option. It is a tool that is used to hold the object in place when you are working with it; it prevents the pipe from slipping, and it holds it steadily, which makes it easy to cut.
If your vise grip is not attached to your workbench, then you can use a clamp to secure it.
A tip when placing your pipe into the vise to prevent it from getting cut is to wrap it around a cloth and then place it in the vise.
Step 3: Wear On Protective Gear
Step 4: Cut It
It is essential to let the blade of the tool that your using do the work rather than you forcing and adding extra pressure; this can cause you to damage the galvanized pipe and prevent you from getting clean and precise cuts.
1. Measure the length of the galvanized pipe that you need, make sure that the length is accurate.
2. Mark the pipe where you want to cut it and follow the mark that you make.
3. Place your pipe in the vise.
4. Hold your saw steady when cutting.
5. Take your time; with some tools, it can take a lot of time to cut through but be patient and don’t rush the process.
Step 5: Smoothen The Edges
Smoothening out the edges will make the pipe fit better for the work you need it.
1. Can a galvanized pipe be cut with a hacksaw?
Yes, you can use a hack saw to cut a galvanized pipe; although it is more time taking it can still be used to cut.
2. Our tube cutters and pipe cutters different?
The blade of a tube cutter is very different from a piper cutter. The blade is made of stainless steel, whereas a pipe cutter is made of hardened, tempered steel. Pipe cutters can cut through more rigid materials.
3. What are the cons of a galvanized pipe?
It is Expensive because of the zinc coating.
It is Heavy to handle.
It can develop blockages.
Easier to replace than repair.
Cutting a Galvanized pipe is a simple and easy process if you take your time when doing it, never add extra pressure to the blade or be in a hurry to cut the pipe, the pipe is expensive, which is why measuring the length that your project or work requires before cutting the pipe is essential. You can use a good bot to check where’s an issue with your galvanized pipe.
This can be a dangerous task so ensure the proper safety measure are taken, as mentioned above.