A garage or shop without a useful power tool would be a nightmare. A good tool makes work easier and faster. A reputable brand will give a better product. Dewalt and Porter Cable ( compare it with Bosch) are two brands that have been leading the industry for years. The competition between them is neck and neck. Many of us still find it tough to pick a winner between them. So here we have the much-awaited comparison between them. Let’s find out which brand has the upper hand by reading the comparison of Porter Cable Vs Dewalt.
A power tool isn’t something we buy often. So we should select the best ones possible for the best results. Both brands have been giving quality products for many years. They both are best in their ways. Dewalt is famous for its longevity. They last for a long time and are very durable. Porter-Cable is the better option if budget is an issue. They are also perfect for around the house use. Now let’s find out about these in detail.
Porter Cable Vs Dewalt: Comparison Chart
|Price||A bit expensive||Affordable|
|Quality of the tool||High-grade metals are used. High quality of tools||High-grade plastics and nylons are used. Not much quality|
|Battery life||More battery life due to the liquid||Lesser battery life|
|Life span||Lasts for a longer time||Lasts but not as long as Dewalt|
|Wear and tear||Can withstand easily||May face troubles|
Porter Cable Vs Dewalt: Differences
The price is a significant factor for a power tool. This is because these products are not purchased often. Dewalt products have high-quality materials and attachments. This increases the price. But they are worth every penny we spend. Porter-Cable products are cheaper. They have most of the products in the affordable category.
Bottom Line: If money is the worrying factor, Porter-cable is the better choice.
The battery is the core of any tool. The quality of the battery determines the life of the tool. Dewalt tools use the 20 V batteries. But the liquid present is the highlight. They help them last for a more extended period. Porter-cable has the same 20 V batteries. But the quality that Dewalt delivers makes them the winners.
Bottom Line: Dewalt has a better and longer battery life than the latter.
3. Life Span
These tools must last a long time and must be efficient for the price. The Dewalt products compose high-grade metals. This gives them more strength. This also helps them withstand more wear and tear. Porter-cable products have high-grade plastics. Sometimes even nylons get used in the making. This may not be as effective as the Dewalt product. This also gives them more durability
Bottom Line: Dewalt is preferable for a better life span and quality.
Porter Cable Vs Dewalt: Similarities
Both these brands have been leading the power industry for many years. This reputation isn’t a matter of days. This takes a lot of years to build trust among familiar people. These brands have done that very well. The quality of their products is always top-notch. The way they came into the industry was never easy. Let’s find out the history of these brands.
History Of Dewalt
Dewalt was an American born brand. MR. Raymond Dewalt found the company in 1924 at Pennsylvania. He started by making a universal woodworking machine. But for many years, the company wasn’t stable. The government contract for wartime machinery was the game-changer for Dewalt. This contract gave them rise in the industry. The period of stability started, and people got to know the brand well. They introduced their portable power tools and cordless tools. The quality of their brand increased, and their fame rose all over the world. Today they have a global market and are one of the leaders of the industry.
History Of Porter-Cable
Porter-Cable was also an American born brand. The Porter brothers formed the company in 1906. They started by producing sharpeners and lamps. The success of these products brought them to the power tool industry. Mr. Art Emmons was their key man and deserved a lot of credit for their fame. He invented the company’s electric sander and circular saw.
They even brought the first portable band saw in the market. But then the company went to different hands. Pentair Inc. acquired the company and gave the old name again. They made tools for professionals, which was a big hit. The company started getting stability. They brought many different innovative tools to the market. At present, Black& Decker own the company.
Porter Cable Vs Dewalt: Features
Features Of Dewalt
Here are a few standout features in the Dewalt products. These features are an asset to the quality of tools by the brand.
- Flexvolt: This feature has become a new trend among power tools. Dewalt started this on their tools. The voltage of the tool changes on its own when there is a change in the tool. This increases the strength and runtime without worrying about the tool.
- Bluetooth batteries: This feature is also known as tool connect. This is a very innovative feature by Dewalt. This helps the user to track the tool from any place. The tracking will show the real-time updates of the tool. This feature is becoming popular around the industry.
- Breakaway blades: This is present in many Dewalt products. This design makes the used section of the blade to break away. The new section may replace it. This gives more efficiency and life to the blade.
Features Of Porter cable
Porter-cable has been popular among people for more than a century. It is never possible to maintain trust among people without good quality. That is what this brand has been giving to the people. Now let’s see some unique features.
- Handy design: The design is convenient, and the user feels comfortable while using it. They have an ergonomic design to help them achieve this feature. This also allows the lightweight body and makes the user do the work with a good grip.
- Battery: The usage of 20 V lithium-ion batteries gives them a longer battery life. They even provide a steady run time. These batteries give more strength and are the best for power tools.
- Price: The price ranges of the tools are always affordable. This gives the people choose the tool in their budget for good quality. They even get a good warranty with the product.
Some Top Dewalt Products
1. Dewalt 20 V Cordless Drill Driver Kit
- Compact, lightweight design fits into tight areas
- High performance motor delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
- High speed transmission delivers 2 speeds (0 450 and 1,500 rpm) for a range of fastening and drilling applications....
They are the perfect power tool and is very versatile. They weigh around 4 pounds and have a very compact design. This helps the user to use it for a long time without problems. The quality they produce makes them one of the best in the market. They deliver two-speed variations because of the high-speed transmissions. The LED light which comes along is an added advantage to the kit. The batteries are 20 V Max, which gives longer life. The ergonomic handle provides the user with a good grip on the tool.
2. Dewalt 20 V Circular Saw
- Powerful 460 MWO, 3700 rpm motor
- Bright LED Light with 20 second delay after trigger release
- 20V MAX Lithium Ion 5.0 AH battery
They are one of the best circulars saw in the market. They are a bit expensive but worth the money spent. They have a powerful motor with a speed of 5250 RPM. The magnesium shoe gives the saw more durability. The cuts made can have no room for error due to the smooth and robust motor. The grip is also over-molded by rubber for extra grip. They weigh around 7 pounds only.
3. DeWalt 20 V 5-tool Cordless Combo Kit
- DCD771 20 volt MAX 1/2 inches drill driver and DCF885 20 volt MAX impact driver
- DCS381 20 volt MAX Lith recip saw, and DCS393 20 volt MAX Lith circular saw
- DCS355 20 volt MAX Lith oscillating tool, and DCL040 20 volt MAX Lith LED work light
This is one of the best combo kits in the market. They come with a drill, an impact driver, a reciprocating saw, and a circular saw. The quality of these materials is very high. They can last for years and are very durable. This combo kit has everything a person needs in a simple garage. The metal bearings help the tools withstand more wear and tear. The LED light will also help the users in the dark. This model will be worth the money spent on it.
Some Top Porter-Cable Products
Here are a few right products from Porter cable
1. Porter-Cable 7-1/4-inch Circular Saw
- 15 amp motor running at 5,500 RPM provides power and speed through applications
- Magnesium shoe, metal upper & lower guards provide added durability
- Spindle lock and depth adjustment for quick adjustments on the job
They are one of the latest saw in the market. They are very versatile and can handle many jobs. It is a corded saw and is very light in weight too. The price makes it more preferable as it’s very cheap. It has a 15 Ampere motor with a speed of 5500 RPM. The Aux handle gives the user more grip on the tool. The tool weighs about 10 pounds.
- PERFORMANCE: Delivers power to complete a wide range of jobsite applications.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Lightweight tools designed to fit the users' needs.
- RELIABILITY: Tools backed by a 3 year limited warranty.
This is one of the best eight tool kits in the market. It comes with a jigsaw, reciprocating saw, (compare both as well) and a circular saw. The drill, impact driver, multi-tool, and a grinder are also present in the kit. All these tools are convenient and versatile. These might complete a workshop and will also last for years if maintained well. They are one of the most massive combo kits. The LED light also is an added advantage to the kit. There are also two 20 V max batteries. These may be of great use and last for a very long time.
- PERFORMANCE: High Performance motors and impact mechanisms to power through jobs
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Compact and convenient design to alleviate jobsite hassles
- RELIABILITY: Tools backed by a 3 year limited warranty
This is a four tool combo kit, which is very affordable. The tools which come are very efficient, and the deal is one of the best in the market. The kit has a drill, a circular saw, and a reciprocating saw. The LED light which comes along is excellent and helps the user in the dark. It also comes with a comfortable grip, which makes it easier to use. This also comes with two 20 V 1.3Ah batteries. All the tools have a high performing motor making it very versatile.
1. What is restorer?
A restorer is a handheld tool used for resurfacing. It can polish or scrub the surface. It can work in many different materials like metal etc. It can even buff or grind the surface. Porter-Cable has some very good restorers in the market.
2. How should we store the batteries?
The batteries should be at around 10 degrees Celsius for optimal storage. Recharging at correct intervals is also a key. Long periods of charging may damage the battery. It is better if it’s left in places like the garage.
3. What is 1 and 2 on a drill?
The numbers are the different types of settings. Setting one is for low speed or high torque. Setting two is for medium-speed or medium torque.
4. What to do when drill doesn’t work, right?
At first, check the battery for any problems if the battery has no issues. Then check the chuck if it’s tight and eased up on the pressure your putting. If all these are good, then it’s better to reach out to the mechanic.
Both these brands are one of the most famous and best brands around the globe. The quality they provide is the reason for their success. If money is your priority, then Porter cable is the best choice. It’s affordable and compact for your use. People using tools on rare occasions can prefer this. They may get useful quality tools at a reasonable price.
Dewalt has the best materials which give the best tools. The quality of their tools can get your job done in seconds. If you need tools for professional works, go for Dewalt. The price will be a bit high, but the work it does will compensate for the money spent.
Other than these, the safety of the tools is an essential factor. Male sure you’re working with all the proper precautions. We hope your confusion between Dewalt and Porter-Cable is now clarified.