In simple words, Reciprocating saw is a demolition tool. It is a must in any DIYers inventory. It has sharp blades to cut or rip out materials. They are handheld and useful at places where hammers, crowbar, and other saws fail. It can be corded or cordless. Being multipurpose, it reduces the need for having other tools. It got its name from the back and forth motion. The motion is also called a Stroke. Ripping out old materials in tough. Reciprocating saw helps in slicing through metal, wood, and plasterboard. It is useful in redoing doors, windows, etc. It is also called as Recip saw or Hognose.
Key Parts Of Reciprocating Saw
- Blade- It is the most important part. Blades are versatile in nature. You have a variety of blades for various jobs. A Normal blade is useful for wood. You need special blades for metal and plaster. Having the right blade is necessary for perfect work. Suitable blade depends on material and damage needed. Common types are- Wood cutting blade, metal cutting blade, blades for drywall, etc.
- Motor- The motor powers the blade to cut smoothly. Motors are of two types- Brushed and brushless. Brushed motors are the traditional ones. They have small brushes which conduct electricity. The brushes wear very fast. The absence of brushes lead to a longer lifespan. Brushless motors have a circuit board. It also regulates the electric power. Proper maintenance is needed for both.
- Stroke Length and strokes- Stroke rate defines the motion of saw. Stroke length means length covered in a stroke. It usually starts from 0.75inches. Different stroke rate and length are used for different purposes. Wood needs high stroke rates. Low stroke rates are suitable for metals. You can compare it with jigsaw.
Other Important Parts
- Variable speed dial- This dial helps you regulate speed. You can increase or decrease speed. The speed of saw depends on the material. It is usually located at the top of the saw.
- Blade clamp- Their work it to lock the blade. It is usually tool-less. It helps in changing the blades. Also used for flush cuts.
- Adjustable shoe- This shoe guards the blade. It provides leverage while cutting and protects the blade.
Design And Working Principle of Reciprocating Saw
Designs vary in speed, power, and features. You can use Corded for moderate and corded for heavy jobs. Most of the recipes saws have dial or trigger for regulating speed. The large blade can be used for vertical surfaces as well. A typical recipe saw has afoot at the base. The user can hold or rest the foot on the surface being cut. The motor moves the blade in forward and backward strokes. This motion is similar to the motion of a jigsaw. You have to hold the foot against the material while cutting. This balances the weight to reduce vibrations.
Primarily being a demolition tool, it is used heavily in construction. They are used a lot in houses as well. You can use it for replacing windows and doors at home. Other uses include piping, repairs, tree branch cutting, etc.
Advantages Of A Reciprocating Saw
- It is a multipurpose tool. It is versatile in uses. Once you have it, you don’t need other cutting tools.
- Reciprocating saw can cut through a nail embedded wood. Other saws damage nail embedded woods while cutting. But recip saw can through it easily.
- Reciprocating saw enables easy manoeuvring through cuts. Other saws usually falter at this. Their shape makes them unfit for this. Recip saw has high accuracy in cuts.
- Reciprocating saw can cut in tight spaces. With a streamlined shape, it cuts into small and uneasy spaces.
- Ease of making Plunge cuts. With pointed blades, recipe saws can make precise plunge cuts in different materials.
- Reciprocating saw is best for making overhead cuts. The design and holding grip provide ease of use on ground or overhead.
- LED lighting for working in dim spaces
- Dust prevention by blowing ports. They increase visibility and decrease the mess on site.
- Minimal kickbacks with Anti-vibrational system.
- Comfortable grip.
Selecting The Right Blade
Different blades have different purposes.
- A fine-tooth blade should be used for cutting metal pipes.
- For cutting wood, you should use a coarse blade.
- Plasters are tough. You should use the coarest tooth blade on the plasters.
- Some blades are coated with tungsten carbide. They are toothless. You can use them for cutting stone, tile, or iron.
- A nail cutting wood blade is most suitable for cutting through roof and plywood.
The standard length of the blade is 6inches. You can buy smaller or larger blades owing to your needs. Larger blades reach deeper. Bimetal blades are usually tougher. They are more flexible and have a longer life. When bent, you can hammer the blades and reuse them. Most of the recip saws can fir lots of blades.
Ways To Increase The Effectiveness Of Saw
- You should apply proper pressure on the saw. Keeping the saw tight while cutting controls the cut. It comes from experience. Doing so increases cutting speed. It also reduces the vibrations.
- When using a rocking, work can be faster with the up-and-down motion of the saw.
- You should avoid using saw in siding. You can flip the blade and then cut away.
- Once blades become dull, you should replace them. Dull blades slow down cutting.
- You should unplug the saw when not in use. Especially when changing blades.
- Always wear safety glasses. While cutting metal, also wear hearing protection.
- Wear proper gloves to prevent burns. Saws produce lots of heat.
- You should be careful while cutting walls with electrical connections. Wires, vents, pipes may cause problems.
Do you need a Reciprocating saw?
Now you know what a Recip saw is. You know it’s uses, and working.
The answer to this question is subjective. It may differ from person to person. If you have jobs which involve cutting, ripping and replacing, then it is suitable for you. You can do a lot of works on your own. You need it equally for cutting pipes and frames. Among all other saws, Recip saw has a lot more useful features. With the right blade, you can do the job faster. Recip saw is a perfect fit for a toolkit. It is useful for DIYers and amateurs as well.
Top Reciprocating Saws
From lots of saws, the following are some of the best ones in the market
1.Milwaukee 6538-21 Super Sawzall
- Power Tools and Accessories
- Country of manufacture: United States
- Manufacturer: Milwaukee
This 15 amp beast is really super. High current means more power. It can cut almost anything. It is enabled with constant power features. This ensures that the blade maintains constant power. Constant power improves performance and lifespan. High power saws generally vibrate more. To counter it, it has a counter-balanced mechanism. The mechanism makes sure it runs smoothly. It has a stroke length of 1-1/4 inches. The variable stroke speed ranges from 0 to 2800. It is super fast and useful for professionals.
2.DeWalt DWE305 Corded Reciprocating Saw
- Powerful 12 amp motor of the reciprocating saw is designed for heavy-duty applications
- 4-position blade clamp allows for flush cutting and increased versatility
- Keyless, lever-action blade clamp for quick and easy blade changes
It is the most trusted and budget-friendly product. It has all the features one looks for in a saw. The 12 amp motor is fit for heavy-duty jobs. The stroke length is 1-1/8 inches. Stroke speed varies from 0 to 2900 for faster cuts. With a convenient design, changing blades is easy. The keyless lever-action clamp makes sure you get minimal kickbacks. You can adjust the speed for different materials. Overall, it is a great product from a trusted brand.
3.Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 Fuel Cordless Sawzall Kit
- Delivers the fastest cutting speed in its Class, increased power and the durability of corded saws
- Brushless motor: supplies constant power for faster cuts and reduced heat for extended life
- Intelligence: provides optimized performance and overload protection using Total system communication
Milwaukee produces the best saws in markets today. The 2720-21 Sawzall is cordless thus easily portable. It features a brushless motor for high efficiency, better power, and a long life. The M18 fuel batteries give it double runtime and faster cutting than any other saw. It also has an intelligent system for heating issues. The system optimizes performance by providing overload. You will never face overheating problems anymore. With a LED light, you can use it in dull spaces. The stroke length is 1-1/8 inches. The stroke rate is 0 to 3000 which is very high. You can also look at the complete list of sawzall tools here.
Top Blades For Reciprocating Saw In The Market
1. Porter-Cable PC760R
- 9IN PRUNING BLADE (3 PACK)
- 9IN PRUNING BLADE (3 PACK)
- 9IN PRUNING BLADE (3 PACK)
It is a budget-friendly blade for individuals with light jobs. With a 9inch long blade, it makes deep cuts. A unique feature is that it doesn’t clog while cutting. The 4/5 TPI cuts even wet lumber.
2. Bosch RW66
- Wood blades are color-coded grey for easy identification
- 5° tilt angle for faster cuts, longer life and overall improved performance
- Item Package Dimension: 10.2" L x 1.7" W x 0.6" H
The 6inch long blade is suitable for medium and small-sized cuts. It is made of steel alloys. It also has grey color coding. It has a 6 TPI ideal for pruning.
1. Which blades can fit in Recip saws?
Recip saws have universal shank. They can fit all the blades.
2. Which is best- Corded or cordless?
The answer depends on the task you want to perform. Usually corded ones useful for heavy-duty tasks that need more power. Cordless ones are more useful when you don’t have access to electric power. Cordless saw provides portability. Or You can just use a coping saw.
3. How can one maintain the blades?
Using blade lubricant is an effective method. While cutting metal, you should run the blade in lubricant. This keeps the blade cooler.