Woodworking is a great skill and hobby. It is an excellent decision to start a woodworking business. But there are certain things that you need to think about. You cannot start a woodworking business randomly. First, analyze your woodworking skills at your level.
If you believe that most of your relatives like it, then you can go to present it in public. Then, you can consider starting a small woodworking business. Before that, you need to brush up your skills in it very correctly. This article will provide you all the necessary tips for this startup. Some people pursue it as a hobby. They tend to transform their hobby into a business.
This idea is very nice because you will enjoy it during work. You will acquire satisfaction along with money. Even if you have to work after working hours, then you can easily do it. Because your business is your hobby, let’s see how to start a woodworking business successful.
How To Start Woodworking Business – Step By Step Guide
Step 1: Preparing A Workspace
You should have a proper workshop to start your business. You cannot begin your Woodworking business in a small place or your home. It needs adequate spacing. You need space for your wood pieces and tools that you will use. It will help you to concentrate on your work more. If you do your work in your home, then you won’t feel as if you are working for your business. So, to get that push, you need a separate place for your business.
Also, a proper place will secure your necessary tools and devices. Search for a place where you can keep your woodworking things safely. See for appropriate ventilation. It will prevent any damage from fire hazards. While working, you can expect some clients at your place. So, you should present yourself as a professional. And this is not possible at your home. You will have many disturbances. So, get a safer and better place. It is better if it is near your home. But try to keep your personal and professional life separate.
Step 2: Preparing A Right Business Plan
Now that you have searched a better workspace for your business. Now, this is the time for planning. You should plan your business in the best possible way. When you start your planning, then you will get a clear understanding. You will analyze the real market competition. You need to withstand the current market standards.
While planning, see the feasibility of your ideas. See if your ideas can be implemented practically. Do not work on mere ideas and imaginations. Try to be as practical as much as possible. For each idea, focus on its pros and cons. See if you can eliminate those cons. You should take up those ideas that will help you in the best way. In this planning, you can even mention all the expenses that you have to make. Have a clear and detailed picture of your goal. After doing these plannings, try to implement it on a small scale. Later, modify your idea accordingly and proceed.
Step 3: Planning The Marketing Of Your Business
This is the most essential step in any new startup. You need to expand your business on a large industrial scale. You have to plan for it properly. See all the possible ways of marketing. You have to increase your customers’ numbers. Tell them to advertise for you. This is the one way that will create an advertising chain for your business. ‘
For better marketing, you need to sell your woodwork to other well-settled industries. Then, you will get noticed for your work. If they are satisfied with your work, then they will refer to other industries also to you. It is a great idea to increase any business. After making these small business connections, you should distribute your business cards to all possible shops and industries.
Another best way for your marketing is to create an online profile or website. Many people are connected to the internet nowadays. They prefer doing every work online. So, you will get noticed very quickly. For this, you need to upload your woodworking samples on your website. Your work sample will talk after that.
Step 4: Getting All The Required Documents And Licences
Now, after all these steps, you have gained popularity for sure. Now, this is the time to get all the necessary valid documents and licenses. Whenever you are meeting success in your business, many competitors want to ruin it. This has happened to many people. So, it is your responsibility to keep your business safe.
You can do all these formalities by hiring a personal attorney for your business. He will manage all your official documents and related things. Do not try to cheat anyone. Legally create your business structure. Everything should be crystal clear. The thing that increases your business is trust. This is the thing that you will gain throughout your business. Do not take any step that ruins all the trust that you have achieved.
Step 5: Having A Business Insurance
You should not confuse this with the previous step. This is different from that. You should get business liability insurance without fail. It will protect you and your family. If you meet with an accident, then this insurance will save your family members and money.
Do not think that this is a wastage of money.
Things You Would Need To Start A Woodworking Business
- Woodworking tools and devices
- Other raw materials
- Business cards
- A well-working camera
- An online website of your startup company
- A well-working computer
- Other Miscellaneous
These are the essential things that you need to arrange before starting your woodworking business. These things will cost around $6,000 to $7,000. You need to do a complete cost analysis before starting your business. You should have a clear idea of all the expenses that you have to make.
As you are thinking of starting your startup, you have to spend some money. Everything will not come as freeware for you. To reduce these expenses, initially, you can create your business from your home itself. The total amount of expenditure depends on the amount of business that you want to start. Once you start with the right steps, then you will start seeing profits in your business.
Sequence Of Operations In Woodworking
In this section, we will tell you all the critical operations in woodworking. We will mention them in a series. But there is a possibility of any changes according to your work. It depends on the work that which step you need and which one you do not need. These steps are mentioned by considering ordinary woodworking. Let’s have a look at these steps:
- Felling of trees
- Debarking and Bucking of trees
- Sawing of large logs of wood
- Using Bandsaw for small logs of wood
- Resawing process
- Demoisturizing and drying of wood pieces.
- Planning the work that you want to do
- At last, performing grade stamping and banding of the wood
Certain Demanding Woodworking Business Niche
- Cabinet making
- Cutting board
- Basket Weaving
- Chip Carving
- Craft Supplies
- Candle Holder
- Treehouse Building
- Hardwood Chopsticks
- iPod and Device Stand
- Jewelry Box
- Card Holder
- Bear and Wine Crates
- Wooden Beer Mug
- Furniture related products
These are the basic demands in the current timings. You need to look for a perfect niche for your woodworking business. Before deciding the required niche, you analyze your skills. Take that niche in which you have more interest and talent. Because you will be going to start a business on a large scale. According to your skill set and interest, choose the niche, which is a market demand nowadays.
Important Qualities Of Woodworkers
- Maths Skills: You need to know basic maths and computation. Though you are not doing some kind of engineering, you need to know these basics. A profitable business always knows elementary mathematics and computer. You need to understand how to work on a computer. You should be well versed with the excel sheets, presentations, and word by.
- Physical Strength and Stamina: You all know that this job demands your physical strength. It is not a stable job or a sitting job. You have to work physically. You have to be physically strong. The work timings are not fixed. You may get work at any time of the day. If you are asked to work at night time, you should also be able to do it. You cannot neglect the work. And for this continuity, you need to have good stamina. So, take care of your diet very well. Do not forget yourself in this course of work.
- Communication Skills: As you are working as a woodworker, you will have to speak up. You need to talk to many people and companies. Your communication skills will be your first impression. You may be more talented. You should be able to communicate your talent through your speaking. If you are not reaching the customer or the industry clearly, then they will not understand you. And this leads to the communication gap. Try to talk as much as possible. With this, you will also enhance your personality. Try to communicate clearly. Do not try to beat about the bush. You are not going to give a speech as such. You just need to convey and understand your field related ideas. If a customer is asking something and you do not understand it, then you will not do the task as required. Try to grasp the need of your client and customers.
- Business Skills: The profession that you have chosen for yourself is more like a business. You should act like a business person here. You should know to grow your career. If you need it, then for your interest you can take up some business skills courses. You can be well fitted with your tools and devices. You can be comfortable with your job. But to be a successful person, you need to work as a businessman. Being on time, taking care of all the calls, making a note of every important thing, and many more. Yes, you do not need a degree to be a businessman. You just need the required skills. These skills will not help you to earn money additionally. But it will certainly help you in handling your task more efficiently. And this will eventually lead to growth in your career.
- Mechanical Skills: Mechanical skills are a must in this profession. You will be working as a woodworker. You will work with several cutting tools—this thing you cannot do without some good Mechanical skills. If you feel that you do not have an adequate amount of skills, you can take up a course. Take a course that will help you to brush up all your mechanical skills and tools related knowledge. This course is not as mandatory as a qualification. It is just for your skill upgradation. So, take it very seriously.
- Dexterity: Any woodworker is known for its design. The designs, in turn, depend on the types of tools. You should use modern tools that are developed according to your work. Try to use upgraded devices. If you have older versions, then try to get them upgraded. You can ask any tool shop for this work. Still, if you are not satisfied, then buy a new device. Anyhow you will start your own business. The tool will be useful in your future.
- Detail Oriented: Woodworking depends on the finishing of wood. You need to take care of all the most delicate details. You cannot finish up the work without a good finish. If you do so, then you will see its result in your woodworking business. To prepare a fine and beautiful product, pay attention to all the details. Do the work slowly but with full care. Otherwise, many other woodworkers are competing with you. If you do not perform your work with the utmost attention, they will win in this so-called competition. You need to put extra effort.
- Good Work Ethics: Always follow all the work ethics. These rules and ethics are not mentioned in any book. These come from inside. You need to have all the valid certificates, licenses, and other documents always. You should carry an approval letter or insurance to the workplace. Always get permission from the respective municipality before working. If you are going with some other worker, then ask for permission. Always have other worker’s insurance compensation certificates. Well, there will be very few people who will ask all these things. But you should never do your work with any illegal method.
Sources Of Funding For Woodworking Business
While starting a business, we call up many expenses. If we think wisely, then there are many ways to fund our business. We can start searching for all the possible ways. Let see what all are the ways to get your fundings.
With a clear idea of your business, you can arrange the funding from any of these methods.
- Personal Saving: In such situations, our savings act as a good friend. It will help your business greatly.
- Credit Cards: Nowadays, many people use this for their personal use. Instead of that, you can use it for your business funding.
- Investors: Try to meet many investors. Tell them your startup ideas and gain their trust in you. You can tell them your expectations for this business. You can contact more than one investor. They are ready to invest in a productive business. Do not try to cheat them. They will be accommodating in the future also.
- Partnership: Do not act like a greedy person. Doing a partnership is a good idea. A more number of people generate more ideas. And business is all about creative ideas.
- Crowd Funding: These are non-officials. If you have any difficulty in getting funding from any official authority, then you can go for this option. This option prevents you from many formalities.
- Family and Friends: This is the way by which most entrepreneurs start their careers. We can trust our family and friends. There are no formalities as in other options. They will help you if you inform them about your idea.
1. Should we think of starting a woodworking business from scratch?
This topic is burning out as a debate. Many people think that we should start this business from scratch. There are many shortcomings in doing so. Like we do not have a business mind and a high amount of experience. But some people think that working from scratch is feasible if you have a strong will. Other required skills can be gained in the course of your business itself.
2. What are the possible threats and challenges in the initial days of the woodworking business?
The woodworking business has a broad scope. It is very diverse and flexible. There are many types of work profile that you can think upon. But because of its diverse nature, there are already many entrepreneurs with excellent skills. If you want to be successful in your woodworking business, you should have some special talent and skills. These skills should distinguish from other people.
3. What are some well-known brands in the woodworking industry?
There are 5 to 6 well-known brands in this field. They are in the top 5 for many years. They have maintained their quality of work and assurance. These companies are ANDERSON, CASCO, WEYERHAEUSER, SEKISUI HOUSE, and STORA ENSO. Out of these, the initial three industries are based in the US. Sekisui House is a Japan-based industry. Stora Enso is a Finland based company. These are very reputed woodworking companies.
4. What is the level of competition in this business?
We can see a gradual increase in the level of woodworking business. This is because of the increased level of constructions. The more the construction, the more is the need for woodworking. Many companies make the profit by selling prominent woodworker tool. Other types of companies earn a profit by buying them at a low cost. It is all about market interlinking.
It is not easy to convert your hobby into your business. It asks for outstanding dedication and persistence. But if you are strong in your decision for a woodworking business, you can surely go ahead.
Initially, you may face some challenges. And these challenges are common in any kind of startups. There will be some time when you have to change your normal approach to balance your business. It does not go about a straight path always. You need to explore all the possible ways. You also need to have support from your family and friends. Sometimes you will find a complex solution easily through your family members.
And it will be a foolish thing if you start a woodworking business without any experience. Try to work with the woods for more time. This will give you the required woodworking experience. If you have a good experience, then you can quickly rectify the mistake in your business without wasting much time. I hope this article will help you to improve your woodworking business.