Cutting branches from a tall tree is not an easy task. Many challenges are involved while performing this task. From climbing the tree to the branch cutting, every step has its difficulties. Due to these reasons, several precautions are required to be taken. Here you will get the step-by-step guide on how to cut branches from tall tree with a reciprocating saw. You will also get the necessary details and tips associated with the entire process.
Recommended Saws For Cutting Tree Branches
How To Cut Branches From A Tall Tree – Step By Step Guide
Total Time: 2 Hour
Step 1: Set Up Ladder And Harness If Required
The ﬁrst and foremost step is to set up a ladder against the tree. You have to arrange a ladder suitable according to the height of the tree. Make sure that the ladder is stable and steady on the ground. This will ensure your safety while climbing the tree.
For more protection, you can take the help of someone else to hold the ladder for the entire time of climbing. You can also use a tree climbing harness as an extra safety precaution. It is an optional thing, but this will protect you from slipping.
Step 2: Inspect The Tree And Tree Branches
The next step in how to cut branches from a tall tree is to inspect the tree and its branches before beginning the cutting process. It is necessary to follow this step because you have to check which branches are not needed and have to be cut.
You have to look for the dead or weak branches and debris also that may fall while cutting tree branches. This is because there is a possibility that they may break while performing the task. You have to remember all these things before starting the process.
Step 3: Pruning The Small Branches
In this step, you have to deal with the small branches before heading for the large branches. You can use the pruning clippers and pruning pole to cut off the small branches. This helps in focusing only on the large branches and provides better results.
You have to begin by removing the dead branches of the tree.
It is essential to remove them because they are prone to breakage while cutting the other branches from tall tree. Also, they are a threat to the person standing underneath the tree and may cause injury to him/her. You need to eliminate all these branches to get perfect results.
Step 4: Preparing The Saw And Selecting The Right Blade
Now, you have to prepare the reciprocating saw in the next phase of how to cut tree branches. You have to arrange the saw with the right blade size. Reciprocating saws have a blade attached to the parallel of the axis of the device. The size of the blade varies from 6 inches to 12 inches. This is important to select the right blade size because it affects the cutting results.
For this, you have to measure the diameter of the wood branch that you wish to cut. This will provide accurate measurements and helps in choosing the size of the blade. After you have measured the diameter, then add two more inches to the blade size and attach the same to the saw.
Step 5: Wear Safety Equipment
Make sure to wear the safety equipment before beginning the process. They are essential for personal protection from the dust, pieces of wood, and debris. You have to wear protective eyewear to protect your eyes from the small pieces of ﬂying wood or dust. Also, you can wear work gloves for the protection of your hands from the elements of wood and prevent those pieces from piercing into your skin. Both the equipment are essential for safety.
Step 6: Set The Shoe Of The Saw And Hold The Blade Clamp
In this step, you have to set the shoe of the reciprocating saw. The shoe is an essential part of the saw, which decides how deep your cut will be and how straight you can cut. Both factors are determined by the shoe only. You have to understand the shape and direction of the tree branches. On that basis, you have to adjust the depth and angle of the saw.
The other part of the saw, i.e., blade clamp, is also adjusted according to the requirements. The blade clamp holds the blade at its place. Before starting the process, you have to hold the blade clamp in the right manner. You can take the help of the instructions manual for getting more information about this.
Step 7: Start The Cutting Process.
After preparing all the things and taking necessary precautions, you have to begin cutting the large branches of the tall tree. Firstly, ﬁnd the collar of the tree. The collar is the place from where the branch has started growing. This will make the work easier, and it can be completed in a short period.
Then, you have to start cutting that edge of the branch. Make sure to cut branches from a tall tree at a right angle and in a straight manner. You can follow the same thing for all the branches and get accurate cutting results.
Step 8: Check The Result And Be Careful While Taking Off The Branch
After ﬁnishing the cutting task of every branch, you have to check the results. You can look at each branch again to ensure that it has been cut from the edge or not. In case it requires any further cuts, you can perform it with the saw only. You have to properly do this task because it can also damage the tree.
When everything is done, you have to ensure that the branch is taken off carefully and adequately as well. This is because you have to remain cautious while breaking them as they can fall on the person holding the ladder and injure him/her. You have to allow the branch to fall on the empty place on the ground. It is for those branches that are heavier and larger. For shorter branches, there is no such need, and you can do your work without any hassle.
Things You Will Need
- Reciprocating saw: This tool is used for cutting thicker and larger branches. Its blade is good enough to provide you with the desired results.
- Pruning clippers: It is used for cutting the small branches. It can quickly and safely cut all those branches.
- Ladder and tree climbing harness: Both these things are required for reaching the appropriate height on the tree. A tree-climbing harness is optional but a good option for extra safety.
- Personal Protective Equipment: Safety equipment such as protective eyewear and gloves are required for personal protection. They will provide safety to your eyes and hands from wooden pieces and dust.
Tips To Remember
- Always try to cut as close to the trunk as you can. You have to ensure that no part of the branch remains after cutting. For this, you have to avoid ﬂash cuts and make proper accurate cuts.
- You have to remain careful while using the saw. Make smooth and accurate cuts. Avoid the jagged edges as they don’t get seal after the cutting.
- While dealing with the thick and heavy tree branches, you can cut them three or four times and not in a single go. This reduces the weight load. You should try not to cut the branch collar at the base of the trunk.
- You can cut the larger branches from the bottom ﬁrst. After that, you can cut it from the top to allow it to fall to the ground quickly.
- Be careful while using the reciprocating saw. You can wear safety equipment and avoid any injury while cutting the tree branches.
1. How much thickness of tree branches can be cut with a reciprocating saw? Also, suggest the best models of this saw.
Ans. You can cut the tree branches of up to 12-inch of diameter with a reciprocating saw. Here are the best models of the saw:
• Dewalt DW4802B25 Reciprocating Saw
• SKILSAW SPT44A-00 Reciprocating Saw
2. Which is better to make- a horizontal cut or vertical cut with the reciprocating saw?
It is better to make a horizontal cut for better safety and usability. Always try to purchase the best saw for this purpose.
3. Which tools other than reciprocating saw are better for this purpose?
Although the reciprocating saw is better for this purpose, you can also prefer chainsaws and hand saws.
It is not a challenging task if executed with proper precautions and following the necessary steps on how to cut tree branches from a tall tree. You have to remember some tips and the entire process for completing and achieving the desired results. It is necessary to keep these things in mind and arrange the best tools for the proper outcomes. Also, you have to take every safety precaution and work slowly without any hassle.