After reading today’s topic, you must be wondering: ‘how hard could it be?’ But trust us, when it comes to punching holes in wood, we know what we are talking about. The knowledge of drilling holes is like learning the alphabet of quality. It is not a complicated art to learn, but there are certain tricks and tips to enhance your mastery. In this article, we are going to discuss the correct ways of drilling holes in wood.
Recommended Drill For Wood
How To Drill A Hole In Wood – Step By Step Guide
Total Time: 30 Minutes
The first step is quite simple. You need to start by measuring. You should measure the width of the wood that you are planning to use. Measurement of the wood piece will give you an idea about its thickness. This will help you to determine the length and type of drill bit you should use. The drill bit should be of proper size according to the thickness of the wood piece to drill the hole correctly.
Now, keep in mind that you need to be sure about the type of bit you are using. It is essential for drilling the hole perfectly to choose precisely the suitable bit as you know that there are many bits available in the market. All of these bits have different use and purpose. Some of the significant types of bits are:
Brad Point Bit,
Multi-angle Bit and
Flat Wood bit.
You need to mark the spot where you want to drill the hole. You can use a pencil, crayon, or marker to drill the hole.
Now, it is time to drill the hole. To make sure that you do not miss the marked spot and punch the hole correctly, you should start making a small hole first. Make a small hole at the exact place that you have marked. Use a hammer and nail for this purpose. You can also use a pilot drill bit. Once you make this small hole, it will be effortless to place your drill in the right place and dig a proper hole in the wood.
Now, you have come to the fifth step. You need to fit the drill bit into the hole you have punched in the piece of wood at the marked spot with the nail and hammer.
After you place the drill bit into the hole, you should start drilling. As a beginner, you need to remember that working with a drill is a pretty serious affair. Hence you need to be very careful at all times. It is advisable to start the drill at a slower speed. You can increase the speed of the drill eventually. Again reduce the speed once you are done with the hole.
Take the drill out of the hole completely. Now switch off the drill. It is vital to take the drill out because if you power down the drill while it is still inside the hole, it will be stuck into it.
Before we start our discussion on drilling holes in a piece of wood, you need to understand the drill bits. As you must be familiar, the device used to drill holes in any material is called an electric drill. Similarly, drill bits are the pointed needle-like tools which are affixed at the head of a drill. The drill bits are essential tools that do the drilling. You can also say that it is impossible to use an electric drill without a drill bit.
There are many types of drill bits available in the market. You must know where to use which drill bit to become a good workman. Drill bits are categorized based on their shapes, sizes, materials they are made of, and surfaces they should be used. Since in this article we are talking about wood, we will take a look at the types of drill bits that are considered to be best suited for digging holes in woods.
- Spade Bits: The shape of these bits are like spades. The end of the bit is flat like a spade with a very sharp and pointed center. The purpose of the sharp point is to drill the hole and keep the drill steady at one point while drilling. Spade Bits are relatively cheap and handy to use.
- Hole Saw: Hole saws majorly consists of two parts: the blade and the mandrel. The mandrel is a shaft like structure on which the blade is attached. Mandrel fits into the drill. It is ideal to use with wood and plastic, steel, aluminum, and iron.
- Auger Bits: Auger bits are designed explicitly for woodwork. These come in many types like wood-boring augers, triple fluted wood bits, carbide-tipped auger bits, ice auger, concrete auger, earth auger, etc. These are more useful while drilling big and deep holes in the wood pieces, thicker than usual.
- Forstner Bit: Forstner Bits are used to dig long diameter holes in pieces of wood. There are two kinds of Forstner drill bits:
- with saw tooth rim and
- with a continuous rim.
- The saw tooth rim bits are used for rough and larger holes. Whereas, the continuous rim bits are better suited to small and smooth holes.
- Brad Point Bits: Brad Point Bits are named after their tips. The tips of these bits are also called W-point tips. These bits are used to carve cleaner holes in the wood. These can also be used on plastic.
Things You Would Need To Drill A Hole In Wood
There are certain goods that you will need while drilling a hole into a piece of wood.
- Drill Bit
- Pilot Point Drill Bit
Top Three Drills For Wood
There are numerous brands in the market with an extensive range of products. The big question in front of a potential customer is ‘which one to buy?’ Well, do not worry. We are here to help you. Drills are available in both corded as well as cordless models. Here we are going to enlist three top models of power drills available in the market. We have done a thorough research and made the following selections. These tools are also available on Amazon. So let us begin!
- 🎁 Gift for Father, Husband, Housewife, DIYer 💝
- 👌 READY TO GO Drill Set: GOXAWEE Home Drill Set comes with a complete drill bit sets that can work on both wood and...
- 👍 NO INTERRUPTION on Project: You can constantly work your task. This cordless drill came with 2pcs 1500mAh Li-ion...
GOXAWEE Drill is a complete set of equipment that is a must-have for everyone. This drill set comes along with a set of drill bits. It is perfect to work on both wood as well as metal. This drill appeals to professionals as well as amateurs alike. Loaded with numerous features, this power tool is one of the best ones out there.
- Design: GOXAWEE drills are known for their designs. The designs are easy to hold and perfectly convenient to use.
- Price: This power drill is entirely within your price range. The drill is a durable, heavy-duty tool. Its features account for every penny spent on it.
- High Ratings: The brand is indeed a popular choice among the customers. The review of the drill is quite flattering. It enjoys a high rating of 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon. The rating and love of the former buyers prove it to be a highly efficient and satisfactory tool.
- Uninterrupted Power: The drill is cordless. Two pieces of 1500mAh Lithium-ion Batteries power it. It gets charged very quickly and has a great battery backup.
- Accurate Control: The drill has a feature called variable speed trigger. This feature helps in controlling the speed of the drill.
- Adjustable Mode: An additional feature of the GOXAWEE drill is it’s the flexible mode. It has an adjustable clutch. It enables the user to adjust the tool in about 18 positions.
- Easy To Use One of the features which makes it the most desirable equipment is that it is very user friendly and easy to use. It is not very heavy. Hence quite comfortable to work for longer times.
- Manufacturer: GOXAWEE
- Weight: 5.34 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.87 x 7.87 x 2.17 in
- Model Number: G5050
- Battery: Lithium-ion batteries
- Material: Metal, Plastic
- Power: Battery Powered
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Wattage: 18 Watts
- Torque: 30 Newton Meters
- Speed: 1350 RPM
2. BLACK + DECKER
- Cordless drill with Lithium Ion Battery that is always ready and holds a charge up to 18 months
- The 24 position clutch of this power drill prevents stripping and overdriving screws by providing extra level of control
- Drill/driver with soft grip handle provides added comfort during use
Black & Decker is a byname in the tools industry. Over a century old, the company has cemented its position in the market. This brand has been responsible for providing some of the best tools and equipment since its conception.
- Design: The black and Decker drill has an ergonomic design. It is very lightweight. It is effortless to use. The drill is very long-lasting and durable. It is ideal for drilling in wood, metal, and plastic. A soft-grip handle adds to the convenience during use.
- Power: This drill comes with a strong motor. The tool has a 600W motor. It is enough to guarantee a powerful performance. The high capacity motor ensures a significant and prolonged usage of the device.
- Warranty: Like most of the products from this brand, the drill also comes with iron-clad security. The company offers a two years manufacturer’s guarantee.
- Convenient to Carry: The drill is available in a kit. It comes in a robust carrying case. It is highly practical and necessary for the transportation.
- Adjustable Mode: Much like the GOXAWEE drill, the Black & Decker also features the flexible mode. Its adjustable clutch provides an option of setting the tool on 24 desirable positions according to the convenience of the user.
- Manufacturer: Black & Decker
- Weight: 3.79 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.94 x 4 x 7.75 in
- Model Number: LD120VA
- Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery
- Color: Orange
- Style: 20V Drill/Driver Kit
- Power: Cordless-electric
- Voltage: 20 Volts
- Torque: 300 Inch Pounds
- Speed: 750 RPM
- Special Features: Heavy-duty
- Includes LD120 drill, LB20 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Battery, LCS20 Charger, Brad Point Drill Bits (6), 1 in. Screwdriving Bits (10), 2 in. Screwdriving Bits (9), Nut Drivers (4), Magnetic Bit Tip Holder (1)
- Battery Type: Lithium
- Warranty: 2-Year Warranty
3. K I M O
No products found.
If you are looking for high quality, excellent performance, budget-friendly cordless drill, look no further. KIMO is one such brand which offers you the cheap and the best tools. Its drill is also no exception. The efficient design is another feature that attracts buyers towards this product. KIMO drills are a wise choice for all, be it pros or DIYers.
- Speed: The KIMO Cordless Drills have an exceptional feature of variable speed. The speed of the drill can vary within the range of 0-350RPM to 0-1350RPM. It becomes effortless to regulate the speed of the tool with the help of this feature.
- Lightweight: The design of this tool is very compact and efficient. It consists of a motor made of copper. This helps in smooth and stable operations. The copper motor also reduces the weight of the device. This makes it very easy to use.
- Warranty: The KIMO Cordless Drill Driver Kit comes with a warranty of two years. There is no compromise with the quality and service of the drill.
- Accessories: The tool is available with an accessory kit. It includes 3 Brad Point Drill Bits, 6 Twist Drill Bits, 33 screwdriver bits, 3 Nut Driver Bits, 1 Carrying Bag, 1 Fast Charger, and 1 Battery.
- Manufacturer: K I M O.
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Dimensions: 7 x 5 x 7 inches
- Model Number: T20
- Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery
- Size: Cordless Drill Set
- Color: Green Cordless Drill Driver
- Style: Drill/Drive
- Power: Battery Powered
- Voltage: 20 Volts
- Power: 40 Watts
- Torque: 350 Inch Pounds
- Number Of Items: 46
- Speed: 1350
- Special Features: Compact, Heavy Duty
1. Will KIMO drill through the wood?
Yes. It is designed to drill through wood, metal, plastic, concrete, etc.
2. Which is the best drill bit to make a hole in wood?
There are many suitable bits for drilling holes in wood. However, you need to choose according to your use. Some of the most commonly used drill bits are Spade Bits, Hole Saw, Auger Bits, Forstner Bits, etc.
Now you are all equipped with knowledge of drilling holes into wood. It is an easy process and is a must-learn for all. Just follow the steps listed above, and you are good to go. However, you need to remember that practice is the key to perfection. Also, it is highly advisable to be cautious while working with drills.