Woodworking needs a lot of patience and skill. Nowadays, it has even become a hobby among people. But imagine spending hours in the garage working and not getting any results. So many of us might be wondering about earning money by woodworking from home. So here is a guide on how to make money woodworking from home.
The name defines the term for people who don’t know what it is. It is the act of making things with wood or working with wood. Working with wood may look easy but takes a lot of time and effort to master. The user needs patience while learning each step. If the user is going on the craft side, then accuracy is vital. The user makes each with precision to get the desired result. You can also checkout our post on starting handyman business.
How To Start Woodworking
So if you’re a beginner who has a lot of interest on it, follow these tips before taking the tools in your hand Find the right place and set it up for working with wood. They may release a lot of dust, which can create a lot of mess. So having a separate room for this is a better choice. Make sure the room or garage should have the needed lighting. Lighting is critical to do precise works.
Before working with a tool, understand the wood. Understand how to align the position of the wood. Getting one useful piece of wood needs a lot of effort and trees too. So do not waste them for your comfort. So before getting your tools to work, learn how wood expands and contracts. A useful tool in your hands will make the job very easy. The effort from the user is not needed much if the right tool is there. Maintenance of the tool is also essential. Study the tools and all the internal components.
Learn all the different cuts the tool can do. The tools can make standard cuts and angled cuts. After all, these, practice the cuts in some scraps of wood. This will help us learn how the tool works and how each cut works with the wood. The user can even rent tools if they find it costly or risky to buy. This will get us started with woodworking if you’re a beginner.
How To Make Money Woodworking From Home
Many of us have woodworking as a passion. Now, if you’re very keen on it and want to start making money on it. So here are few ways to get started on earning money with them.
1. Selling In The Locality
Selling your work may attract some buyers and may result in some money. For a small start, get to know about fairs and bazaars in your locality. Start doing some small crafts like frames and toys to begin with. Doing these little tools and selling them will give us an idea. Starting with big products may result positively or negatively. So for safety, begin by small products. If it goes well, use the money and invest it in more significant products.
Fairs and bazaars are places where many people come and get things. So starting to sell your products in these places will let us know what products people prefer. This may even fetch us some big orders if we are lucky enough. All we need is a good board and the tools to make simple frames and crafts. So give this a try if there are some weekend or monthly fairs and bazaars in your locality.
2. Selling Online
The modern era has made everything available on the internet. And people prefer sitting at home and shopping on their phones. So getting our products online can help us begin earning some money. In recent times, there are even people selling products on social media. We have seen this trend on Instagram and Facebook. So do your works and start posting them on social media.
Start a new page for this and do some good advertising. This may give us some small orders, and if we do well, we may get bigger orders. Try to reach out to everyone by advertising the page well. Then start with some photo frames or carvings. If the page reaches well, increase the products from the money earned. If this doesn’t sound good, sell the products on sites like CustomMade. These are platforms that allow users to sell their products online.
There is not much in every place, but winning competitions may fetch some money. But this is not a very sure way of earning as there would be other competitors. If you’re experienced, there are higher chances of victory. Competitions may expect users to do cravings or other frames. Design is the key here, and the competitors will have to do some precise designs to win. Be active in social media pages related to woodworking to get more details.
These are a few ways to start earning money from home by woodworking. For professional-level works, enroll in courses online to get more knowledge. But make sure everything learned gets practiced. This will give the user more experience.
Some Good Woodworking Projects
There are many different projects we can do with wood. But to earn money, here are a few ideas which can get us started.
1. Picture Frames
There are very few houses without a picture frame. So doing some big or small wooden frames for houses can grab us some right customers. The only challenging part with the frames is the joints. Make sure to practice them with some scrap pieces.
Holders are also not very tough to make. People prefer items like this in wood as it gives a good look. Making some pen holders or tea light holders will also be a good start.
3. Small Wooden Boards
We can prefer to make some boards which can have something carved in the middle. Small stuff like these will attract people at home as they love to keep their house artistic.
Many parents still give wooden toys to kids. So making some small and innovative toys can attract a lot of customers. They can be anything like toy cars or like a toy that makes sounds for babies.
Simple boxes of wood are still found in many homes. So making small boxes for jewelry or toys or even for kitchen related items will get some right customers. This is easy to make but make sure the joints are tight.
These are basic ideas that may get us started. If the reach is good and some good income comes, try to invest in more significant projects.
6. Needed Tools
The right tool can make our job easier. So try to get the right tool if you’re very keen. Before buying your tool, practice with some rented tools. Then if you’re confident enough, go ahead and buy the tools. Here is a description of different tools and what they are best in.
- Handsaw: They are the basic saw and are suitable for learning some basic cuts. But they are never preferable for any shape more than 2 x 4 size. They are also called as panel saws. The blades of the handsaw have more teeth and are very sharp. It is a tool that needs some reasonable effort from the user too. So don’t prefer the saw for exact and accurate jobs.
- Jigsaw: They are the best for making different shapes out of your board. They are very versatile and can work with other materials. But they aren’t the best for long and straight cuts. They can do it, but the user might need a saw guide or fence for getting the desired result. The motor in the jigsaw drives the narrow blade up and down at a reasonable speed. This performs the cuts, and they can cut complex shapes.
- Table saw: They are a large saw and are not a portable model. Table saw can do crosscuts, miter cuts, bevel cuts, and ripping jobs. They are a bit dangerous and make sure there are no kids nearby the tool. They can even apply shapes to the edges of the wood stock. They are very versatile and can work for long hours with the same commanding power. They are a very stable tool and can help with very precise crafts.
- Miter saw: They are one of the most versatile saws. Miter saw can do some exact angled cuts without much effort from the user. They can do the angled cuts and the normal cuts too. They are apt for the trimming and molding jobs. The blade is on the swingarm, which moves left or right to do the angled cuts. There are different types of miter saws. They differ by the design and the position of the blade.
- A band saw: Band saw are excellent for powerful cuts and come with an adequate cutting capacity. They are versatile, and they can work with different materials. They are also not very good for straight cuts. They have a blade which consists of a continuous band of the toothed metal between the wheels. This will do the needed cuts for the user. The band saw is very famous for cutting irregular shapes.
- Circular saw: They are a saw with a blade that rotates or spins around an arbor to make the cuts. Circular saws can make a variety of cuts and come as corded or cordless models. They can result in a lot of injuries like kickbacks. So make sure to have all the necessary safety equipment. Their working can give the user some smooth cuts without much effort. The blades rotate clockwise, which makes the blade teeth point downwards.
- Sander: So the sander is a tool that helps in sanding the wood before working with it. Sanding removes all the irregularities on the surface and makes it smooth. This gets done with the help of sandpaper. The sander is a tool with sandpaper to do the abrasion. There are different types of the sander, and the user can choose one based on their need.
- Planer: A planer is a tool used to give a uniform thickness throughout the board. They make the wood have a uniform thickness on both the surfaces. The board gets placed on the planer table, and it goes through the machine’s feed rollers. Then they pass a rotating cutter that removes the board and makes them uniform.
- Router and clamps: A router is a tool that hollows out the area in the wood. They are handy while working with wood. Clamps are essential to hold your boards, and it can help us work in peace without any movement of the board.
1. What is wood dust?
The dust created when any tool gets used to cut wood is wood dust. They are hazardous and create a lot of problems when we work with wood. They can cause respiratory problems and other potential hazards to the skin. There are even some good uses of the wood dust like they get used for making wood pulp. They are even used as fuel in a few methods.
2. How to keep us safe while working with the wood?
Working with wood can cause many serious or even minor injuries. So proper safety measures are significant before working with the saw. Wear tight clothes so that none of the cloth gets stuck in the power tool. Check the blades, whether they are proper are dull or not. If needed, resharpen or change them. Position yourself with an adequate gap between the tool and yourself. The wood dust is hazardous, so make sure there is a method to clean the dust.
3. How to learn woodworking for professional works?
There aren’t many courses or schools for woodworking. There are few available which can help the user get certificates. They can get a basic or advanced skills certificate based on the training. For simple hobby reasons, there are videos and online courses available for free. These may help us learn the basics and begin with some simple woodworking. There are many articles and websites which give us some good content on the tools and methods.
Woodworking is also a form of art, and it needs a lot of skills. So if you’re quite passionate about it, follow the above tips to fetch some good money. This improves your skills and, at the same time, increases your savings too. But make sure to wear all necessary safety equipment before getting your hands on the tool. We hope you’ve got some new ideas and your saws are ready for some action.