Loose nuts and bolts, we mostly have heard the solution, but how does it work, how do we use it…? A torque wrench is an equipment that is primarily used in every household and a must tool for contractors. This small tool comes a lot in handy. It is mostly used to tighten nuts and bolts. In this article, we are going show you how does a torque wrench work.
Types Of Torque Wrenches
Learning the types of wrenches is essential as they would help us decide which one to use, ad in which situation.
- Click: This type of torque wrench precisely tells us when to stop turning the wrench and when the nut/bolt would be tightened. They feature a spring-loaded lever, which is adjustable by turning it. As and when the required torque level is reached, the lever creaks/makes a sound [clicking sound]. The click type of wrench can be used for both tightening and loosening.
- Beam: The beam torque wrench is being used for a long time. It is inexpensive and easy to use. This beam features a handle on it used to derive the force. The scale shows the level of torque or force. Like; the click torque wrench, this can be used for loosening and tightening.
- Electronic torque wrenches: These are digital. The results of the machine are shown by a digital display system. They sense the amount of torque being applied. The memory stick contained inside the wrench saves the readings. These readings can then be accessed on a computer. You can see here how it differ from drive.
- Hydraulic torque wrenches: They are mostly used for industrial-heavy work. They are versatile. They also have a wide range of accessories and applications in this product.
- Micrometer torque wrenches: They are mostly used in the transportation industry like cargo. As the weight of the products can change the freight of the distribution of weight, this machine is essential.
- Dial torque wrenches: They are considered the most accurate wrench to use. They are wider than the other wrenches hence are difficult to use in smaller places. They have frequent use in almost all industries like defense, transport, aerospace, etc.
Torque Wrench Sizes
Depending on the use of the wrench/application of the machine on the product, there are wrench sizes. Each drive is generally reserved for a specific task.
- 1/4 inch: This is the smallest drive and can mostly be used for aluminum has motors. It is an excellent choice for mopeds, motorcycles, etc.
- 3/8 inch: This drive is the smallest one you can use for an automotive repair. It can be used for tightening of spark plugs etc. after the 1/4 wrench drive, this is the most common one in use.
- 1/2 inch: This is the default size used for tightening and loosening nuts and bolts. It can be used on vehicle suspension.
- 3/4 – 1inch: This drive is the largest and won’t come in use, unless and until there is some vehicle construction going on. The 1-inch drivers are mostly paired with breaker bars.
Calibration Of Wrenches
Calibration means markings of readings on scales. Calibration on wrenches is essential. To make sure that the readings given by the wrench are correct, they should be calibrated often. Calibration allows the measurement to be accurate. Their accuracy decreases with time. There is a limit of 5% for error; if the error is more than that, they affect the performance of the machine.
As said, precautions better than cure. If the markings go wrong, they can cause severe issues. Calibration helps the consumer to ensure accuracy, and then the machine can be compared to the international levels. Wrenches must be calibrated after about 2,500-3,000 repetitions. Now, that is hard to keep track, so if the machine isn’t used much frequently, then it must be calibrated once a year [timeframe].
How Does A Torque Wrench Work?
As I have described above, there are various shapes and styles of torques, depending on their application. Usually, a torque wrench looks just like a wrench, but it has several additional highlights. The torque formula is ‘x length = torque’. The amount of torque applied depends on The force applied to the handle of the wrench. You can compare it with impact wrench which is more advanced version.
The handle is made of a very flexible material. Hence, when it is constrained, it is connected. One more advantage of the torque wrench is that they always stay parallel to the arm itself. As the arm mirrors the measure of the torque, it matches the base handle. The calibrated scale is connecting to the internal mechanical indicator. When the desired amount of torque is applied, the indicator shows a signal, such as a click or light. The calibration is mostly done in lb-ft [pound-foot], lb-in [pound inch], or N-m [newton-meter].
How To Use A Torque Wrench?
To use a tool, it must be calibrated. Mostly, they have a lock that needs to be disengaged before they can be rotated. Once the lock is disengaged, rotate the handle to line it up. For example, when using a click torque wrench, one is supposed to put one hand on the pivot to hold it in place and the other on the handle. It is supposed to be used until it starts making a noise.
Once a sound is made, the machine is supposed to be put at a stop, as going on with it over and over again can cause over-tightening. Once the desired work is finished, the wrench is supposed to be put at the lowest level setting. Not putting it to its lowest level of setting may affect its accuracy for future measurements.
Settings Of The Wrench
Turning the handle of the wrench clockwise will increase the force, and turning it counterclockwise will reduce it.
1. Amazon Basics 1/2 Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench
- 1/2“ drive torque wrench with 20-150 ft.-lb/27.1-203.5 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish...
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 4%
This is Amazon’s first option for torque wrenches. This product has lots of durabilities. They resist rust and corrosion. They have a dual-range scale that is pre-calibrated. They come with a plastic storage case. They are easy to port as well. They don’t require any batteries. This product weighs about 3.8 pounds.
The dimensions of this product are 18.9 x 3.3 x 2.8 inches. Chrome vanadium steel is the material they are made of. They can drive about 24 inches inside. They are easy to handle with greasy and oily hands. They are even suitable for heavy-duty. They have a warranty of one year.
2. PRO BIKE TOOL 1/4 Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench Set – 2 to 20 Nm
- Precision Torque Measurement - Install components with calibrated precision - 2.0 to 20.0 Newton Meter torque range with...
- Peace of Mind Protect Your Investment – Over-tightening bolts can cause expensive damage to your bike. Applying too...
- Safe & Easy to Use & Read – Smooth and precise operation. Spring loaded adjustment collar automatically ‘locks’ in...
These have a precise and accurate calibration. They can be used to setting clamps, rotors, headsets, chainsets, lever clamps. They have easy settings and instructions to follow. They have high-quality work. They have dual turning hence, removing the guesswork. They have a newton-meter scale that is easy to ready. They consist of a reversible ratchet. They are the perfect tool as they include adapters in their case. Their dimensions are 27.7 x 3.1 cm. They also have certified calibration. They have a good warranty as well. The company provides replacements and refunds as well.
3. Pro Bike Tool Adjustable Torque Wrench Set – 4, 5, 6 NM
- Accurate Torque Measurement to 4, 5, 6 Nm; three torque levels to cover most recommended manufacturer tightness settings...
- Peace Of Mind - Have you ever worried about over-tightening a bolt and damaging your bike? Remove guesswork and risk...
- Built To Last & Comfortable To Use - Internal construction made from carbon steel. Ergonomic composite mold handle for...
They consist of three setting levels hence making it easy to use and ensures tightness. They can be used for adjusting handlebars, headsets, lever clamps, stem clamps, etc. they have such a feature that once the level of torque is reached, they are clicked out. They are constructed from carbon steel internally.
They have an ergonomic mold handle to hold on to. They are a perfect tool to use for a bike service. They can be carried carry easily as they have a comfortable storage space. They don’t require any battery. Their dimensions are 9.-6 x 5.12 x 1.57 inches. It weighs about 1,54 pounds. They provide replacements and refunds as well. Beyond this you can also check out Dremel kits.
1. What is the most used torque wrench size?
1/2 inch. The size of the wrench also depends on the type which is being conducted.
2. Is a torque vital for a wheel?
A torque isn’t required for a wheel, but it is a good idea to use one as we need to ensure that the wheel is correctly clamped onto the hub.
3. Can pliers be used over-tightening a bolt?
Pliers can be used to loosen nuts and bolts, but the job wouldn’t be done precisely. Pliers are more challenging to use than wrenches for tightening a bolt and nut.
4. Are digital wrenches better?
Digital wrenches don’t provide accuracy. Hence, the original and primitive wrenches are better.
We have explored all the features and functions of the torque wrenches. It depends on the job that is being done. If the job involves an automobile, an electric wrench needs to be used. Torque wrenches are easy to use. We hope you have understood how does a torque wrench work.