The main difference is drilling makes a hole, boring increases the diameter of the hole, reaming gives the finishing. Yes, these are found in the process of originating a hole. The hole fabrication on a surface have different operations, and these are some process of it. Here drilling is a process of creating a hole, boring is a process of enlarging the existing hole, and reaming is to improve the surface Of the hole. Many of you know about drilling, but only a few know about boring and reaming. Various comparisons are found in drilling, boring, and reaming. Here are some reviews of drilling vs boring vs reaming.
Drilling, boring, reaming are some processes that you may see in daily activities. For example, if you want to hammer a nail on a wall, to hang a nice portrait or photograph, you have to make a hole on the wall, which can be done by drilling. So it’s necessary to know the difference between drilling, boring, reaming topics. Let’s get started.
Drilling Vs Boring Vs Reaming: Comparison Chart
|Drilling originates a hole.||Boring enlarge the existing hole.||Reaming finishes hole surfaces.|
|The cutting tool is called a drill.||The cutting tool is called a boring bar.||The cutting tool is called a reamer.|
|Increase the length of the hole but not diameter.||Increase the diameter of the hole but not length.||Both the diameter and length of the hole cannot be varied.|
|The cutting tool is a double point tool.||The cutting tool is a single point tool.||The cutting tool is a multi-point.|
|The quality of the surface is not much good.||The quality of the surface is better than drilling.||A highly finished surface can be observed.|
|It is the first phase of fabrication.||It is the second phase of fabrication.||It is the third phase of fabrication and the finishing phase of the process.|
|The material removal rate is very high.||The material removal rate is less when compared to drilling.||The material removal rate is significantly less.|
|drilling. The material removal rate is significantly less. The different types of drilling are Spot drilling, Centre drilling, Deep hole drilling, etc.||The different types of boring are: Line boring, Back boring, etc.||The different types of reaming are Straight reamer, Rose reamer, Shell reamer, etc|
Drilling Vs Boring Vs Reaming: Differences
- The drilling is a process to originate a new hole.
- The boring purpose is to enlarge the existing hole and extend the diameter of the hole on a solid surface.
- The reaming has a function to improve the surface of the hole, and it maintains accuracy.
2. Tool Used
- Drilling uses a tool called drill, and it is a double point tool. Hence the drills have tow cutting edges.
- The boring bar is the tool used in boring, and it is a single point tool.
- Reamer is the tool used for reaming. It is a multi-point tool. It has a minimum of four cutting edges.
3. Quality Of Surface
- Drilling does not produce a suitable surface. The roughness is more when compared to boring and reaming.
- Boring creates a much better surface when compared to drilling.
- Reaming produces a highly finished surface when compared to drilling and boring so that it can give good accuracy compared to drilling and boring.
- Drilling can change the length of the hole, but not diameter as the diameter depends on the diameter of the drill tool. It cannot be varied in the drill.
- As mentioned, boring is done to increase the diameter of the hole, we can make a tapered hole from a cylindrical one, but the length cannot be varied.
- Reaming is a finishing process where we cannot change the diameter or length of the hole.
- Drilling doesn’t need any particular requirement; just accuracy for centering is required.
- But boring requires an existing hole, which is done by drilling.
- Reaming also requires an existing hole, and especially the diameter of the hole should be equal to the reamer’s diameter.
6. Material Removal Rate
- In drilling material removal rate is high. Because when drilling, we have to originate a new hole that may cause more removal of the workpiece, hence the material removal rate is high.
- In boring, the material removal rate is low when compared to drilling. Because in boring, we have to enlarge the existing hole, which may cause the removal of a small amount of workpiece.
- In reaming, the material removal rate is significantly less when compared to drilling and boring because reaming makes the whole surface smooth, which may not require removal of the workpiece.
Drilling Vs Boring Vs Reaming: Similarities
- All the three are processes drilling, boring, and reaming are in the process of hole fabricating.
- The Cutting tool is used in all three processes. But all the cutting tool is different in a different process.
- While in all the three processes, the excess material is removed from the workpiece. And the process is called a material removal rate.
- All three processes are done on a milling machine, lathe in industries.
Features And Technical Specifications: Drilling Vs Boring Vs Reaming
Drilling Features And Technical Specifications:
- The drilling is a process of cutting a hole in a solid.
- It is called the first phase of hole fabrication.
- The rotary mechanism helps to cut the hole. Just press the workpiece where you want to drill ( you can use drill press if you want )and then rotate a bit.
- Many people think that drilling is done for soft materials only, but it’s not true drilling can be done on any solid surface materials like wood, metal, plastic, etc.
- You can use electricity if it’s a metal object, or it can be done manually if it’s a soft wooden object or wall.
- Drilling is done using a milling machine, lathe, etc.
- There are different types of drilling. Centre drilling helps in making center holes. Deep hole drilling, to make a deep hole. And there are other types of drilling also as spot drilling, micro-drilling, vibration drilling, etc.
- It has a high tool rotating speed. Hundreds to thousands of rotation are required to drill.
Boring Features And Technical Specifications:
- The boring is a process of increasing diameter.
- It is called the second phase of hole fabrication.
- It is also called a secondary finishing process.
- As we use the single point tool, the accuracy of the diameter of the hole is of great extent.
- Here also lathe, boring machine milling machine is used, but every machine is different from others.
- There are different types of boring. Line boring is the one where the tool is supported by both ends of the hole. Back boring is the one where the tool is supported on only one end of the hole.
- It has a low tool rotating speed.
Reaming Features And Technical Specifications:
- The reaming is a finishing process that gives a highly finished surface.
- This is called the third phase of fabrication.
- High accuracy tools like hydraulic fit holders are used for reaming.
- And here, we will get smooth edges for holes in solid material.
- The different types of reamers are, Straight reamer is for minor enlargement, Rose reamer for the rough edges.
- It rotates at a speed of approximately half of the drilling.
Drilling Vs Boring Vs Reaming: Pros & Cons
Pros & Cons Of Drilling
Pros & Cons Of Boring
Pros & Cons Of Reaming
1. What is drilling?
The drilling is a process of originating a hole on the solid surface material.
2. What is reaming?
The Reaming is a finished process to get a highly finished surface near a hole.
3. What is boring?
It is a process of increasing the diameter of an existing hole.
4. What are the different types of drilling?
The different types of drilling are:
Deep hole drilling
Horizontal drilling, etc.
5. What are the different types of reaming?
The different types of Reaming are:
Shell reaming, etc.
6. What are the different types of boring?
The different types of boring are:
Back boring, etc.
7. What is the purpose of boring?
It is used to get the accurate diameter of the hole and also used to make a tapered hole.
8. Which is the machine in which all drilling, boring, and reaming are done?
The milling machines, lathe, and drilling machines are the machines on which all three processes are done.
I hope you got the right information from the above article. Now you know the difference between drilling, boring, reaming, you can make a perfect hole for hanging a lovely photograph on your house wall. Whenever you make a hole, start it by drill, then boring, and finally reaming. This process remains the same and cannot be changed. You cannot ream or bore until you drill. Thank you for reading with patience. And I think you have got the correct answer to your questions in your mind.