A chainsaw is a saw that is the best choice for some heavy-duty work. They can help us cut trees, cut firewood, and also for firewood jobs. A wrong chainsaw can even injure us during work. So getting the right chainsaw will be very important for our work. Many of us might have confusion between the electric and gas chainsaws. Here we have a detailed comparison between the electric and gas chainsaw.
The chain saw are tools that can make our work easy. They can do work way faster than our ordinary saws. Both gas and electric chainsaw are versatile tools. The gas chainsaw is a better option for heavy-duty works and can last for a long time. They can withstand a lot of wear and tear. The electric chainsaw is a better tool for minimal jobs. They are easier to work and portable too.
Electric Chainsaw Vs Gas Chainsaw: Comparison Chart
|Specification||Gas Chainsaw||Electric Chainsaw|
|Portability||Tougher||Easier to move|
|Noise and smoke||More||Less|
|Fumes||Release a lot of fumes||No fumes released|
|Power||Very powerful||Not as powerful as the Gas chainsaw|
|Power source||Fuel and gasoline||Corded-External power sourceCordless-Batteries|
Electric Chainsaw Vs Gas Chainsaw: Differences
The power of a chainsaw is vital as it has to work with more challenging materials. The electric chainsaw can handle some hard materials and deliver efficient cuts. But they aren’t the best choice for heavy-duty work. The gas chainsaw is the better option as it is compelling. It can cut the trees and turn the logs into firewood without much effort. The corded electric chainsaw needs a power source to work. The user can’t find them in the middle of a forest. The cordless electric saw may also run out of charge. But the gas chainsaw doesn’t have any problem like this.
Bottom Line: The gas chainsaw is powerful than the electric chainsaw. See the comparison.
The weight of a chainsaw must not be too heavy. This may cause user fatigue while working for long periods. The gas chainsaws are a bit heavier than the other chainsaws. Even though they can handle some tough jobs, they are a bit heavy. This can give users problems while holding them for an extended period. The electric chainsaw is better in this feature. They do not weigh as heavy as the gas chainsaws. They are lighter and portable too.
Bottom Line: The electric chainsaw is lighter and easier to use.
The gas chainsaw needs the user to mix oil and gas. This may release fumes which may emit bad smell and blow out a lot of smoke. This may disturb the user while working with the gas chainsaw. The electric chainsaw does not have any problems like these as they don’t need oil or gas to run. All they need is an external power source or a battery to run.
Bottom Line: The gas chainsaw may release some fumes, which may result in a bad working environment.
Any user may need to travel to different places for work. So the tool’s portability will play a significant part in these cases. The gas chainsaw is a bit heavy and is not easy to take to different places. The electric chainsaw is better in this case. The corded ones may give users a few problems as a power source would be hard to find at places. The cordless will be a better choice but make sure to have extra batteries if the job is long.
Bottom Line: The electric chainsaw is better in this feature than the gas chainsaw.
5. Heavy-Duty Job
If the job you saw is going to perform is something light, any chainsaw can do it. But for a heavy-duty job, the electric chainsaw is not right. They can’t cut very fast and large trees. The gas chainsaw is better for this case. They can do heavy-duty work with ease. They can cut trees or break fences with commanding power throughout the process.
Bottom Line: The gas chainsaw is better for heavy-duty jobs.
The gas chainsaw engine may need regular checks on it. Even some small problems will affect the durability of the chainsaw. There are not many problems in maintenance for the electric chainsaw. They are straightforward to handle and maintain. They don’t need routine check-ups like the gas chainsaw.
Bottom Line: The electric chainsaw is easier to maintain.
The gas chainsaw is very loud, and the user should wear proper protection before using it. They are loud enough to damage the hearing of the user. The electric chainsaw is not too loud to wear hearing protection. Only when the user pulls the trigger, there will be some noise.
Bottom Line: The electric chainsaw does not produce much noise.
The price of the chainsaw might be an essential factor while choosing the chainsaw. The gas chainsaw may be a bit expensive but are worth the price for the amount. The electric chainsaw is very cheap when compared to the gas chainsaw. Their price is about one third the price of a gas chainsaw.
Bottom Line: The electric chainsaw is budget-friendly than the gas chainsaw.
Description: Gas chainsaw Vs Electric Chainsaw
The Gas Chainsaw
The gas chainsaw is a chainsaw that is apt for some heavy-duty jobs. Chainsaws are suitable for cutting trees, breaking fences, and many other jobs like these. They come in two different types- 2 cycles and four cycles. The two-cycle chainsaw needs the user to mix the oil with gasoline. This gets poured into one tank. This four-cycle chainsaw has separate tanks for oil and gasoline. They can release some fumes and make noises. They are a bit heavier to carry around too.
The Electric Chainsaw
The electric chainsaw runs through an external power source or batteries. They are portable and more compact than gas chainsaws. They are lightweight and get powered by the motor. They don’t have moving parts like the gas chainsaw. They come in two types- the corded and cordless ones. The cordless ones use the external power source, and the cordless model uses the batteries.
Our Top Gas Chainsaw
Let us see some good gas chainsaws and the key features about them.
1. Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw
- X-TORQ - Delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most...
- AIR INJECTION - Centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter....
- SMART START - The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- They are 455 rancher chainsaw, which can handle some very tough jobs with ease. They are 55.5 cc in size.
- They have a two-cycle engine with an inertia activated chain brake. This gives the user more safety while working with the tool.
- They come with a quick-release air filter. They help in easy cleaning, and they can get replaced within a few minutes too.
- They have an automatic chain oiler that keeps the chain lubricated. The side-mounted chain tensioning allows the user to adjust the chain quickly.
- They weigh around 20 pounds and are portable. They have an 18-inch guide bar and include a two-cycle fuel.
- They have a centrifugal air cleaning system that prevents dust and debris. This can protect the air filter, which may lead to longer engine life.
- They have an anti-vibration system, which reduces vibration for more comfort.
- They can deliver some good power and are apt for cutting trees, firewood, etc.
2. Tanaka TCS33EDTP
- They have an engine size of 32.2 cc with a pure fire engine and consume less fuel.
- They have a two-stroke engine that produces low emissions. This makes the tool very safe to use.
- They have a 12-inch top handle, which provides a clean performance. They weigh around 12 pounds.
- They come with an automatic gear-driven oiler for good lubrication.
- They have a side access chain tensioning for convenient adjusting the chain.
- The nose bar has an Oregon chain, which gives the user more control over the cuts.
- They have a rear filter, which is easier to access. They have an anti-vibration system, which gives the user more grip with the tool.
- They come with a lanyard ring with a which helps in climbing.
- Their power can result in higher productivity, and are also very light. This helps the user work for long hours without any fatigue.
- They can work with a variety of applications and can deliver some efficient cuts.
3. Remington RM4214
- HIGH OUTPUT ENGINE WITH 14-INCH BAR & CHAIN: 42cc full crank 2 cycle engine provides greater power and less vibration....
- LIGHTWEIGHT DURABLE POLY CHASSIS: Easy to Handle, lighter in weight, without sacrificing power. This polymer chassis is...
- QUICKSTART TECHNOLOGY: Designed for quicker, smoother and easier pull starts allowing you to get to work right away on...
- They are a 42 cc 14-inch gas chainsaw.
- They have a high output engine with a full crank and two cycles for more power.
- The quick-start technology helps the user for some quick and easy start.
- They weigh around 15 pounds and are lightweight. They have a 14-inch guide bar.
- The saw comes with an automatic oiler that keeps the chain lubricated and helps the chain last longer. They come with two-cycle oils, and if needed, the user can get from the company stores.
- They have a 5-point anti-vibration system and also a cushion wrapped handle for more comfort.
- They have some pro-grade components which enhance the durability of the tool. These do not add much weight to the tool.
- The side-mounted tensioning system saves time and keeps the chain tension consistent.
- The tools also have inertia activated chain brake for more safety, and it can prevent injuries.
- They are worth the price for the quality and power the chainsaw delivers.
Our Top Electric Chainsaw
Let us see some of the best electric chainsaws in the market.
1. Dewalt DCCS670X1
- Tool-free chain tensioning for quick and easy chain adjustments of the cordless chainsaw
- Auto-Oiling with Lubrilink and Lubriwell for continuous lubrication of the battery chainsaw. Quarter-turn oil cap for...
- Chain brake for kick back protection of battery powered chainsaw
- The Dewalt is famous for its high-quality design and power. This chainsaw is also like the other great Dewalt products.
- They are very lightweight and weigh only 12.2 pounds.
- They run with the help of lithium-ion batteries. A charger comes with the tool, and the user needs not to buy one.
- They don’t give too much noise like the other similar chainsaws in the market. They are an ideal chainsaw for noise-sensitive properties.
- A trigger pull can start or stop the tool in seconds. They can make up to 70 cuts without recharging.
- The tool-free chain tensioning helps the tool give proper bar clamping force. They have an excellent bar tightening knob for this reason too.
- The chain brake is excellent, and it can prevent minor injuries like a kickback. The guide bar is about 16 inches.
- The tool has auto oiling, which gives the tool continuous lubrication. Turning the oil cap and the user can re-fill oil when needed.
- The brushless motor can power the tool up to 60 V. This makes them perfect for outdoor and construction work.
2. Makita XCU07PT
- Makita-built outer rotor BL Brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency Equivalent to a 32cc gas...
- Captured Bar nuts and lateral chain tensioning for convenient operation and maintenance
- Variable speed trigger and high chain speed (0-3, 940 FPM) For improved cutting performance
- The Makita XCU07PT is a very powerful chainsaw. They run with two lithium-ion batteries. This makes them deliver a power of 36 V.
- The best part is the auto power-off function. This can save charge as the tool gets shut off when the operation is not happening.
- The lateral chain tensioning helps the user work without any discomfort. The captured bar nuts also help the user work without any problems.
- The XPT technology gives protective seals inside the tool to prevent dust and debris. XPT stands for extreme protection technology.
- They come with the LXT lithium-ion battery. These batteries can last for a longer time and also can charge faster than the standard ones.
- The tool is not very heavy, and they weigh around 19 pounds.
- The motor has variable speed and has a cutting speed of 940 FPM.
- The lock lever in the tool prevents the chain from engaging by mistake. The guide bar is about 14 inches in length.
- The two batteries can make the user get some efficient and powerful work from the tool.
3. Greenworks G-MAX
- They are very lightweight and weigh about 10.4 pounds.
- The brushless motor gives longer life and also excellent efficiency to the tool.
- They do not produce too much noise like the other chainsaws in the market. They do not vibrate much, which makes the user work in peace.
- They need a single push to start the tool. The user can handle the tool without much effort.
- The auto oiling ability of the tool keeps the tool lubricated. They come with a translucent oil tank.
- They can deliver about 30 % more torque. This makes them have a very efficient cutting capacity and can handle hard materials.
- The electronic chain brake is excellent and rigid. It can prevent the user from getting injuries like kickbacks.
- They can deliver up to 40 V and come with a lithium-ion battery.
- They can make 80 cuts per charge, which makes them the right choice for outdoor works. There is an on-board battery indicator that helps the user check the charge.
- The tool can deliver some power cuts for a long time without any changes.
Electric Chainsaw Vs Gas Chainsaw: Pros & Cons
1. Why are chainsaws dangerous to use?
Working with a chainsaw involves a lot of risks. They may cause minor and major injuries. Some of the common injuries are kickbacks, hearing problems, and minor eye injuries. Make sure we wear the right safety equipment.
2. What is an FPM of the saw?
The FPM stands for feet per minute. This tells us the rate at which the blade moves across the work, which is getting cut.
3. What does a guide bar do?
A guide bar gives the user precise guidance and decreases friction loss. They take tough jobs without any warping. There are many types of guide bars. Different chainsaws have different lengths of guide bars.
The chainsaw is perfect for some heavy-duty jobs and is very durable. Both these chainsaws are excellent for different jobs.
If the need is not for many heavy-duty jobs, the electric chainsaw is perfect. They are portable and are suitable for all the yard work. They are a cheaper option too. The gas chainsaw is better for heavy-duty jobs and is mobile. They may cost a bit extra but are valuable for the price paid.
We hope you’re now ready to choose your chainsaw and start working with it.