To know the importance of every chainsaw part, we should have a good idea about it. It is essential to understand the technical aspects of cutting parts of a chainsaw. The main cutting parts of a chainsaw are the bar and the chain. Now, there may be some cases when you need to measure a chainsaw bar and chain length.
Suppose you have to replace your chain in the saw. For this, you need to know the correct measurement of your saw chain. You cannot place any random chain of any length. You won’t handle it. Also, to have a proper chain, you need to have a good bar.
If you need to change the bar of your saw, then you should know its measurement. Isn’t it? Now, with this article, we came up to help you with this task. We will provide you a good step list that will help you to measure a chainsaw bar and chain length. If you were looking for this, then this is the right article for you.
Step By Step Guide For The Process
Total Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Measurement Of Chainsaw Bar
You can quickly determine the length of the chainsaw bar. It is not an easy task if you follow the wrong procedure. But you cannot measure a chainsaw bar and chain length.until you follow the right procedure. You need to use the right tool for its measurement. If you commit any mistakes in your measurement, then the chain and bar won’t fit with each other. A bar that is too long or too short for the bar will not work in the device. You cannot even start the saw with this case.
If you follow the steps given below, then you will be able to measure the chainsaw bar accurately and precisely within no time. It is effortless to follow these steps and to measure a chainsaw bar dimensions.
1. Make sure that you have turned off the chainsaw. You should do all the measurements work with the device by keeping it in off position. You should remove all kinds of spark plug wire from all the plugs. This will ensure your safety when you will perform other steps.
2. Now, you have to find the cutting length of the chainsaw bar. You can do this by using a measuring tape. You can place the tape at the tip of the chain. Now, measure the area of the chain. This area should be measured where the chainsaw bar comes out of the saw body. Now, you should round up this value to a whole number. This rounding should be in an inch. After this, you should keep the number from the previous step on hand. It will help to purchase the chain for the chainsaw.
3. To find the overall length of the bar, remove all the types of plastic or metal coverings on the bar. Remove all the unwanted casings from the chainsaw also. Otherwise, you will not be able to measure a chainsaw bar and chain length correctly and precisely. These metal and plastic casings are for protection purposes. But while doing all the measurements, you should not consider them in any way. Otherwise, you will get the wrong results.
4. After this, you have to measure the entire length of the bar from tip to tip. Don’t consider anything other than the chainsaw bar itself. You have to do this by using the measuring tape. Make sure that the measuring tape starts from 0, and it is not broken. All the numbers should be properly visible on the tape.
5. This measuring number that you got should be greater than the cutting length measurement that you have taken in the earlier steps. Cutting length is the amount of the bar that comes out of the saw casing. This is the area of the saw that performs the cutting operation. Knowing this cutting length will help you to get the best-sized chain for your chainsaw bar. So, in the earlier step, pay full attention while measuring the cutting length. Do not neglect it.
Step 2: Measurement Of Chain Length
The chain is the part through which you perform the cutting process. You should fit your chain on the bar accurately and precisely. When you measure a chainsaw chain length, you should know the two critical technical specifications. These are pitch and gauge. If you want to measure the chainsaw chain length, then you should know about these two things. Let’s have a look at each one of these two essential things.
Measuring the pitch:
1. First, you have to measure the distance between the three rivets that are placed consecutively. Rivets are the connectors present on the chain. You can start selecting these three consecutive rivets from anywhere on the chain.
2. Now, measure the distance between the first and the third rivet.
3. Now divide that rivet distance between its exact half value.
4. The number that you got in the previous step is the pitch of your chain.
Measuring The Gauge:
1. Gauge is the main part of a chainsaw. The primary purpose of this part is to measure the drive links. Without using a tool, measuring gauge can be a little tricky. So, to do that, you need to follow some tricks.
2. Arrange a penny, dime, and a quarter from any tool shop.
3. Now, try to fit each coin into a groove. You will find the groove on the chainsaw bar. You should not force any gauge to fit into the groove. The groove that fits perfectly without any force is the right one.
4. Now, adjust the dimensions of the dime, quarter, and penny. A quarter should be of 0.063 inches, a dime of 0.05 inch, and a penny of 0.058 inches.
5. If the coin of these dimensions is not getting fit into the groove, then you should get a gauge of 0.043 inches. This gauge should fit into the groove.
Things That You Will Need To Measure A Chainsaw Bar And Chain Length
- Measuring tape
- Chainsaw chain
- Chainsaw bar
- A penny
- A dime
- A quarter
1. What is the difference between a chainsaw chipper and a chisel chain?
A chisel chain is a tooth in square shape. It is often grounded in a round configuration, and it is older in design. Whereas, a chipper is a tooth roundly. It is a round filled chain. It maintains it’s edge better in dirty cutting.
2. What is the importance of a pitch in chainsaw measurement?
Knowledge about the pitch is essential in the measurement of any chainsaw part. The sprocket nose pitch houses a rolling guide bar in a particular position. It helps to keep the guide bar in a proper chain pitch.
3. What can we understand from the bar length term?
It is the bar length that decides the amount of utility of any chainsaw. The bar length of a chainsaw chooses to the type of application that a chainsaw can perform. It also determines the number of drive links in a chain.
4. What is the groove width in chainsaw measurement?
These continuous grooves are used to provide perfect side control. You can find these grooves on the outer boundary of the saw. The drive link runs through this groove itself. The groove width also joins the chain oil reservoir with the device.
5. How does the number of teeth help in the cutting process?
The properties of the guide bar are dependent on the number of teeth. So, while measuring the guide bar, you should always consider the number of it. While kickback possibility increase with the increase in the number of teeth more than 11.
Every bar and chain is not right for every chainsaw. For instance, larger chainsaw bars are adequate for powerful saws. Because powerful saws take more energy for driving a chain around a long bar. But the ordinary chainsaws work well with the small bars itself. They don’t need long bars. You cannot place the long bars into them.
Along with the type of bar and chain, you need to know the right dimension of your saw bar and chain. It will provide you the accuracy while using the saw. So, the measurement of the chainsaw bar and chain is critical. We hope that you have understood the process of measuring them and try to adjust them nicely. If you understood this process on how to measure a chainsaw bar and chain length properly, then you can always help others to do it.