A Router and a Dremel are very common tools used by professionals, contractors, home workers, and DIYers. These tools are getting very popular now more than ever because of the high demand for DIY work, projects, and home construction. It is prevalent to get confused between these tools because they are rotary tools and have the same function. But they are not the same. They are very different tools with different features, uses, and specifications. Read on to get a deep insight into each tool by comparing Dremel Vs Router.
Router and Dremel are very different from each other, a Router is a powerful tool used for challenging tasks, and it is used on hard materials, Whereas a Dremel is a brand and used on light tasks and soft material. It is tough to choose just one tool to work with, but if we had to pick, it would be the Router since it works perfectly for the work that we are doing. It is durable and robust.
Dremel Vs Routerl: Comparison Chart
|Power||Less power has around 1.6-amp motor||More powerful has around 5.6 amp motor|
|Durable||Less durable||More durable|
|Speed||Ranges from 6,500 to 13,000 RPM||Ranges from 15000 to 35000 RMP|
|Main uses||Projects related to arts and crafts, small home repairs||Wood-work and cabinetry|
|Materials||Wood, metal, glass, plastic, electronics, and many other materials.||Wood, plastic, plywood, manufacturer timber, and a few other materials.|
Dremel Vs Router: Differences
Power is one of the key differences between these tools. The Router is more potent than the Dremel.
Router tools power motor are around 5.6 amp and can go up to 15amps, whereas a Dremel power motor is only 1.6 amp. This is why using a Router for heavy-duty tasks is the best option because such tasks require potent tools.
2. Collet Size
A collet holds the bits in place; the collet size is different on a Router and a Dremel. The collet size on a Dremel is 1/8-inch, and the collet size on Routers are either ¼ inch or bigger. So this means that a Router tool can use thick diameter bits.
A Router is more durable as compared to a Dremel; this is also because of the collet size since the collet size in a Dremel is small, there is a high chance that the bits can break. Here are some Dremel products that are compared.
Speed is also another factor that is seen in a Router, a Routers speed can vary from 15,000 to 35,000 RMP, but a Dremel speed ranges from around 6500 to 13000 RMP. Dremel tools have lesser speed compared to Router tools.
Router tools are expensive. You can spend thousands to get the right Router model, but Dremel tools are budget-friendly, even the most latest models are affordable.
Both a Router and a Dremel can work on different materials, but the difference here is that because a Router is a more robust and durable tool, it can work on more materials than a Dremel.
Both Router Dremel are versatile tools, but a Dremel is more versatile because it comes with different bit options used to do a different kind of work.
Dremel Vs Router: Similarities
A Router and a Dremel are not similar tools at all, but the reason why people think they are similar and can be interchanged is that:
- They are fast-spinning tools.
- They are rotary tools.
- It can Be used for engraving, cutting, sanding, rounding, etc.
Dremel Vs Router: Best Models
Best Dremel Tools
We have researched and listed the best Dremel tools you can buy.
1. Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool
- Compact, portable, & powerful: 12V Lithium-Ion battery provides maximum performance and run time at all speeds...
- Versatile rotary tool kit: Includes 8220 cordless rotary tool, 1 attachment, 28 high-quality Dremel accessories,...
- Quick accessory changes – Patented EZ twist nose cap makes accessory changes fast and easy without the need of a...
This is a rotary tool model it is compact, portable, and powerful, designed to have a slim body which makes it lightweight easy to carry around, which is a significant advantage; this kit comes with the following:
- 8220 cordless rotary tool.
- One attachment.
- 28 high-quality Dremel accessories.
- A Charger.
- A storage case.
- An accessory case.
- The voltage is 120v.
- It weighs 1.6pounds.
- It is cordless-electric.
- 360degree grip zone.
- 5000-30,000 RMP.
- EZ twist nose cap.
2. Dremel 8050-N/18 Micro Cordless Rotary Tool
- Brilliantly powerful – Cordless rotary tool with LED light offers the perfect combination of size, ergonomics, and...
- LED project light - Front end light illuminates projects for better visibility.
- High capacity rechargeable battery – 8 volt Lithium-Ion battery delivers compact power and longer run times. Always...
This tool is a powerful tool that has an LED light. It is lightweight, variable, precise, versatile, and the perfect tool for DIY projects.
- It weighs 1.1pounds.
- Its voltage is 8volts.
- 5000-25000 RMP.
- LED project light.
3. Dremel 4300-9/64 Rotary Tool Kit
- Premium rotary tool kit - Includes 4300 high performance rotary tool, 5 attachments, 40 high-quality Dremel accessories,...
- High performance motor – Our most powerful motor delivers maximum performance even in the most demanding applications.
- Variable speed - 5,000 – 35,000 RPM with electronic feedback for consistent performance and accurate tool control
The kit comes with nine attachments and 64 accessories. The accessories list includes the EZ change sanding drum, polishing wheels, and wood cutting wheel. See its comparison with 4000 variant.
The attachments included are:
- Pivot Light.
- Garden tool sharpener (679).
- Guard attachment (A550).
- Multipurpose cutting guide (565).
- Sanding/grinding guide (565).
- Flex shaft (225).
- Detailer’s grip (A577).
- Circle cutter and straight edge guide (678).
- Right angle attachment (575).
- It weighs 1.18 pounds.
- The voltage is 120v.
- Has nine attachments.
- The wattage is 215watts.
- It is portable.
- 5000-35000 RMP.
4. Dremel3000-1/25 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
- VERSATILE ROTARY TOOL KIT: includes Dremel 3000 corded rotary tool, 1 attachments, 25 high-quality Dremel accessories,...
- HIGH PERFORMANCE 1.2AMP MOTOR – Provides maximum power and performance at all speeds.
- 6 VARIABLE SPEEDS provide greater control and maximum accessory versatility and precise tool control (5,000 – 35,000...
This Dremel tool kit is a high performing, versatile tool with a unique Airflow system. This helps to cool the tool and prevent it from getting too hot.
It contains the following.
- One high speed cuter.
- Two cut-off wheels.
- One silicon grinding stone and two aluminum oxide grinding stones.
- One carbon steel brush, four felt polishing wheels, and one polishing compound.
- Two sanding drums and eight sanding bands.
- Two various mandrels, one dressing stone, and a wrench.
- It is a very high performing tool; it has a 1.2AMP motor.
- Six variable speeds.
- 5000-35000 RPM.
- 360-degree grip.
- It weighs 3.29 pounds.
- Its voltage is 120V.
The Best Router Tools
1. DeWalt Router Fixed/Plunge Base Kit
- 2-1/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 12.0 amp electronic variable speed motor of DEWALT router provides the power to rout...
- DEWALT plunge router features electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from...
- Micro-fine, depth-adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically for...
This tool is variable and durable. From one of the best tool company DEWALT, the unique feature of this tool is plunge.
- It weighs 8 pounds.
- The voltage is 120 Volts.
- The horsepower is at 1.25.
- The style is it is a compact Router.
- The speed range is between 16000- 27000RPM.
- Comes with LED.
- Spring load release.
2. Makita RT0701CX7 1-1/4 HP Compact Router Kit
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
You have an option to get this with 1-base, 3-base, or just the tool. This is a powerful, durable, smooth, and adjustable tool.
- Slim design.
- Variable speed ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 RPM.
- Quick-release lock system.
- Horsepower is at 1.25.
- It weighs 3.9 pounds.
- The voltage is 120v.
- It is electric-powered.
3. DeWalt 20V Max XR Cordless Router
- Dual LED lights help illuminate the work surface
- Depth adjustment ring allows for fast and easy height adjustments
- Electronic brake slows the motor down faster after the unit is shut off; Speed 16,000 to 25,500 rpm
This Is a brushless, cordless Router tool.
- Comes with LED light.
- Speed is between 16000 to 25,500 RPM.
- It weighs 2.6 pounds.
- The voltage is 20 volts.
4. Porter-Cable Router
- Ergonomically designed to allow for comfortable and assured, single handed control
- Durable 1.25HP motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications, Fixed speed, 27,000 rpm
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
This is a fixed-based Router. This model utilizes a 1-3/4-horsepower motor, which makes it generate an impressive 27,500 revolutions-per-minute, which gives precise cuts.
- Powerful and precise.
- It weighs 9.4 pounds.
- The style is a Router.
- The voltage is 120v.
- The power source is corded electric.
- It has an auto-release collet system.
- It features an over-molded grip.
- 11-AMP motor.
Dremel Vs Router: Factors To Consider When Buying Router Tools
1. Machine Power
A Router that has more power, the better is its performance. It copes better with more challenging materials and substance. It can cut deeper and perform more efficiently. Still, the drawback of choosing a powerful Router is the size, so the user should be careful when selecting because a big size Router makes it challenging to handle delicate work.
To help in selecting a Router, knowing and classifying them is vital, so roughly a Router, which is 750 to 1200W, is for medium work models of 1250W, and more are for heavy work, and those between 400 W -600 are for light work.
The average machine speed ranges from 800 to 3000rpm
All the Routers have good speed, thus ensuring good performance and variable speed motors, which means that they can be changed, the speed required will be based on the type of material used for.
A tip for the beginners Is to first do a test run of the tool by checking if the speed of the Router is accurate for the material that you are working with. This is known as a trial and error method; this is an efficient way to know how much power your material requires.
3. Hand Grips
These tools are hand working tools, which mean that the handgrips are an essential feature. A comfortable handgrip allows you to work for a long duration without getting tired. Therefore when you buy a Router, always ensure that The handgrip gives good operation, control, and balance. The handles should be friendly and easy to hold.
4. Dust Extraction
Most of the Routers are now available with the dust extraction hood, placed around the cutter when working with such tools. Having dust fly around is very common and distracting, which is why the dust extraction hood is the best thing invented, in my opinion.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Dremel
when buying a Dremel tool, it is vital to go for a more versatile tool; Dremel tools are designed to do perfect small tasks, so having a tool be able to do different kinds of work should be given more preference.
Another vital factor to consider is durability now. Since Dremeltools are lightweight and to be used on simple soft materials, they are not very durable, but the tool you pick must withstand some pressure and not break easily when used.
There are long-lasting Dremel tools that withstand corrosion and built using tough materials like iron, steel, durable plastic, aluminum, so research, and then buy the tool.
misusing powerful tools is very dangerous. You should know all the safety features of your tool and ensure that your tool has safety features.
Router Vs Dremel: Attachments And Accessories
Dremel tools come individually and with tool kits, so when you buy a tool to ensure that it comes with attachments and different accessories this way, you don’t spend a lot of time and money for the right accessories to fit your tool.
Spending on Router or Dremel tools is considered an investment. They last for a long time and be very beneficial; therefore, and it is vital that these factors and considered when you buy the tools.
Dremel Vs Router: Overview
Overview Of Router
Routers are versatile woodworking tools that rout also known as hallowing out, it hallows out an area in the wood that you are working with, they are high-speed spinning tools that are used for sanding, cutting, inlaying, building, engraving, sharp edges, and so much more this use highly depends on the bits attached.
Routers are known as versatile tools. There are two standard types of Routers plunged and fixed. A plunged Router allows controlled vertical movements during a cut; this type is used for making cuts, deep groves patter, and template work. Fixed Routers are great to shape edges and are considered an all-purpose Router, and it is compact.
Overview Of Dremel
Dremel is a powerful hand-powered working rotary tool official known as moto-tools; Dremel tools are excellent for sophisticated work like engraving, making ornamental pieces, deburring and other work.
For lightweight, easy duty tasks or working with soft materials a Dremel is used, it has the right power, speed it is versatile, which means that it has a variety of bit options that you can choose from this allows you to do different kinds of work and get creative, you can mix match the tips and use this tool to carve rocks, wood, and other materials.
1. Can a Dremel be used as a Router?
Now both these tools are very different from each other, but a Dremel can still be used as a low power Router. There is this specific table tool known as Dremel 231 Portable Rotary Tool; with this tool, you can use a Dremel as a Router. Some of the features of the tool are:
1. Allows You to convert your corded and cordless Dremel tool to a lightweight, easy to use Router tool.
2. Compact Router table.
3. It weighs 2.15 pounds.
4. The material is wood.
2. What can you do with a Dremel?
A Dremel tool is used for engraving, carving, sanding, etching, also be used to carve rocks, wood, etc.
Mainly beneficial for DIYers and to do small, lightweight tasks.
3. Which tool is more powerful, a Dremel, or a Router?
When it comes to power, the Router is more powerful, and it has more speed, because of which a Router is used to do heavy-duty work and used on hard materials.
4. Can a Router be used to drill?
Yes, you can use a Router to drill. This can be done by using a straight Router bit. It can be used on different materials and projects. A tip when you used the Router to drill does not move it around. Keep it at a steady position cause moving it around can cause an increase in the hole size, which is not a good thing.
A Router and a Dremel are very different from each other both in physical appearances like dimensions, weight, and technical specifications, features like speed, horsepower, etc.
A Dremel is a very general-purpose tool. Many DIYers, house workers have this tool with them because it is perfect when working with soft materials. It is lightweight, easy to use, and highly versatile. There are different kinds of bits that you can use with this tool. This a significant advantage when you want to do specialized work like engraving, carving, cutting, etc.
A Router is a powerful woodworking tool. It is generally used for heavy-duty tasks, or if you are working on hard materials, then you need a Router. It is durable, versatile, and has good speed. This tool is used on hard materials. You can even use this for a long time without getting tired. A Router is more expensive than a Dremel, which is an understandable cause of its uses.