A router table is a stationary machine used in woodworking. The tool used here is a vertically oriented spindle called a router. And the router is a versatile tool found in every shop. Its speed is between 3000 to 24,000. These tables increase versatility. Usually, the router table is used in three ways. So how to use a router table?
One is a fence used; here, the workpiece is moved against the fence. And the second method is the fence is not used, a router bit, and a ball bearing guide is used. And the third method is a pin router is used. The router table is not like a wood router that is used for trimming and cutting edges. The router table is usually used by professionals.
But people who are trying to use this for their projects should know the proper use of the router table. Router table has many applications, and some of the standard woodworking you can do when you have a router table is;
- Woodworking in long, narrow, and small stock.
- Trimming edge
- Template work.
- Router table as joint.
- Dadoes, grooves, slots.
- Stopped cuts.
- Box join.
- Making panel doors.
- Dust collection.
- Finger joints.
- Template cutting.
After you learn the basics of using the router table, you can choose which router table to use. So below, you can get the steps on how to use the router table.
Recommended Router Table
How To Use A Router Table – Step By Step Guide
Using a router table is not so complicated and also not as easy as drinking water. But you have to follow some simple steps so that you can easily handle the router table.
Before you start to the route, remove the waste using the table saw or band saw. Then cut router table fences to get zero clearance opening. Always hold a backboard behind the workpiece. It will avoid blow-out while you are cutting.
Total Time: 1 Hour
You have to set the fence in the perfect location. The perfect location is when you can swap bits. Use a bit bearing with the miter slot, adjust the fence. In the miter slot, insert the jig. By sliding the gauge tight, the wing nuts so that it can secure blocks. After this, remove the jig and start your first cut.
In a router table, you can find an insert that sits below the table or above the surrounding table. Because of this, there is an inaccurate cut or obstruction is found in mid-pass. So to avoid this, you have to level the insert. Some of the commercial router tables will have a set of screws to level the inserts. In some router table, masking tape is used instead of the above method.
The next step is setting the bit height. When you are setting the bit combination square is good because it can set on its own as you adjust the depth of cut. This method is called as standing square. There is another method where you can try to build blocks. Stacking the blocks means keeping the blocks on one above the other.
The advantage of this method is you can feel and see the setting of the bit’s height. This method is called as building blocks. And another method is digital. You can also set the bit height using an electronic measuring device. You have many options for electronic measuring devices.
You can choose on any shopping website. It helps you to get line splitting accuracy. And you can call this method as a digital method. If your device has left out with battery, then you can use the ruler.
The third step is setting the fence. Use the ruler to measure the but centreline and always start from the top of the bit. Always start from the front. By free hand, rotate the dip and verify the tip distance. Then tune it from the back, which blocks and gives you the perfect cut. The distance will be halved from the bit when you move from one side.
The final step is choking the bit. While keeping the workpiece, be careful about the gap because the opening found behind or below the bit can damage your workpiece. In commercial router tables, you can use around close-fitting ring and fence face till they touch the bits. But in the shop made router tables, you can use clamp-on fences and hardboard table. These do not allow you for clearance.
In the table saw blade, the working is dependent on the angle of the fence.
But in router table work is not dependent on fence angle. You can use both fence and guide pin; in both, you have to move the workpiece against the rotation. The force by bit rotation gives the force to work against the guide.
The router table can give you the best precise cuts when you install the different bits. These bits can give you clean flat bottom cuts. Rabbets, tenons, dadoes, and grooves are various bits used for router. The main difference between these three bits is the material removal amount and the configuration.
1. The Rabbets, here the bits, should face the fence. The light which passes gives good and clean cuts. If you move or replace the shifts, it may become an error. And if you are using rabbeting, you can use a straight bit.
2. The tenons, miter gauge, are used to cut tenons. But the tenons should be parallel with the miter slot.
3. The Dadoes, here two jigsaws, are used for smooth cuts. The front fence eliminates the gap, which may damage the workpiece. And extra can be controlled using another jigsaw that is being used in the backside.
4. The grooves, this needs a few extra steps. You have to set the bit, and then you can set the perimeter of the bit. The second step that you have to do is to plunge. Align the joint extent mark on the workpiece. Then the spinning bit is lowered. And in the next step, slide the fence to a stop. When the workpiece is in the left hand, stop it and keep against the fence. And wait until the bit stops altogether and then remove the piece.
Things You Need For Using A Router Table
Now you have to know how to use a router table step by step, but do you know what the things that you should have using the router table are? We have listed some tools that we found essential in your work with the router table. Here are some of the best products that you need with the router table—the best products from Amazon.
1. Bosch RA1141 Router Table
- Ultra-portable design – Features folding legs for fast setup and easy storage
- Easy click router mounting system – Provides easy bit changes and no leveling
- Laminated MDF top – Helps users make smooth and precise cuts
- It is a portable router table.
- Easily attached to any workbench.
- It has an excellent port that can be used for dust collection.
- The product bosch RA1141 machine includes a router table, three mounting plate insert rings, two feather boards, an adjustable guard, a starter pin, outfeed fence shims.
- The work surface is about 27 inches by 18 inches.
- It also has a throat opening of 3 5/8 inches.
2. SKIL RAS900 Router Table
- Accessory storage containers protect and store accessories with router table
- RAS900 comes with 2 containers and includes quick clamp system
- 2 feather-boards help guide work-piece for more accurate routing
- It has a particular container or storage which stores accessories along with the router table.
- It has two containers and a quick clamp system.
- It has two feather boards that help in accurate routing.
- It also has a starter pin and guard that helps in routing curved edges.
- No leveling is required.
3. KREG PRS3020 Feather Board
- Premium Woodworking Tools: Kreg featherboard applies the perfect pressure to ensure perfect cuts
- Applies Perfect Pressure: Saw featherboard has carefully designed fingers for consistent, pressure
- Durable Plastic Polymer Material: Hardy composite body works with a router table, table saw, miter slot, or T-slot
- It is a true FLEX-feather board.
- The product contains two packs of boards.
- This feather board can quickly connect to the miter-slot.
- Here the product installing is also easy.
- Durable plastic is the primary material used for construction.
4. JessEM Router Lift
- 8.8 pounds Product
- Dimensions: 9.25 x 11.75 x 10.1 inches
- THIS MODEL IS DESIGNED FOR USE WITH PC 690/890, BOSCH 1617/1618, DEWALT 610/618/616, CRAFTSMAN 1754/17540/28190
- This model of JessEM is designed for use with PC.
- This lift is made up of aluminum.
- It has double sealed ball bearing construction.
- It has no bent wrenches. The bits can be easily changed without the need for bent wrenches.
5. ROCKLER Router Table Accessories Kit
- 4-Piece Wood Router Table Accessory Kit: Get a cleaner shop and safer, more consistent routing with this convenient...
- 3 Featherboards For Consistent Cut Quality: Two of the router featherboards mount to the fence, exerting pressure down...
- 2-1/2 Dust Port: Keep your router table clean and dust-free with our router dust port. This router fence dust port has a...
- It is a four-piece router table accessories kit.
- It contains three materials:
- It has two rockler fence feather boards.
- It has one rockler table, feather board.
- And one rockler dust port.
- Two feather boards are used in mounting fences.
- And the single board is used to mount the table and helps your work against the fence.
6. Peachtree Safety Supply
- This five piece safety kit is designed to be your essential safety protection to help from getting to close to the...
- Each device in this kit is intentionally made in the SAFETY ORANGE color for high visibility when in use. This provides...
- The general idea behind these safety devices is to help you guide and control your stock when feeding through a table...
- This is a safety package that needs to be with you when you are using the table saw, router table, jointers, and band saws.
- This safety kit includes 5 pieces.
- The package includes two small push blocks, one long push block, one standard width push block, and one narrow width safety v push stick.
- Rubber foam pads are used to make this product.
- For all the machines you use, you have to follow safety measures. Keep all the accessories that you need for the work near your router table. The accessories are scrap wood, double-stick tape, and some other cobbling materials.
- When using a fence, whatever may be the orientation of the fence, your work should be in the direction against to bit’s rotation. If you give the feed in the same direction of its rotation, it pushes the stock away from the fence.
- When you are using the complete board for cutting, start the cutting from the inside edge. Or else you may get the climb cut. While using an entire board, make it flattened and then used it on the router table.
- For safety cutting, the speed of the router should match the size of the bit.
- Using two feather boards will increase accuracy.
- When jointing boards use straight edges without a jointer.
null!– wp:rank-math/faq-block null –>null/p>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>1. In which way the wood should be placed on the router table?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>The bit spin should be anti-clockwise. For routing the outside edge, then feed wood from the right side.null/div>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>2. Define a router table?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>It is a table especially designed with a woodworking router.null/div>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>3. Mention the best router table?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>1. nulla href=”https://thehemloft.com/bosch-ra1181-review/” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>Bosch RA1181 is the best professional router tablenull/a>.nullbr>2. Kreg PRS1045 is the best router table for porting. null/div>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>4. Do we compulsory need a table for the router?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>Yes, we need a table for a router, and also we should have a wood router.null/div>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>5. Can we use the router to cut through the woods?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>Yes, router tables can be used in woods. But every time, the router should be in a pattern.null/div>
nullh3 class=”rank-math-question”>6. What are the main advantages of the router table?null/h3>
nulldiv class=”rank-math-answer”>There are many uses of router table;nullbr>1. The router table is easy to work on small materials.nullbr>2. They are used for dust collection.nullbr>3. They are used for template cutting.null/div>
nullp>null!– /wp:rank-math/faq-block –>
We use any router table on different projects. Every router table has its steps to follow, but no need to worry; you can quickly learn them by simple practices. After a few practices, you may feel comfortable using any router table for your projects.
Not only projects if you are decoring home on your own and ud\sing these wooden working machines such as the table saw router table and many more. In that case, also you may feel easy after some practices. So far, now you have got to know the uses of the router table. And also how to use the router table.
I hope you have received the answers to the different questions raised in your mind about the router table. Now not only the professionals, the beginners who are going to do the advanced project on woodworking can also merely regularly use this router table.