If you are a carpenter or even a hobbyist, using a screwdriver is one of the essential things to do, especially when it comes to wood projects. The best part is that screwdrivers do not require any high maintenance. It is a straightforward and useful tool. However, some people think of using it as a difficult task.
If you are aware of the techniques and steps to use it, it is not that difficult. It can be used by beginners, DIYers, and professionals very conveniently. The only main task is to move the screw in the correct direction, and there you go. So, in this article, you will get to know about all the steps on how to use a screwdriver.
How To Use A Screwdriver-Step By Step Guide
While using a screwdriver, the main thing to notice is that what type of screwdriver you are going to use. Choosing the right kind of screwdriver for your work is very important. As there are many different types of screwdrivers available, you should know which type will be best suitable for your projects. It should be of the right size and shape. Always avoid using a rusted screwdriver as they can make your job very difficult.
You should also oil all your screwdrivers after use to prevent them from rusting. By taking a few precautions and making some preparations, you can easily use a screwdriver. Before starting the process, make sure to wear your safety accessories. You should be prepared with all the necessary tools. Do follow the procedure step by step.
Step 1: Male A Pilot Hole
Firstly, you need to make some preparations, and that includes making a pilot hole. Creating a pilot hole allows the screw to move quickly inside the material. It is the most critical part of the whole procedure. It makes your works more comfortable and faster. The entire performance depends on how you are making your pilot hole. This helps in preventing the wood from splitting into two parts.
Before making a hole, do consider the size of the screw and the type of the material. If you are using small screws with softwood, you can easily make the hole with a punch hole tool. If you are using hardwood with big screws, you will need a drill to make the pilot hole. Be ensured that the tip of the screwdriver is not too thin as it will affect your balance.
Step 2: Start The Process
Now, place the screw into the stripped screw hole very carefully. It is one of the most important and trickiest parts of the process. Be careful to avoid this. Attach the tip of the screwdriver with the screw. Hold the screw with one hand and hold the handle of the screwdriver with the other one. Make sure that you are holding both screw and screwdriver with a strong grip.
Slowly start rotating the screwdriver clockwise by keeping the screw stable. Do not apply pressure downwards. Once the screw starts griping in the wood or the wall, you can start rotating the driver with a little more force. Kindly make sure that the screw is straight and stable for accurate results.
Step 3: Drive The Screw
After you are done with the steps mentioned above, you will notice that the screw can now stand on its own. So, start the driving process by applying a little more force.
You can take your hand off from the screw and use it for guidance. Start applying pressure downwards and keep rotating the screw until its tip is fully inside the pilot hole. Make sure that the screw is straight, and there you go. Cut the screw to make it fit properly.
- Use both your hands while using a screwdriver.
- Choose the screwdriver as per the screw you are working with. You should know if you want a lag bolt or a screw.
- Do not use rusted screwdrivers or the ones that have damages tips.
- Place the workpiece on a stable surface and do not hold it in your hands.
- Keep the screwdrivers away from your children.
- Do not carry screws or screwdrivers in your pocket.
- Always keep a first aid kit around.
- Make sure that the screw is straight.
- Make a clean pilot hole so that the screw can quickly get in.
- Oil your screwdrivers to prevent them from rusting.
- Always keep your screwdrivers dry.
- Do not forget to store your screwdrivers in a safe place.
Three Best Screwdrivers
Screwdrivers are some of the musts to have things at a workplace and home. If you are a professional or even a homeowner, having a good set of screwdrivers is very important. While looking to buy screwdrivers, all you require is some knowledge, and you are all set to buy one. There different types of screwdrivers available in the market like cabinet screwdriver, ratchet screwdriver, heavy-duty square, etc. Buying a screwdriver individually can be very challenging. Below you can find the three best screwdriver sets that you can easily buy from amazon.
1. Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set, 17 Piece
- Includes 9 slotted screwdrivers: 3/32" x 1 1/2", 1/8" x 2", 1/8" x 4", 3/16" x 1 1/2", 3/16" x 4", 3/16" x 6", 3/16" x...
- Includes 7 Philips screwdrivers: #0 x 1 1/2", #0 x 2 1/2", #1 x 1 1/2", #1 x 3", #2 x 4", #2 x 6", #2 x 8"
- Includes 4 in 1 pocket keychain
The Craftsman 9-31794 slotted Phillips screwdriver set is all you need to look for a complete screwdriver set. It is one of the high quality and time-saving sets. It makes your job extremely easy. It is a 17-piece set that comes with all the different sizes that will increase the quality of your work. It is highly durable and offers you tight tolerance. The set includes nine slotted and seven Phillips screwdrivers. The blades are heat-treated, and it can be used for different projects. It is easy to use and a budget-friendly product.
The set features highly durable butyrate handles with every screwdriver. These handles add more grip to the tool and make it convenient to use.
2. Klein Tools 85074 Screwdriver Set, 6-Piece
- These screwdrivers are a general-purpose selection of the most frequently used screwdriver tips and sizes
- Screwdriver Set includes 3/16-Inch cabinet tip (Cat. No. 601-3), 1/4-Inch and 5/16-Inch keystone tip (Cat. Nos. 600-4...
- Cushion-Grip handle for greater torque and comfort and premium chrome-plated for smooth feel and corrosion resistance
The Klein tools 85074 screwdriver set includes the most used screwdrivers. It comes with three slotted and three Phillips screwdrivers. This set can handle almost all of your jobs very quickly. It features an extremely convenient to use cushion grip handle. It provides you with a strong and stable grip. It comes with a heat-treated shaft that makes it more reliable and durable. It is a high-quality screwdriver, including material, shaft, and blades that deliver premium finish. The blade tips can be fitted easily in the screws.
So, if you are not a professional, then you need not worry because this screwdriver set is straightforward to handle and use. All the screwdrivers have labeled handles so that you won’t get confused while picking one for your work.
3. Wera Kraftform Plus 334/6 Screwdriver Set, 6-Piece
- Features Lasertip Slotted and Phillips drive tips and rack
- Lasertip micro-rough drive tip bites into the fastener to ensure a perfect fit and reduce cam-out effect
- Multi-component Kraftform handle fits the shape to the hand for the ultimate in comfort and high speed torque transfer
The Wera Kraftform plus 334/6 screwdriver set is all you need if you are looking for a durable set of screwdrivers. It features a sleek design including three slotted and three Phillips screwdrivers. The set comes with a holding rack that makes storing of screwdrivers very easy. It is a high-quality product that proves to be extremely reliable and durable. The product features soft handles in all the screwdrivers with a stable and robust grip.
All the screwdrivers come with a size marking at the bottom that helps you work efficiently with differently sized screws. It also comes with a non-rottable feature and a hexagonal construction that prevents it from rolling off the table. It has a laser micro-rough tip. This screwdriver kit is elementary to use and handle. It saves time and effort.
1. What type of screwdriver should I choose?
The screwdriver you choose should be suitable for your work. Have you ever tried screw gauge.
2. Can beginners use screwdrivers too?
Yes, you need to know the technique.
3. Are screwdrivers safe to use?
Yes, screwdrivers are safe to use if used as per the steps mentioned.
If you are a professional, beginner, and DIYer, screwdrivers are must-have tools in your tool kit. They may seem a bit tricky to use, but actually, they are not. Using a screwdriver requires technique and few preparations. It a fundamental and simple tool and can be used very quickly. It gets your work done on time. It can handle wood, plastic, and rubberized material very conveniently.
Screwdrivers do not require any high maintenance other than the tips being in perfect shape. They can be easily controlled as you are using your hands. You can always oil them to prevent it from rusting. For good quality performance, you need to but the right type and size of screwdrivers with a robust steel quality. Screwdrivers can handle almost all your jobs without wasting any effort. but still there you can unscrew without using a screwdriver.
However, the final choice depends on the personal preference of the customer.