Drilled a relatively large hole instead of a small hole? Got tensed that you should start over again? No worries, you can fix all those things. You have several ways to fix this problem. So this article gives a review of “how to fix a screw hole that is too big?”
An oversized hole is entirely found in familiar places when you drill a hole for hanging wallpaper, photos, and even curtains. It may also happen when you use screws. Very commonly found in the door hinges like the cabinet doors, the entry doors, and some places where wear and tear happen now and then.
How To Fix A Screw Hole That Is Too Big – Step By Step Guide
How To Fix A Screw Hole That Is Too Big In Drywall
Instead of hiding the mistakes you have done you can also use a few methods as below;
In dry wood, you cannot insert screws as wood. And also, you cannot glue in dry wood. So use toggle bolt in oversized hole.
2. Drywall Repair Kit
This very professional solution for the oversize hole. You can get a good finishing using this repair kit ( see how the drywall is different from plaster) .
How To Fix A Screw Hole That Is Too Big In Metal
Here depending on the thickness of the metal, you can get a toggle bolt that you can insert in an oversized hole. And another way is using a compound; it gives a good finishing before you re-drill the hole again. Also, you can use cold weld epoxy called JB-weld. These are quite a professional way of setting the oversized hole.
Best Products Available On Amazon
1. Darice-Wood Dowel
- Unfinished wooden dowel rods
- Made from Hemu wood
- 0. 5-inch diameter and 12 inches long
- It is a dowel rod of 1/4 inches of diameter and 12 inches of length.
- It is a packet of 10 pieces.
- It is made of hardwood.
- They are meant for home décor projects.
- This product can be painted, stained, and decorate how you need.
2. 3M-Large Hole Wall Repair
- FLEXES AND ADHERES behind wall for professional professional
- FOR HOLES 3"-5" in diameter
- MAKES REPAIRS 5X FASTER
- It is a wall repair kit; it is used for both interior and exterior walls.
- There is no shrinking, sagging.
- It has a fiber compound because it dries five times faster.
- Components in this pack are 3M wall repair, self-adhesive backplate, putty knife, sanding pad.
3. JB Weld 8267 Cold Weld Epoxy
- Safe for use with potable water.
- If you are using this product, then there is no need for someone’ she can make it yourself.
- It can be used on iron, aluminum, copper, brass, etc.
- It can withstand continuous temperature.
4. JB Weld 8276 Cold Weld Epoxy
- J-B WELD ORIGINAL: The Original Cold Weld two-part epoxy system that was designed as an alternative to torch welding....
- CURE AND SET TIME: After mixing the tubes at a 1:1 ratio, it takes 4-6 hours to set and 15-24 hours to cure. Once cured,...
- VERSATILE & DEPENDABLE: J-B Weld Original is steel reinforced, has a tensile strength of 5020 PSI and can withstand...
- The fast version of the original system.
- It is mostly used for household repair, automate applications, etc.
- The whole package includes only one piece.
- Curing takes place at 4-6 hours.
- After curing, it can be shaped, tapped, sanded, drilled.
- When you are using wood glue, first use glue in the hole then re-insert the screw in the hole.
- When using plugs, use hardwood plugs and then re-drive the screw.
- Before re-driving, the screw fills the hole with proper plugs and then re-drive.
1. What to do if the hole is drilled oversize in drywall?
You can use toggle bolts of the similar diameter of the hole, or you can also use a drywall repair kit.
2. How to fix an oversized hole in metal?
You can use cold weld epoxy. One of the examples is JB weld.
3. Can we screw in wood epoxy?
Yes, we can screw, but you should make sure that the hole is deep enough.
4. Which is the best cold weld epoxy?
JB WELD is the most used company for cold weld epoxy.
We have plenty of methods to fix screw hole that is too big. You have plenty of options like leaving the hole as it is in the place, re-drilling a new hole, and inserting some plugs in an oversized hole. Remember, if you are going with home remedies, then you can try it first before using anywhere. Or else if you are using any products, then follow the guidelines and instructions. I hope this article solved your questions. Thank you for reading in patience.