Everyone tries to do something productive in there spare time weekends. Recycling methods should come more often into use. As the rate of depletion of natural resources is increasing. Day by day and what would be more fun than using pallets to build a headboard. As your div project. It’s an environment-friendly step and cost-effective solution. Like headboard from pallets. Consider this as your DIY project for the weekend and try to understand every step carefully on how to build a headboard from pallets.
How To Build A Headboard From Pallets – Step By Step Guide
Total Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Gather Your Pallets
Find your pallet number of pallets required depends on the size you wanted to make of the headboard. You could pic more or less accordingly. Try to take pallets of slightly different color tones it enhances the look of your headboard. After removing boards next step is to remove the nails that hold the pallet boards. To the frame once you remove all the nails with a hammer and nail punch we move toward the next step.
Step 2: Sand the Boards
It is important to make all the edges round and surface smoothness of the headboard. As safety should be the first concern. Use the sander tool to sand the board you can choose any of the sanding tools accordingly. But make sure to sand the surface until the smoothness is as per requirement. Sand every edge of the board make sure edges aren’t sharp as they could hurt someone.
Step 3: Paint the Pallet Boards
As the pallet is smooth enough to make our next move. Now it’s time to paint the board. Choose any of your favorite colors or just analyze your room look. At what could match your headboard color and choose wisely. The more water you add the more natural look it will give it to you but don’t exceed the water limit water.
Step 4: Make The Frame
Now let’s move toward the key step of your DIY project. Your pallet board will attach to the frame so you need to be very precise.
1. Measure the height and width of your bed to for frame fitting.
2. Using a miter saw cut two boards to the height of headboard and two as per width to form frame look
3. Form another frame for the outer look and place the bottom piece where your headboard ends. It is generally middle of the frame.
4. Now attach the frame properly using drill and impact driving tool. Now measure the rest of your boards. It should fit into your frame.
5. Drill the three interior frame boards. So that they can be spaced evenly within the frame and does not look uneven and ugly.
Step 5: Attach The Pallet Boards To The Frame
Once you are done with the framework now the next step is to attach the frame to your painter board. Now you decide how many boards you will like to see in each row choose your pattern accordingly.
Step 6: Add Finishing Touches
For finishing touch you can edit anything in your project. You can paint glossy color or try a different pattern for the design. You can also build a small shelf on the top of the headboard for utility space.
Now using another board, place the board over the existing frame. Ensure it is in the center. Then paint the exterior and shelf using the paint you used previously. And wait to dry out the paint it could take some time but be patient and let the paint dry out completely. Once the paint is dried be ready to carry it in your bedroom and add on the required accessory to it like books lamps etc.
Things You’ll Need
- 2- Five 2×4 boards and one 2×6 board: To make the frame that requires to be attached to the headboard
- Sander and sandpaper of 60 grain-for making edges and surface smooth. so that it could not hurt anyone using the headboard
- Paint or stain-any color of your choice that you think matches your room go for it.
- Miter saw -for cutting of big planks into pieces
- Measuring tape-a very important part of the project is to measure the frame and block. precisely so that it can fit into the frame easily
- Drill, impact driver- for tightening of the screw and removing it from the plank.
1. How long we should leave the bored to dry out the paint?
Be patient and wait until the paint is dried out completely. So that it doesn’t leave any stain anywhere.it can take a couple of hours to get dry wait till then.
2. How many pallets are needed to make a king-size bed?
You can add pallets according to your convenience. It just takes the right measurement of the whole thing so that it can fit into it easily. For a king-size bed but you should take at least 6 pallets to for king size bed.
3. What safety measurement one should keep in mind while processing the project?
While processing the whole project there are some of the things you should always keep in your mind. And they are always were hand gloves and eyeglasses while cutting plank into pieces. Wait for paint or stain to dry out completely before touching it with bare hands.
Building headboard from pallet sounds like a tough job well it is a pretty tough job. But it’s worth it once you have finished all the processes and finally could move your headboard. To the place where it can add beauty to your room. Plus it’s a fun and coast effective way to recycle the goods and give your hand in natural decor. Recycling methods should come more often into use.