How much does a handyman make? How much they earn a year and many more questions like these. We are aware of the importance of a handyman. We always rely upon them for home or any commercial building works. They repair electrical devices, plumbing devices, drywall, and many other such things. They work in a multiway system. A handyman helps in the remodeling of the floors, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. If we need any help in lock fixing and any carpentry work, we also call a handyman. Isn’t it a big task for all of us? We need proper guidance and training in doing only a single task correctly.
But these handymen do their jobs so well. They do not restrict themselves solely to one specific task. Doing all types of employment is not an easy task for any ordinary man. We should admire them for their hard work and dedication. They work as professionals in whatever they do. Many work that they do is of construction types.
Other jobs are self-employed for which we need them! To become a handyman, the only educational requirement is a high school certificate and technical training. Let’s know how much do handymen make? But lets see how you become one.
Education Qualifications Required
According to the degree point of view, a handyman should have a diploma in high school. It is a minimum education qualification schoolwise. Apart from this diploma, you need one technical training certification. Many handymen have training in several fields such as Woodworking, electrical equipment related jobs, carpentry, masonry, blueprint reading, and many other areas. You can choose your work profile according to your wish. You can opt for any training school or college to get these pieces of training. Some corporates and traders also provide these pieces of training and skills. You can again move to some community college. You must also read our article on woodworking business.
Apart from these educational certificates, this world asks you for the experience. Many employers generally prefer those candidates who are having one or two years of experience. You can have experience in your desired work profile. Let’s say you can have experience in repairing and maintenance profile. You can have experience in the field of Woodworking and any other field also. You can always work for more than two years, even to have a better experience.
Many handymen prefer to work as an individual. This option is excellent because you have already got experience. Now, if you feel comfortable doing your work, then you can continue with that. One good thing about these options is that they do not ask for your experience. Your skills matter there. You need not work there to get a certificate. You need not pretend anything. And you can make this work profile as your permanent career choice. Many people get multiple pieces of training. If you notice that a particular profile has less scope these days, then you can go for a demanding profile. And this will help you to grow your career as an individual.
- Strong will power: First of all, you should have a strong desire from your within. You should ask yourself this question that why do you want to become a handyman? If you have a valid reason and answer to this question, then this will maintain your will power. Otherwise, you may want to leave the profession in between. You should enjoy it while doing your job because that is how you have decided on your life.
- Business skills: the profession that you have chosen for yourself is more like a business. You should act like a business person here. You should know to grow your career. If you need it, then for your interest you can take up some business skills courses. This will help you to expand your career. You can be well fitted with your tools and devices. You can be comfortable with your job. But to be a successful person, you need to work as a businessman. You are on time, taking care of all the calls and making a note of every important thing and many more. Yes, you do not need a degree to be a businessman. You just need the required skills. These skills will not help you to earn money additionally. But it will undoubtedly help you in handling your task more efficiently. And this will eventually lead to growth in your career.
- Consistency and persistence in your work: Working as a handyman is not that easy. You will get a lot of work. If you act like a lazy person, then the chance will be given to another person. You are working in a competitive world. If you reach a point late, then the winner will be some other person. Your career will grow based on the amount of your work done.
- Work for yourself: There is great potential in this field. If you work more, you will earn more. This profession does not restrict you to any boundaries. You are the master of your own. But this freedom should not be wasted. You can utilize it productively. Always search for the shortcomings in yourself. Try to rectify them. Try to learn more skills whenever you get time. This time is very precious. If you learn more skills in your field, then you will do your job more efficiently. Do not think that gaining new skills will increase your expenses. Learning always comes with a proper return with interest. You can make more money by utilizing these skills in your career. You can even work from home with this kind of business.
- Strong physical stamina and strength: You all know that this job demands your physical strength. It is not a stable job or a sitting job. You have to work physically. You have to be physically healthy. The work timings are not fixed. You may get work at any time of the day. If you are asked to work at night time, you should also be able to do it. You cannot neglect the work. And for this continuity, you need to have good stamina. So, take care of your diet very well. Do not forget yourself in this course of work.
- Very importantly, work ethics: Always follow all the work ethics. These rules and ethics are not mentioned in any book. These come from inside. You need to have all the valid certificates, licenses, and other documents always. You should carry an approval letter or insurance to the workplace. Always get permission from the respective municipality before working. If you are going with some other worker, then ask for permission. Always have other worker’s insurance compensation certificates. Well, there will be very few people who will ask all these things. But you should never do your work with any illegal method.
- A valid driver’s license: As you all know, this work is not doable in one place. You need to move to another place from time to time. You can save your time if you own a vehicle. Get certified training and get your driving license. You need not wait for any public or private transport to reach the destination. Do not drive in public places until you learn driving correctly. Learn it in your leisure time.
- Consider the economy: You should always consider the current economy of your society. If you are living in a metropolitan city, then try to investigate other such companies and their charges. Well educated customers try to find a handyman using the websites of these companies. So, you keep your charges according to your surroundings. Also, try to work online. Most of the people are working online these days. They prefer all the works using online platforms. So, get adapted to current situations and conditions. This will work as your extra earning. You can continue working in your normal way also. You will make productive use of your time without any wastage.
- Good communication skills: As you are working as a handyman, you will have to speak up. You need to talk to many people and companies. Your communication skills will be your first impression. You may be more talented. You should be able to communicate your talent through your speaking. If you are not reaching the customer or the industry clearly, then they will not understand you. And this leads to the communication gap.Try to talk as much as possible. With this, you will also enhance your personality. Try to communicate clearly. Do not try to beat about the bush. You are not going to give a speech as such. You just need to convey and understand your field related ideas. If a customer is asking something and you do not understand it, then you will not do the task as required. Try to grasp the need of your client and customers.
- Good technical skills: These are the key skills that you will be working upon. However, you are a good businessman, a good communicator, punctual, etc. If you do not have good technical skills, then you cannot work as a handyman. You cannot build your profession just based on other skills. Have a good understanding of technical terms. Try to practice more before coming into this profession.
- Good customer care and its related services: These are the soft skills that every business person should have. But this will connect you with your customer in a much better way. If you are good at your customer care and services, then people will hire you again. You should know how to talk with your customer. Build a chain of faith with them. Give them your customer service contact number so that they can contact you when they need your help. This will help them to trust you and believe you. Give proper customer care. Do not take it lightly. Ask for their feedback at the end of the work. It will help you to improve your way of working.
- Keeping note of important things: Your life will be busy many times. Naturally, you will not be able to remember all the things. It is practically impossible. You can have a book with you. Mention all the necessary points related to your earnings, billing and customers in that. Try to keep it with you always. This will help you to track all your activities. You can refer to some online tutorials also that will help you to note down things better. You can also take the help of some online apps and software. It is excellent practice to keep yourself organized.
As mentioned in the introduction, the job profile for a handyman is very flexible. It is mainly about general maintenance and other repair works. And having a broad perception, we can analyze that these kinds of work will increase by around 6 percent in the coming decades. As the population is getting doubled in 5 to 6 years, all the construction works are growing. A handyman has an excellent scope in this world. The growth in the requirement of a handyman is more than the need for any other occupation. In the future, this field can provide many job opportunities for unemployed people. With the increase in the economy of the world, there will be an increase in the demand for a handyman because a strong economy makes people with more money.
More money means they will be ready for many repairs. And this will be a call for a handyman. This profession needs excellent technical interest. You cannot just try anything while repairing. There guessing will be of no use. Though it doesn’t require any high education qualification, you need to be certified in technical training. In initial times, you need to practice many things before coming into this commercial world. If you do something wrong at any construction site, then it will reflect on your image if we talk about the certification. Every handyman should clear an exam that is handled by SMRP. SMRP stands for Society for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals. After clearing this exam, you will be given one certificate. This certificate will help you to start your career in this corporate world.
Start working at a slow pace so that you do not commit any mistakes. After doing several job profiles, you will eventually get confidence. After that, you can increase your working pace. When you perform your work with full dedication and good results, you will get noticed. People will refer you to their near ones. This will help you to increase your career in the right way. There is another excellent option. As you have acquired the technical skills, you don’t need to go anywhere to find the work. You can start your career as an Entrepreneur. You can build your startup with some more interested people. This way will help you to provide jobs to many unemployed people. Then you will be stable in your profession as far as work is concerned. Try to meet new people and get engaged with them.
How Much Do Handymen Make?
If we talk about the income of a handyman, then it is very admiring. An ordinary handyman earns the highest average package of about $52,720 if we talk about western countries. They have salaries relatively higher than any other occupation. The lowest income may be around $35,390. While starting your career in this field, you need not worry about the salary. While working in this field for several years, your salary will increase at a very high rate. Initially, you may get disappointed by the salary as you are a fresher. But have faith in yourself. If you are great in your technical skills, then your work will take to you to a very high position.
Handymen make the right amount of money in western countries compared to India. If you continue to work for around two years, then you will be able to make a salary somewhere between $42,000 to $43,000. This is quite mesmerizing. This field has a high rate of expansion. Many big companies need people like you. So, talking about the scope. It has an extensive scope. Moreover, you will not get tired of doing your work because you have a vast scope. You have many work profiles in your field. If you are comfortable with construction work, then you can do that. If you are bored doing it, you can switch to some electrical device fixing work and many more.
Different industries provide different salaries. If we see the previous year’s figure, then Natural Gas Distribution provided the maximum annual income. According to BLS, it has gained an income of around $68,030 in a year. This industry earned $59,230 from the field of electrical power generation alone. Other earnings were from Motor vehicle manufacturing. If you are employed by some local government agencies or colleges, universities, and schools, then you will be making a salary of around $43,000 in a year. It harms your salary package if you are working with the industry along with travel expenses. With traveling accommodations, you will earn around $36,000 in a year.
1. When can we start our career as a handyman?
You can start after high school. You need to get specified and certified training also.
2. Can we work as independent individuals?
Yes, you can work on your own. You need not work under any other organization. You are the master of your own. If you want to work with any industry, then also you can do that.
If you are keen enough, then you can start gaining your technical skills during high school itself. Once if you get interested in it, then you can rock in this field. You will be noticed by every household member because you are breaking the ordinary competition and doing multiple jobs. You will be fixing up all the problems that are related to any house or carpentry. If we see, as of May 2019, then familiar handymen earn $39,080 on an average. This income is in one year.
If you have any idea of this job, then explore it for some time. If you think you fit in the job profile and enjoy it, then you can choose it as your permanent profession. I hope this article helped you to have a clear idea about a how much do handymen make.