Air pollution is increasing at a high rate currently. You must be aware of the harmful effects of Air Pollution. And so you need a cleaning process also. There is no manual process for Air Cleaning. For cleaning the air you must have a cleaning machine. The main cleaning machine available in the markets is Dust Collector & Shop Vacuum. So by reading the comparison between Dust Collector vs Shop Vac, it will be easy for you to select between them. You will also learn about both the machine.
Dust Collector Vs Shop Vac: Our Verdict
Both of the cleaners are for different types of jobs.
- You can choose between them as per your job need,
- You can choose between them as per your space
These two are a major point to select between both of them. If you own an industry, Dust Collector is the best option for you. Dust Collector will collect dust and provide fresh air. You can also use Dust Collector for your large shops, woodworking area, etc. But if you have to clean your shop floor, you should for a Shop Vac. It is ideal for small shops, woodworking, and portable type of jobs.
Dust Collector Vs Shop Vac: Differences
- Big Manufacturing houses and industries use a Dust Collector. It cleans the air. It makes air breathable and environment contamination free. But, You cannot clean air from a Shop Vac.
- The process of working on both of the tools is different.
- Dust Collectors have a filter to clean air. But, Shop Vac only use in collecting dust.
- You can use Shop Vac in handling wet waste. But, Dust Collectors only cleans the dry air.
- A Shop Vac is a portable tool as compare to Dust Collector.
- The price of a Dust collector is high then Shop Vacs.
What Is Dust Collector?
You will be able to collect the dust impurities from the environment using A Dust collector. When the air passes through the machine, it sucks the huge amount of dust from it. You can use this machine in the industry.
The Main Types Of Dust Collector Are
1. Single-Stage Dust Collectors
This is the one-phage based system. It has a parallel system of Air Suction and Filtration. Big Bags and Barrels collects the dust sucked from the air. Small shops use Single Stage Dust collectors.
2. Two-Stage Cyclone Dust Collectors System
In this, there is a step by step dust collection. First air suction and then filtration. Industry and large shops use this type of dust collector system. You can get two benefits from it, i.e., Dust Collection from the air and also a supply of fresh air.
Advantages Of Dust Collector
1. It does Mass Cleaning
A clean and safe environment is best. Also, the people living near the industries need clean & fresh air. It is good for the environment as well as workers.
2. Supplies Fresh Air
Its main work is to remove dust. But Dust collector supplies fresh air to the environment. It does Dust Collection as well as filtration. It takes in polluted air, collects dust from it, and returns fresh air. This fresh air good for breathing. It eliminates many harmful air-borne diseases.
3. Make Clean Air
It eliminates all the harmful ingredients present in the air. By doing this, it cleans the air.
4. High Efficiency
A dust collector is a high efficient machine. It cleans and purifies the air by eliminating dust from it. It works with high powered motors and advanced components. The dust collection process is automatic.
The dust collector has a very low sound. If you install this system in your home, Your’s neighbor will not get disturbed. In industries, it does not create a noisy environment. This machine has a low sound.
6. Easy To Install
This is a low-weight machine. Its transportation from one place to another is easy.
7. Less Time Consumption
It is an automatic machine, so the time consumption is low. It gas an easy and quick cleaning process. So, you are saving your time by using this machine.
Disadvantages Of A Dust Collector
- You cannot use it as a hand-held tool.
- It comes with a variety of bags or barrels.
- It needs air humidity checking in a humid environment.
- It reduces the airflow rate.
- It cannot process the wet dust.
- Its efficiency decreases when gas density increases.
What Is A Shop Vac?
Shop vac consists of a high-powered motor & suction unit. The suction unit sucks up debris, dirt, and chunks. Building sites and woodworking requires this tool. The tool uses a tough hose and big canister for debris.
Shops vacs suck materials like:
- Small scrap metal pieces,
- Sawdust, chunks of wood.
The expensive shop vacs are capable of sucking water and wet dirt. So, outdoor construction sites use this type of tool also.
Is Shop-Vac Is Different From Household Vacuums?
- Shop vacs are powerful tools uses in heavy jobs with a large amount of debris. On the other side, Household Vacuums are uses to pick up little particles, dust, and dirt.
- Hoses are tougher and bigger in shop vacs to handles large debris. Household Vacuums uses a mild type of hoses.
- Power Motors are present in shop vacs. Household Vacuums uses mild motors.
- You can remove the bag or filter compartment in household vacuums for cleaning. Lifting and flipping did for emptying foreign from Shop-Vac.
- Household vacuums have good filters that improve air quality in the home. It also sucks up small; particles from the air. Shop vacs do not have any filter.
- Household Vacuums are more portable than shop vacuums.
What Are The Advantages Of Shop Vacs?
1. Low Price
You can buy Shop Vac at a lower price as compared to Dust Collector or Household Vacuums. Simple uses and components make it price lower.
2. Works On Wet Material
Shop vacs clean wet messy dust, wet wastage, etc. Cleaning wet waste makes it more efficient.
3. Works On Large Object
It can remove large objects, large debris & also a large amount of debris. Power motors help in sucking this type of material.
4. Wide Use
Shop Vac can sometimes use as a pump. It can also blow air. You can use it for blowing air in some light objects.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Shop Vacs?
- Shop Vacs are not filtering any amount of air.
- The size of these tools is large, which also makes it heavier.
- It is not a portable tool.
- They are not a right choice for household cleaning.
- The electricity consumption of this tool is high.
How To Choose: Dust Collector Vs Shop Vac?
- The Cubic-feet-per-minute (CFM) Cleaning decides which cleaning tool is right for you. Higher SFM gives you efficient cleaning.
- CFM depends upon the size of the debris. So, while choosing the tools, always keep in mind the size of debris also.
- Lift Count also a factor for choosing between both the tools. Higher lift count tools can pick up more massive debris and vice versa.
Best for Woodworking: Dust Collector vs Shop Vac
Top 5 Dust Collector for Woodworking:
1. Shop Fox W1685 1.5 HP 1.80 CFM Dust Collector:
- Powder coated paint
- Bag volume: 5.4 cubic feet
- Static pressure: 10.1-Inch. Interior Hose Diameter (In.) - 6
You will get a suction capacity of 1,280 CFM with Shop Fox W1685. This tool will collect dust from your woodworking shop (see the list of top shop vac). It works as a central dust collector and as a mobile unit. Its lightweight makes it portable. It uses a steel impeller which lasts longer than plastic. Also, powder coating finish fading and chipping, which increases its life span.
2. Jet DC 1100VX-M Dust Collector:
- VORTEX CONE: Improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency.
- QUICK-CONNECT COLLECTION BAGS: Fast, easy installation and removal.
- HIGH AIR VELOCITY DESIGN: Stands up to any competitive specifications.
This is a single-stage dust collector that provides a cheap & silent operation. It also comes with dual 4-inch dust ports that allow the connection of two machines. Vortex Cone technology makes an outstanding tool. Now, it drops the filter clogging, which improves its strength and ease of use.
3. Onedia Air Systems The Dust Deputy
- INCREASED SUCTION POWER - The ORIGINAL shop vacuum cyclone, now 20% more throughput (CFM) and efficiency with Neutral...
- LONGER LIFESPAN – Prevents fine dust and large debris from reaching your dust filter, reducing the need for cleanings...
- WET OR DRY – This simple and efficient design can be adapted for use with any make, size, or model shop vacuum and...
It is the most affordable dust collector. It has both an efficient and high reliable system. It keeps your workshop dust-free. Up to 99% of the dust material separates before reaching the vacuum. It ensures that your filters remain clean. It works on the wet vacuum also. This comes in a unique design with tapered ports and anti-static resin cyclone. It is available in compact size.it is the best dust collector for small shops and also in different worksites.
4. Jet JCDC-1.4 HP Cyclone Dust Collector
- CONSTANT SUCTION: Heavy debris is pulled down to collection drum before debris stream reaches the filter.
- QUICK-RELEASE COLLECTION DRUM: Heavy debris is captured in a 30-gallon drum.
- REMOTE CONTROL: Included radio frequency remote control works from up to 50 feet away.
It is the best dust collector for woodworkers. It is a high price and also efficient. It has a two-stage system. It traps even the smallest dust particles. It can also trap large debris with ease. It comes with a 20-gallon-drum with release levers and independent casters.
5. Powetec DC5370 Wall Dust Collector
- Includes: (1) wall hanging dust collector with mounting bracket and (1) 2. 5 micron dust collector filter bag
- Reusable micron bag: ensures optimal air quality, free from harmful pollutants and fine dust particles – comes with...
- Compact size is ideal for small Pro or hobby shop
It is a wall-mounted dust collector. It is the best choice for limited space. It is only 44 inches long. It uses a 2.5-micron bag with a capacity of 2 cu/ft. It has a bottom zipper for debris disposal. It also has a window gauge for dust level monitoring.
Top 5 Shop Vacs For Woodworking:
1. Armor All 2.5 Gallon Utility Wet/Dry Vacuum (AA255)
- 2.5 Gallon Polypropylene Tank
- 2 Peak HP Motor
- 10 Ft. Cord With Cord Wrap
The weight of this tool is 7 pounds. It is tall and narrow. It can get into tight spaces with ease. It has two horsepower motor. Its attachment includes a foot cord, three nozzles, a crevice tool, and a detailed brush. ‘Its price half of the price of other Shop Vacs.
2.Vacmaster 12 Gallon Shop Vac (VBV1210)
- Easily Convert from Wet/Dry Vacuum to 210 MPH Handheld Blower
- 19-Foot Cleaning Reach with Hose and Power Cord
- Integrated Accessory Storage
It is the coolest SHop Vacs available in the market. It comes with a portable blower. The blower detaches from the unit easily. It comes with a 12-gallon tank. It has an extra-large drain to clean up large water spills. It is a powerful machine with five horsepower motor. This model has both power and portability.
3. Stanley Wet/Dry Vacuum (SL18129)
- High performance motor provides maximum power
- Light weight compact design for easy carrying.Voltage:120 V
- 10-Feet power cord with cord wrap design for easy organized and storage
It has a shiny metal exterior. It has four horsepower motors making its suction power high. You can assemble it easily. It comes with four gallons of storage. Its hose is small as compared to other Shop Vacs. The price is low, which makes it a good choice to buy.
4. Shop-Vac 5-Gallon Stainless Steel Wet Dry (5989300)
- POWERFUL & PORTABLE: This wet/dry vacuum has a 5-gallon stainless steel tank & a 4.5 peak horsepower...
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: This wet/dry vac includes 1.25 " diameter accessories: 7-foot hose, 3 extension wands, crevice...
- GOT DIRT? Shop-Vac's full line of products includes cordless, rechargeable wet dry vacuums, automotive vacuum systems,...
It has a five-gallon tank making it good for medium jobs. Its motor has an output of 4.5 horsepower. Its lower blower port blows dust or leaves out of your office. It has a full-circumference dolly.
5. Dewalt 6 Gallon Poly Wet/Dry Vac (DXV06P)
- Portable 6 Gallon wet/dry vac ideal for small clean-up jobs
- Powerful 4 peak horsepower motor provides just the amount of suction needed to most any cleanup job
- Ultra durable rubberized casters allow smooth swiveling for ease of movement
It is a six-gallon Shop Vac. It is good for heavy and medium capacity projects. It has a four horsepower motor. It also has disposable dry bags. But, the power cord is only teen feet long. It also has only three nozzles.