Professionals use a miter saw in a wide range of functions. It is an important power tool for the woodwork industry. In the market, miter saws are available in a variety of blade sizes. Blade sizes range from 7 and ½ inches to as long as 20 inches. But 10-inch miter saws and 12-inch miter saws are conventional. A 2-inch difference can matter a lot. You may waste money by buying the wrong one. This article will help you find which Miter saw suites your need. In this article, we have compared 10-Inch Miter Saw vs 12-Inch Miter Saw so that you can see which is better.
10-Inch Miter Saw vs 12-Inch Miter Saw: Comparison Chart
|10-inch miter saw||12-inch miter saw|
|It is cheaper than 12-inch miter saw.||It is more expensive than a 10-inch miter saw.|
|It is easy to transport due to the small size.||It is less portable due to its large size.|
|It can make cuts only up to 6 inches.||It can make deeper cuts.|
|It has to strain hard to make cuts.||It is more durable and can make cuts with ease.|
|It is good for smaller projects.||It is good for bigger projects.|
|It has a less powerful motor.||It has a more powerful motor.|
|It consumes less electricity.||It consumes more energy.|
10-Inch Miter Saw Vs 12-Inch Miter Saw : Differences
- 10-inch Miter saw spins faster than a 12-inch miter saw. A 12-inch miter saw is slow due to its heavy blade.
- Due to its clear cut option, a 10-inch miter saw is cheaper. A 12-inch miter saw is expensive as its blades have teeth.
- The 10-inch miter saw has 13-amp motor while 12-inch miter saw has a 15-amp motor. Thus 10-inch miter saw consumes less electricity than a 12-inch miter saw.
10-Inch Miter Saw Vs 12-Inch Miter Saw: Overview
10-Inch Miter Saws
A 10-inch miter saw is a popular miter saw in the market. It is quite powerful and can work with softwood and hardwood. It has a high-quality blade. Smooth woodcutting is possible through this saw. It can cut past a four by 4 with ease. But, you need to flip over the material to complete the task.
This saw is suitable for woodworking projects like cutting plywood or any material. But, you can do this only for a particular limit of depth and thickness. This blade can spin as fast as a 12-inch miter blade. This helps it to compete with the bigger miter saw blade. Thus, it can make cuts as deep as a bigger miter saw blades. Now, let us look at some advantages of 10-inch miter saws.
Advantages Of 10-Inch Miter Saw
- According to the formula of pressure, the smaller the surface area, the higher the pressure. As 10-inch blades are smaller, they apply more pressure while cutting wood.
- Due to their small size, 10-inch blades spin fast. This helps them cut different materials with ease.
- They are portable and easy to store due to their small size.
- They are very versatile and durable.
- They are available with an extra miter saw features.
12-Inch Miter Saws
The only size is not the factor in determining the performance of a blade. So, the 12-inch blade will make deeper cuts than 10-inch blades is not necessary. But, a 12-inch blade is better than a 10-inch blade in making fine cuts.
Experts use Teeth-per-inch (TPI) rating to determine the saw’s ability to make fine cuts. You can find TPI ratings of 24, 60, and 80 in 12-inch blades. Such variety is hard to find in 10-inch miter saws. A 10-inch blade needs a multi-step cut for a four by four wood. But, 12-inch saw can rip apart the same amount of wood. But, you do not need a 12-inch miter saw for small projects. For such projects, a good quality 10-inch miter saw is enough.
Advantages Of 12-inch Miter Saw
- The highest cutting width of this saw is 12 inches.
- The large size of the blade helps to cut larger stock material. It helps to complete more work in less time.
- Due to the large size of the blade, you can take longer, vertical cuts.
- Most of the 12-inch miter saws have a 15-amp motor. This allows them to work for longer duration and enhances their efficiency. This will increase rotations/minute and allow smooth cutting of any hard material.
- 12-inch miter saws can slice through 4 by four pine with ease.
10-Inch Miter Saw Vs 12-Inch Miter Saw: Safety Tips
- Always wear eye and ear protection while operating a miter saw.
- Do not wear gloves, jewelry, or any dangling objects while operating Miter saw.
- If the guard is slow to return in normal position, adjust or repair it.
- Always unplug or turn off power source while repairing miter saw. This is also applicable for adjusting blades and guards.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from the blade by at least 6-inches.
- To help visibility and movement clean the lower guard from time to time.
- Only use the recommended blade size for a particular miter saw.
- Be regular for checking and tightening the blade.
- Position and secure blade and its accessories on the saw’s harbor.
- Hold or clamp all materials against the fence when cutting. Do this to avoid losing control or placing hands in the blade path.
- Do not perform operations free hand.
- It would help if you did not cut small pieces of material.
- Support the long material at the same height as the saw table.
- It would be best if you did not reach the cutting area until the blade comes to a stop.
- Do not raise the blade from the workpiece before the blade comes to complete stop. This is to prevent an injury from accidental contact.
Few Of The Best 10-Inch Miter Saws
1. Bosch CM10GD
- ACCURACY: The Bosch-exclusive Axial-Glide System allows wider cross cuts and better alignment
- CONVENIENCE: Featuring large, upfront metal bevel controls and Square lock precision fences for precise, quick and easy...
- CONTROL: This miter saw provides accuracy and cutting control at all angles. Crown/chop lock locks head in place for...
This miter saw is one of the best in the market. You can use it for several hours without making adjustments or changing calibration. This miter saw can hold the cutting material in place. Its axial-glade system improves alignment and helps in wider cross-cuts.
This Bosch product provides high accuracy and excellent cutting control at different angles. But its size is a significant drawback. This makes it quite bulky and less portable. If you have less space, this product does not suit you. But if you need excellent performance, then size should be an issue. It is easy to calibrate and has an attractive design.
2. Hitachi C10FCG
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- 0 to 52 degree miter angle range to the right and left for increased flexibility , Motor Horsepower 2.57 hp
- 0 to 45 degree bevel range to the left to provide clean and accurate bevel cuts.Thumb actuated positive stops for quick...
Hitachi C10FCG is an affordable and budget-friendly 10-inch miter saw. It is a good quality miter saw. This miter saw has a 15-amp motor. This is a powerful motor, and professionals use it for difficult cutting jobs.
This Hitachi Product is light in weight portable and sturdy. The cuts this machine makes are clean and precise. If you want accuracy, reliability, and versatility, this machine is the right choice. Hitachi C10FCG is a well-designed machine. The company makes it with superior quality materials. This miter saw looks like an expensive machine. It is the right choice for amateur professionals. It has no vibrations. This machine is worth your money.
3. Dewalt DW713
- 15 Amp, 5,000 rpm motor delivers extended power and durability
- Stainless steel detent plate with 11 positive stops provides repeatable accuracy and jobsite duability
- Tall sliding fences support crown molding vertically 4-1/2-inch and easily slides out of the way for bevel cuts
Dewalt DW713 is ready to use a machine. It has a strong and solid built. It has proper calibration for accurate, effortless, and quality cuts. It has a powerful and unique 15-amp motor. This product provides great precision and versatile, easy adjustments. It is a lightweight miter saw. It has a built-in carry handle, which makes it easy to transport. This mightier saw is suitable for a variety of uses. It can cut through 2-6 inches’ wood. Blade replacement for this miter saw is a difficult process. This is the only major drawback of Dewalt DW713.
Our Verdict On A 10-Inch Miter Saw
All three 10-inch miter saws ( compare it with chop saw ) above are few of the best href=”%view_link%” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>miter saws . Bosch CM10GD and Hitachi C10FCG are suitable for beginners. The product by Dewalt is for professionals. Among Bosch and Hitachi, the latter is a more powerful machine. This is due to its 15-amp motor. All in all, for professionals, Hitachi is good for beginners. At the same time, Dewalt is suitable for professionals.
Few Of The Best 12-Inch Miter Saw
1. Dewalt DWS715
- Power and durability: 15 amp, 4,000 Rpm motor
- Miter detent plate improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy: Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate...
- Miter dentent override that allows you to override the miter stops and adjust to the desired setting without the saw...
This miter saw is one of the most affordable saws in the market. It has a variety of exciting features and is worth your money. It has a cross-cut capacity of up to 2/8-inch lumber. It also features a built-in carry handle to make it portable. It equips a 15-amp motor, which makes it durable. The motor also allows you to operate for long durations. But due to its limited cutting capacity, it is suitable for minor projects. Its design is not for complex woodwork projects. It is also hard to set-up.
2. Dewalt DWS780
- New precise miter system
- Handle design for added portability
- Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system provides adjustment-free cut line indication
This is yet another high-rated Dewalt product. This machine is a precise and powerful cutting tool. Its major features are an adjustable plate, great speed, and a powerful motor. It has more vertical cutting capacity due to its unique belt-drive and gearbox design. This is a durable machine and has a sturdy build. It can withstand wear and tear. This is due to its steel miter plates, accurate castings, and a rugged blade guard. But, there are few drawbacks to this machine. This saw does not come with a miter saw stand. Another thing is that it is not for amateurs.
3. Bosch GCM12SD
- Axial glide system: The patented glide system allows wider cross cuts and better alignment while also being compact;...
- Capacity: Expanded cutting capacity 14 inch horizontal capacity nominal 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity against the fence...
- Adjustable: The GCM12SD miter saw provides easy adjustments with a large easy to read uniform bevel and stainless steel...
Bosch GCM12SD is a good competitor of Dewalt DWS780. This 12-inch miter saw has an innovative glide mechanism. Due to the glide mechanism, this saw can make neat and smooth cuts. The design of this saw is compact and unique. Its pre-aligned Square lock fence helps in maintaining precision. The handle of this miter saw has a soft grip. Also, right-handed, as well as left-handed people, can use it with ease. It is easy to operate the machine and has a 60 toothy blade. A major drawback of this machine is that it doesn’t include a laser guide.
Our Verdict For 12-Inch Miter Saws
Among the products mentioned above, Dewalt DWS780 is the best. But, it is only for professionals. For beginners, Dewalt DWS715 and Bosch GCM12SD are preferable. But, the Bosch product is more expensive than the Dewalt one. So, for people with a low budget can buy Dewalt DWS715 is best. People with a reasonable budget and complex woodwork needs can buy Bosch GCM12SD.
So, this is all about 10-inch and 12-inch miter saws. If you are looking to buy one, choose with care. Check all the options with proper care and then select. Follow the safety rules so that you can enjoy working with these tools.