Scroll Saw is a saw that has thin and short blades, which are less than a quarter in width. You can control the high speed of the blades by making use of the provided pedal. For the woodworking purposes, it is the most suitable saw as it helps in obtaining detailed designs. It is useful for making circular cuts and plunge cuts. Lack of knowledge can lead to improper cutting results. Make sure you choose the best sawzall out there. But you may wonder how to use this scroll saw to get the proper results. We will provide you with all the necessary information on how to use a scroll saw. You can also checkout a complete list of high quality scroll saws.
Our Recommended Scroll Saw
How To Use A Scroll Saw – Step By Step Guide
Total Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Mark Or Draw The Design
The ﬁrst and foremost step is to outline the design. You have to make clear designs so that it remains visible during the cutting job. You can add bridges between the designs to develop areas of positive and negative spaces. Bridges mean the positive spaces on the wooden block that connect the different parts. For the beginners, it is advised to make simple patterns while using the scroll saw.
Step 2: Wear The Safety Equipment
This is the most necessary step while using the scroll saw. Place your safety goggles over your eyes and ensure that they are safe from the sawdust. You can also wear a face mask. But you should take all the necessary precautions before using the saw.
Step 3: Placing The Scroll Saw Correctly Onto Surface
In this step, you have to place the scroll saw onto the surface. You have to read the instructions manual for this purpose. It will direct you about how to bolt, screw, or clamp the scroll saw on your work surface. Follow all the instructions before using the saw.
Step 4: Selection Of The Blade
The next step involves making a selection of the right blade according to the quality of the material.
You have to use a smaller blade for wood with less thickness. In the scroll saw, the lower the number of the blade, the smaller it is. Slower blades cut through the wood steadily. This ensures more control over the scroll saw. You can create intricate designs accurately with these smaller blades. If the wood is thicker, then the higher number of the blade is required to perform the job.
Step 5: Setting The Tension On The Blade
The ﬁfth step is to set the tension on the blade according to the instructions manual. The right tension of the blade is essential because it shows that the blade is tight enough and will give accurate results.
You can check this by applying a moderate amount of pressure with your ﬁnger to the midpoint of the blade. If the blade is in the correct tension, then it will not move more than 3mm in any direction. If it exceeds the limit, then you have to adjust the tension on the blade again.
Step 6: Turn On The Saw And Light
After performing the ﬁrst ﬁve steps, you have to plug the saw into an electrical socket and turn it on. Also, remember to turn the machine light on as it will help you in getting a good vision of your work.
In case there is no machine light, then make sure to get a lamp and position it correctly on the work surface. If you have a dust blower, then switch it on also as it will remove all the sawdust and provide clear visibility of your work.
Step 7: Test The Saw On A Scrap Wood
Before using the saw on the actual material, try to use it on the scrap wood or material. If it is similar to the actual one, then it will help you in getting an idea of how the result will come on the real material. This will also conﬁrm that the type of blade and tension of the blade is correct.
Step 8: Setting
If you are using softwoods like maple, then you have to maintain a higher speed to get the desired results. You can test all the different speeds on the scroll saw to gain conﬁdence and reaching accurate results at the end.
Step 9: Build The Design Using Both Hands
First of all, you have to take the wood closer to the saw and place the ﬁrst line marked on it. Press the wood down and move forward to guide it into the blade and to get the intricate design. You have to use your ﬁngers and thumb for all kinds of movements.
For small turns, use your foreﬁngers and one thumb. Place the other thumb out of the way of the blade. Always maintain an eye on your ﬁngers so that they remain at a correct distance from the blade. You have to hold the wood tightly to the work surface.
Step 10: Remove The Project At The Time Of 90
You have to remove the project or the material at the time when the blade reaches a turning point of 90-degrees or larger. For this, you need to turn the wood around so that it is operating at the adjacent lines and continue this process until the design is completed.
After completing the design and getting the desired result, you can switch off the power button. Also, don’t forget to remove the blade and to store it in the storage container. You can detach it from the work surface and store it if you don’t want it short.
Purposes For Which You Can Use It
The scroll saw is suitable when you deal with detailed designs of your projects. These saws produce accurate results with their motion. They offer smooth, precise, and professional results in your work. It can be used for different purposes, such as:
- Cutting curves and think cuts
- Developing different angles
- Making dovetail joints
- Creating intricate and precise designs
- Making jigsaw puzzles
It is mainly used for cutting wood, but it does not mean that you cannot use it for other materials. You can use the scroll saw for cutting different materials as well, such as plastic, ivory, mother-of-pearl, bone cork, and other metals. For additional materials, you have to change the blade accordingly.
Beneﬁts of Using the Scroll Saw
- The scroll saw is best for making crafts, carvings, and jigsaw puzzles. It provides perfect and ﬁne results.
- A scroll saw is comparatively safer than a band saw. It is very safe to use. You can control the speed and adjust it according to your needs.
- It can cut inside the material. You have to insert the thin blade through a hole and cut the intricate designs. You can also cut the circle inside the materials.
- The Scroll saw is the right choice when it comes to versatility as it offers a wide range of cuts, and you can perform various tasks efficiently and accurately.
- The scroll saw is cheaper and does not put a burden on your pocket. You can afford this tool and get good results with it.
Best Models Available For Scroll Saw
1. WEN3921(16-inch) Two-Direction Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Unique design accepts blades in two directions (standard and 90 degrees) to allow for infinite ripping capacity
- Variable speed goes from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute
- Spacious 16-by-11-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees to the left for angled cuts
- The WEN3921(16-inch) Two-Direction Scroll Saw has a unique design that accepts blades in two directions. This allows the inﬁnite ripping capacity.
- The 9/16-inch stroke saws move at a variable speed, which ranges from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute. It is easily adjustable and can be changed with the help of a knob.
- It has a 16×11-inch table which bevels up to 45 degrees for providing angled cut. It also has a cast iron base, which prevents vibrations and disturbance during working.
- It also has an air pump that clears all the sawdust and helps you in getting accurate results by giving you a clear line of vision.
- It has other features such as a thumbscrew blade adapter for tool-free blade changes, a ﬂex light, a dust port, onboard storage, and three blades.
2. ShopSeries RK7315 (16-inch) Scroll Saw with Variable Speed Control
- Powerful, lightweight 1.2-amp scroll saw ideal for a variety of woodworking projects
- Die-cast aluminum table bevels from 0 to 45 degrees
- Includes two durable 5" tungsten carbide blades with a throat depth of 16" and a cutting depth of 2-1/2"
- The ShopSeries RK7315 (16-inch) Scroll Saw is an ideal and powerful scroll saw. It has a 1.2-Amp motor and performs several cutting jobs efficiently.
- It has a variable speed control facility. It provides a die-cast aluminum table which bevels up to 45 degrees to provide accurate cuts.
- It has two 5″ tungsten carbide blades with a throat depth of 16-inch, delivering a cutting capacity of 2″ at 90 degrees and 1-3/16″ at 45 degrees.
- The built-in blower and a dust collection port help in keeping the workplace clean. It also has a blade guard to ensure the safety of the operator.
- It also comes with a 2-year limited warranty. This warranty covers the defects in materials and quality.
3. DEWALT DW788(20-Inch) Scroll Saw Variable-Speed and 1.3-Amp Motor
- Double parallel link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise for extremely accurate cuts
- Exclusive tool free blade clamps allow blade changes in seconds. Depth of Cut (inches): 2 inch
- On off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower, and blade tensioning lever all located on front upper...
- The DEWALT DW788(20-Inch) Scroll Saw has a double parallel link arm design. This helps in reducing vibrations, noise, and getting precise cuts.
- It has a unique feature which allows easy blade changes. It provides tool-free blade clamps that will enable the blade changes in a few seconds.
- It has a powerful 1.3-Amp motor and gives a variable stroke length between 3/4 inch and up to 2 inches deep.
- It has different features such as a ﬂexible dust blower, on and off switch, electronic variable speed, and a blade lever located on the front upper arm of the saw.
- The electronic variable speed feature provides fast and accurate adjustments. This helps in using the speed ranging from 400 to 1750 strokes per minute.
Tips To Remember
- Check the blade and its tension before using the scroll saw.
- Proper lighting is necessary for getting accurate designs. Make sure to use the machine light or arrange any other lamp.
- Always cut a dry wood. The scroll saw will not cut the wet or damp wood properly.
- Be cautious while cutting heavier or thicker materials. Never rush and take your time.
- The table must be at the middle level i.e., at the appropriate position.
- You don’t need to apply extra force. You only have to guide the piece over the outline.
- Screw or bolt the workpiece to the work surface. This ensures accuracy while cutting.
- You can use oil on the blades to increase their life and prevent them from rusting.
1. Can you suggest one important safety rule while using the scroll saw?
You always have to use the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and maintain the speed.
2. Which blade can cut in any direction?
A spiral blade allows the scroll saw to make cuts in any direction.
3. How can I maintain the life and quality of the blades?
Don’t put extra pressure on the blades. Also, try using a thicker blade than the one you are using.
A scroll saw (in comparison to jigsaw) is an essential tool for making intricate designs on different materials. It provides accurate and ﬁne results. The affordable price and various beneﬁts make it a perfect choice for the crafters. Also, if you can use it correctly and follow the basic but necessary steps, then you will get the perfect results in a short time. Moreover, you can prefer a good sawzall too. Further, you can take the help of the instructions manual to achieve more safety while using the scroll saw.