If you are doing any exterior designs for your home then the best way you can use is aluminum siding. Aluminum siding is a cost-effective method that helps you when you are thinking of home decorating. And also it is an easy and quick way to do it on yourself. There are different styles in your aluminum siding that you can choose. It may be of weatherproof, waterproof, protection, etc. As the aluminum metal is reliable material to work it has many advantages. The main advantages that you find in this section are, it is more durable, it is of low cost, it can be customized easily. So how to cut aluminum siding.
How To Cut Aluminum Siding – Step By Step Guide
Total Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Prepare With The Basic Tools
The main and the first step that you should do for cutting the aluminum siding is making sure that you should have all the tools that have been mentioned in the article. Take your time to set up the different and required types of equipment you need and be ready with the safety measures. Before starting your work set yourself by the gloves and goggles. As it will give you the protection. While you are cutting the aluminum siding be sure that you are using the panel.
Step 2: Making The Measurements
If you want the precise results then your measurements should also be precise. So the next method is taking the measurements. If there is a small change in taking the measurements then your work may become poor and unsatisfied for you. So make all the measurements using the tape and mark precisely. So be sure of taking the measurements.
Step 3: Cutting Aluminum Siding
The third step is cutting the width. After you are done with the precise measurements, take the siding to your workplace, it may be your garage, any home area, can also be lawn in your home. And start to cut the width. Use the tin snips for the countered lines. If you are doing curved cuts then don’t use the nibbler. But you can use those nibbler to use it on the long horizontal cuts.
Step 4: Using The Tin Snips
Some of the aluminum siding cuts will be different from the straight cuts that you make using the circular saw or the miter saw. These different types of cuts are not easily done using the circular saw or the miter saw. So you have to use the tin snips which makes your work easier. So the next step is using the tin snips.
This is for making precise cuts. There are three kinds of tin snips. One is the green tin snip. This green tin snip is for the right side cutting users and the straight cuts. The second kind is the yellow tin snip. Yellow tin snip is for the straight and wide cuts.
The third kind of snip is a red tin snip. It is for the straight and left side user cuts. Majorly the yellow tin snips are not used while cutting the aluminum siding. These tin snips are also used when you are trimming. And even in cases like if you want to trim a section while you are using the saw, then you can use these tin snips.
Step 5: The Long Cuts
If you need any horizontal cut then use the miter saw or the chop saw. You can use a miter saw or radial arm saw also. While using the saw be sure that you are cutting slowly. Along with the safety precautions like goggles for your eyes and gloves for your hands.
Then place the aluminum siding around the windows and the doors. And start cutting horizontally from the top of the aluminum siding. It will give you a clean and professional cut. It’s better to use the power saw when the place of cutting is wide. And using a tin snip is better if the area is thin.
Step 6: Checking The Accuracy
The final step is checking the accuracy. Make a check that you have cut very precisely. And also be sure that the edges are smooth and good. If not try to smooth the edge using the required tools for that. After this, you are completely done with your aluminum siding to your home décor.
Things You Would Need To Cut The Aluminum Siding
The basic materials that you need for cutting the aluminum siding are,
- The chop saw.
- The radial arm saw.
- The panel blade.
- The tin snips.
- The nibbler.
- The safety goggles.
- The leather gloves.
These are the materials you need for cutting the aluminum siding. I know you may be confused about buying the products. So below there is a list of best products from amazon.com. I hope this helps you to buy the best products for your work.
1. Porter-Cable Chop Saw
- 15 Amp, 3,800 Rpm Motor With Replaceable Brushes Provides Power And Durability For The Chop Saw
- Quick-Release Material Clamp Of The Metal Chop Saw Allows For Easy Material Cutting And Removal
- Cutting Fence With Miter Adjustment Of The Metal Cutting Saw Allows Up To 45 Degree Angles To Be Cut
- This product of chop saw uses 15 amp motor which runs 3800 rpm.
- This product has replaceable brushes.
- This chop saw has a quick-release clamp.
- This product has a heavy steel base which helps in more stability.
- The product of chop saw is a spark deflector.
2. Craftsman CMHT73756 Metal Snips
- CUT CAPACITY OF TIN SNIPS: Cuts up to 18GA (1.2mm) cold-rolled steel or 22GA (0.7mm) stainless steel.
- EASE OF USE: Spring-assisted latch on metal snips for fast one-handed operation
- DURABILITY: Induction hardened cutting edge on snips for sheet metal stays sharp longer (compared to non-induction...
- The metal snips can cut from 18 gauges of steel to 22 gauges of steel.
- This product has spring support for one-handed use.
- The metal snips have a ¼ inches of blade marking.
- This product of metal snips has an induction hardened cutting edge.
3. DeWalt DWS779 Miter Saw
- Stainless steel miter detent plate of the 12-inch miter saw blade comes with 10 positive stops
- The mitre saw has a precise miter system and machined base fence support
- Precise miter system and machined base fence support Cam-lock miter handle with detent override delivers quick and...
- The cutting thickness of this miter saw is about 6.75 inches.
- This product has a super dust collection system which collects the dust from your workspace.
- The product contains,
- A-One sliding compound cord miter saw,
- A 12-inch carbide blade,
- A-One blade wrench.
- The product of DEWALT is a slide-type milter saw.
4. Crescent Wiss Metal Snips
- Cuts straight and slight curves with yellow handles for quick identification
- Ergonomic, single handed latch operation for left or right handed use
- Precision cast molybdenum blades with conk ground edges and serrations for cutting low carbon, cold rolled 18 gauge...
- Makes a straight and slight curve.
- This product has molybdenum blades.
- It can cut low carbon, 18 gauge steel.
- This product has non slip handle grips.
- The specialized design of this CRESCENT WISS metal snips will minimize folding and burrs.
5. Makita JN1601 Nibbler
- For clean and precise work in keystone plate, deck plate and other sheet materials
- Slim and ergonomic body design for easy gripping
- Die rotates 360°; large 1/4" stroke
- This product is used in the working of the keystone plate, the deck plate, and the other sheet materials.
- This nibbler is double insulated.
- This product of nibbler has a built-in thickness gauge.
- This nibbler is very light.
- It is very easy to handle.
- Never use a circular saw for the aluminum siding as it damages the blade.
- When using the tin snips be sure that you have made the marks clearly while measuring and marking.
- While cutting with the tin snips you should cut slowly.
- Nowadays 4D nails are used for installing aluminum siding. As it gives you a pretty look.
1. Which is the best tool for cutting the aluminum siding?
The miter saw or the tin snips are used for cutting the aluminum siding.
2. Can we use the circular saw to cut the aluminum siding?
No, you cannot use the circular saw to cut the aluminum siding because it damages your aluminum siding.
3. Can we use a wood blade for cutting the aluminum siding?
Yes, we can use the wood blade for cutting the aluminum siding, but you have to choose the right blades.
4. Can we use the jigsaw for cutting the aluminum siding?
Yes, we can use the jigsaw for cutting the aluminum siding. But you have to use the right metal cutting blade with the jigsaw as it gives smooth and accurate cuts.
5. Which tin snips are usually used in cutting the aluminum siding?
While cutting the aluminum siding usually workers use green tin snips or red tin snips.
Decorating your home without more cost is done by the aluminum siding. So if you know how to cut the aluminum siding, and you can do it on your own then it very precious work. Cutting the aluminum siding is not so easy if you don’t know how to cut. At first, you might feel it as difficult. But now you know the steps about cutting the aluminum siding. This will help you to make easy cuts using the snips. Once you are done completely with learning the cutting of the aluminum siding you can easily do any DIY projects.