A drill press vise is one of the most important accessories used with a drill press machine. It holds the workpiece firmly in place while drilling. It protects the workpiece from damage. It also protects the person using the drill from any potential injury.
If you are a beginner, the installation and usage of drill press vise can be confusing. To help you out, here is our detailed step by step guide on how to use a drill press vise.
Things You Would Need
Apart from a drill press and a drill press vise, you will need plenty of other tools to install a drill press vise properly. You will need the following items.
- Washers, 3/8 inch: Washers are used to prevent corrosion while tightening a screw or a bolt. The size of the washer being used should be the same as the size of the bolt.
- Bolts, 3/8 inch: You will need these to fix the drill press vise on the drill press table.
- Nuts, 3/8 inch: To fasten the bolts securely.
- Socket, 9/16 inch: A socket wrench (attached to a ratchet).
- Ratchet, 3/8 inch: A ratchet is used to fasten as well as loosen nuts and bolts.
- Permanent marker: A marker will be needed to mark the holes.
- Drill bit, 9/16 inch: Drill bit for drilling holes. Primary requirement.
- Drill motor: Well, you need this one. This is where the drill bit gets attached to.
- Safety glasses: Must be worn properly before you start drilling. Never operate a drill press without wearing safety glasses.
- Cutting and tapping fluid: Cutting and tapping fluid acts as a lubricant and reduces friction. It is applied to the drill bit before drilling.
How To Use A Drill Press Vise – Step By Step Guide
Here’s a step by step guide explaining in detail the process of installation, followed by how to use a drill press.
Total Time: 45 Mins
Keep the drill press vise on the drill press table such that one hole of the drill press vise is aligned with one hole of the drill press table.
Place a 3/8 inch bolt and a 3/8 inch washer into the aligned hole.
Align other holes in drill press vise with the drill press table.
Prepare a bolt again, with a washer, and place it in the aligned hole.
Take another 3/8 inch washer and place it on the other side (under) of the bolt placed in the aligned holes in the drill press vise and table.
Tighten the bolts securely by threading 3/8 inch nuts underneath the 3/8 inch bolts and washers. You will need a 9/16 socket attached to a 3/8 ratchet for tightening the nuts.
Complete the installation process by aligning each of the holes in the drill press vise with those in the drill press table, and fixing them with bolts, washers, and nuts as described above.
Steps To Follow If None Of The Holes In The Drill Press Vise And Table Align With Each Other
Place the drill press vise on the table in such a way that the center of the drill press vise is aligned with the center of the chuck of the drill press.
You have to create holes in the drill press table aligned with the holes in the drill press vise.
To ensure precision, after placing the vise as mentioned in Step 1, take a permanent marker and mark holes on the drill press table by inserting the marker into each vise hole and turning it.
Remove the drill press ( see the two types of press ) vise from the href=”%view_link%” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>drill press table . You will find circular marks on the table made by your marker, designating the location of holes on your drill press vise.
Put on your safety glasses and fit a 9/16 drill bit ( see the list of masonary bits) into the drill motor.
Lubricate the drill bit using cutting and tapping fluid. Drill 9/16 inch holes in the drill press table at the marked places.
Now put the drill press vise on the drill press table. You will find that the holes are now aligned. Just repeat the steps mentioned earlier for aligned holes.
Your drill press vise is installed!
How To Use A Drill Press Vise
Now we come to the next most crucial part of the article: how to use a drill press vise. Below, you will find a detailed description of how to use a drill press vise. Read each step carefully.
Carefully mark the place on the workpiece where you want to drill.
Open the vise jaws. You have to rotate the handle in an anti-clockwise direction to open the jaws.
Place the workpiece into the jaws. Make sure that the workpiece is not set on an angle with the drill. This will create uneven holes.
Once you make sure that the workpiece is in the best drilling position, close the vise jaws. The vise can be closed by rotating the handle in the opposite direction, that is, the clockwise direction.
Make sure to tighten the jaws of the vise so that the workpiece does not slip from the vise.
In the final step, align the drill bit with the mark on the workpiece where you want to drill. This will ensure precise holes.
While installing and using the drill press vise, there are a few things that you must take care of.
- Always keep the drill press machine turned off while installing the drill press vise.
- Do not turn on the drill press machine while clamping the workpiece to the drill press vise.
- Always take precautions while working with a drill press.
- Wear safety glasses and gloves.
- Make sure to read the user manual for specific details, even if it is boring!
- Always consider what kind of workpiece you are going to drill. The vise jaws are usually very hardened and can damage your workpiece if it is delicate. In that case, you may want to get a drill press vise that has jaw pads in it. You can also make your jaw pads.
1. I want to buy a micro drill press. Will the installation process be the same if I want to attach a drill press vise to it?
Yes, the process will remain the same for a micro drill press. However, you must understand that the hardware size will be smaller than 3/8 inch. In that case, you have to consult the user manual to determine the hardware size required to install your drill press vise.
2. Is a quick-release drill press vise similar to regular vise? Which one is the better of the two?
With a quick-release drill press vise, it is easier to reposition the workpiece than a regular vise. Also, it can be used single-handedly, and you can easily move the vise around. There are not a lot of differences between the two.
A drill press vise is an accessory that you cannot part with if you want a safe, secure, and damage-free drilling experience. Thus, it is necessary to properly understand and learn its installation process as well as its usage.
Do not omit any of the steps and always take precautions while working with a drill press.
Leave a Reply