A miter saw is a power tool used for getting professional results. In most of the workshops, this specialized tool helps in making cuts at a variety of angles. The saw has a blade mounted on a swing arm that creates angled cuts. It can also perform cut trim task efficiently. But you may wonder how one can use the miter saw and get the desired results. We will help with step-by-step guide on how to cut trim with a miter saw to get the best results.
Our Recommended Miter Saw To Cut Trim
How To Cut Trim With A Miter Saw – Step By Step Guide
Here are the steps which you can follow to cut trim with a miter saw precisely and quickly:
Total Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Preparing The Tools
The ﬁrst and foremost step involves preparing the tools for the cutting task. You have to make avail of all the things necessary for this purpose. You have to arrange a miter saw and blades to fulﬁll this task.
You have to make sure that you should have quality blades with you. The carbide-tipped miter saw blade is the best choice for trimming. You can prefer a blade with at least 60 teeth to get the perfect and precise results.
Step 2: Measure The Angle And Determine The Size Of the trim.
In this step, you have to determine where you need to place the trim on the wall. You can use a measuring tape to measure the wall. Also, you can overestimate the length of the trim to ensure that it covers the corners. You should remember that getting enough trims for short corners is vital. The angle of the trim is critical while cutting the trim with a miter saw.
Step 3: Wear Safety Equipment
This is the most necessary step while using the miter saw. Place your safety goggles over your eyes and ensure that they are safe from the sawdust. You can also wear a face mask and earmuffs to protect your face and mask, respectively. But you should take all the necessary precautions before using the saw.
Also, you should prefer to perform this task outside the home to ensure proper ventilation. If not possible, open the doors and windows to get the proper lighting and ensure safety while working.
Step 4: Start The Cutting Process
In this step, you have to begin the cutting process. It provides the ﬂexibility to adjust the angles with its adjustable base feature. For the ﬁrst angle, you have to turn the base clockwise until the saw reaches an angle of 45-degrees angle mark. The angle is visible on the angle gauge beneath the base.
After this, you have to place the edge of the trim to the left of the saw blade. Also, hold it properly to maintain the stability of the piece on the workbench.
Step 5: Rotate The Saw For The Second Trim
When you have completed the ﬁrst piece of trim, then you have to consider the second trim for cutting purposes. To get the perfect results, the angle gauge needs to point at the exact opposite angle from what you used earlier. This means that you will see a 45-degree mark on the right side also. You have to turn the saw to point to it and hold the trim to the right to cut through it. The piece you cut will ﬁt on the right-side.
Step 6: Check The Metered Pieces By Joining Them
After the trimming of both the trims, you have to check the result by connecting them. When you join the trims together, they will connect seamlessly. For ensuring more accuracy, you have to hold the trim against the wall or frame where you want to install it. If there is any ﬂaw, you can again do the miter cutting and obtain the perfect angles.
You have to ensure that the trim must properly ﬁt the door, windows, or wall.
Step 7: Trim the Piece And Fill In Gaps With Paintable Silicone Caulk
In this step, you have to make a square cut to make the trim down to size. For this, you have to use the 0-degree mark to chop through the ends of the trim opposite to the miter cuts. Then, you can easily install the trim and ﬁll the gaps with paintable silicone caulk. You can ﬁll the caulk with the help of a caulk gun.
The use of caulk is beneﬁcial as it removes the imperfections in the cutting. You can also paint the caulk with the same paint as of the trim.
Working Of Miter Saw
A miter saw is a tool that lets you make cuts at several angles. You can perform various tasks with a miter saw such as making cuts for crown molding, door and picture frames, etc. The blade ﬁtted on a swing arm swings left or right to produce quick angled cuts.
There Are Three Types Of Miter Saws Available:
- Compound Miter Saw
- Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Dual Compound Miter Saw
1. Compound Miter Saw
A compound miter saw has blades that pivot left and right to create angled cuts. It tilts in a single direction for developing beveled cuts. As the name of the equipment suggests, it produces compound miter cuts. You have to manipulate the saw on both of its axes at once to fulﬁll this purpose. This saw is an ideal tool for performing several jobs. If you want to make angled cuts in two planes, then this saw is a suitable choice. It can be used for crown molding, picture frames, or projects requiring angled cuts.
2. Sliding Compound Miter Saw
A sliding compound miter saw has all the versatile features of a compound miter saw, including the sliding feature also. It is quite similar to a radial arm saw and allows the movement of the blade in both forward and backward directions. The significant advantage of using this tool is that it makes large cuts than other saws.
3. Dual Compound Miter Saw
A dual compound miter saw has features similar to a compound miter saw. The primary difference between these tools is the directions in which they can tilt. The compound miter saw tilts in only one direction, whereas the dual compound miter saw can tilt both left and right to create bevel cuts. It has the potential to create bevel cuts quickly and accurately.
Beneﬁts Of Using Miter Saw
- The biggest beneﬁt of using a compound miter saw is that it is easy to use. It is suitable for the workplaces and even for the beginners. In case you are using it for the ﬁrst time, you can also use it to cut any material. You can easily do the small tasks of your house with this miter saw. The instructions manual also make your job easier and get accurate results.
- It is a useful tool for saving time and effort. This is because it creates broader cuts and saves time by cutting a large piece of material quickly. The high-speed performance of the blade ensures to fulﬁll the task in a short period.
- You can make different kinds of cuts at various angles. First of all, compound miter saw creates a broader cut and reduces the efforts to make the cuts again. Also, the sliding compound saw can tilt both left and right to create bevel cuts.
- This powerful tool provides quality cuts and proper ﬁnishing. It can create cuts in any material and provide smooth cuts. You don’t need to worry about the rough edges or cuts while using the miter saw.
- Most of the workshops prefer this tool because it provides precise results and generates accurate cuts. It is the best option available to the carpenters and crafters. It has a locking feature that allows creating detailed angles every time.
- You can also cut the trim accurately with a miter saw. The high-quality blades make this thing possible. You can easily create the trim for both windows and doors.
Best Two Miter Saws Available
1. Dewalt DWS779 12-inch Miter Saw
- Stainless steel miter detent plate of the 12-inch miter saw blade comes with 10 positive stops
- The mitre saw has a precise miter system and machined base fence support
- Precise miter system and machined base fence support Cam-lock miter handle with detent override delivers quick and...
- The Dewalt DWS779 is a 12-inch sliding compound miter saw. This increases the quality of work and helps to complete it in a shorter period.
- It includes a powerful motor of 15 AMP, which has the potential to spin the blades at maximum speed and cutting the materials quickly.
- The miter saw offers a maximum no-load speed of 3800 RPM. This makes the 12-inch blades to spin at their maximum limit.
- It can cut the material of 2×16 inches at 90 degrees and lumber of 2×12 inches at a 45 degree.
- You also get the ﬂexibility of miter cuts on both left and right. This means you can perform a miter cut of 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left. It also has a bevel range of 49 degrees in both the left and right directions.
2. Dewalt DWS780 Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- Integrated CUTLINE Blade Positioning System provides adjustment free cut line indication for better accuracy and...
- Powerful 15 Amp, 3,800 rpm motor delivers extended power and durability for the mitre saw
- Super-efficient dust collection system of DEWALT miter saw captures over 75% of dust generated
- The Dewalt DWS780 is a double bevel sliding compound miter saw used to enhance the quality of work and getting desired results.
- It has a powerful motor of 15 AMP, which can spin the blades at full speed and to cut the materials easily. This also helps in slashing a stock of materials effectively.
- The miter saw offers a maximum no-load speed of 3800 RPM. This makes the 12-inch blades to spin at their maximum limit. This high rotation speed reduces the time taken to perform a task.
- You will get the positive stops at all the angles required at your workplace on both the miter and bevel adjustments. The range of up to 49 degrees is available in both the left and right directions.
- It requires a little bit of extra space for its proper working. This means that you have to leave a small area behind it to allow for the full use of the fence.
Things You Will Need
- Miter Saw and high-quality blades
- Safety Equipment, such as eye goggles or glasses, earmuffs, and face mask
- Measuring tape or combination square
- Silicone caulk and caulk gun
Tips To Remember
- You have to allow the miter saw to reach its maximum speed before using it. It means that you need to wait for the full speed before putting it down on the workpiece.
- Ensure to get a high-quality blade. You should buy the right quality blade because it is responsible for providing smooth and precise cuts.
- Always wear protective equipment before starting work. You should avoid wearing gloves, long clothes, or any jewelry. This is because they will remain at the risk of getting caught under the saw’s blade.
- You can also take the help of the instructions manual while working with a miter saw. This will ensure more safety and provide accurate results.
1. Which quality of the blade is best for cutting the trim with a miter saw?
You can prefer a carbide-tipped miter saw blade for this purpose.
2. How to insert the silicone caulk with a caulk gun?2.
Ans. Follow these steps
• Place the nozzle near the place to be ﬁlled.
• Move the caulk gun slowly along the gap, keep a hold of the caulk gun’s trigger.
• Paint the caulk with the same color as the trim.
Miter saw it is a powerful and specialized tool that can be used for several cutting purposes. It can make angled cuts and bevel cuts. It is a perfect tool for the workshops due to its potential to give better results. To cut the trim also, this tool is a suitable option. You will get proper angled cuts with fewer efforts. Also, it is ideal for beginners as well and provides the desired outcomes in every cutting project.